Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,055 Members 48,462 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Random reboots? CM11.

Tip us?
 
Blancos4Lyf
Old
#1  
Blancos4Lyf's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 105
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sydney, NSW
Exclamation [Q] Random reboots? CM11.

Hey

I'm constantly having this problem where my phone randomly reboots, It'll happen when I get a call, or when I'm in the middle of typing.
I'm on CM11, I have tried a factory reset.
It doesn't happen when I'm not using the phone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Seems like I'm going to have to give it a complete wipe and start over.


If any further information, like which bootloader I'm on is required, I'll be happy to help! :3
Kernel: Switch between stock CM11, and Temasek.


Thanks

Cyanogenmod 11.0 NIGHTLIES!.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3, N9005 International Snapdragon Edition.
 
nicholaschum
Old
#2  
nicholaschum's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,114
Posts: 1,733
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, ON (Hong Kong S.A.R.)

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blancos4Lyf View Post
Hey

I'm constantly having this problem where my phone randomly reboots, It'll happen when I get a call, or when I'm in the middle of typing.
I'm on CM11, I have tried a factory reset.
It doesn't happen when I'm not using the phone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Seems like I'm going to have to give it a complete wipe and start over.


If any further information, like which bootloader I'm on is required, I'll be happy to help! :3
Kernel: Switch between stock CM11, and Temasek.


Thanks
Well being an AOSP user on the Note 3 I can suggest you two things.

a) Stop using Swiftkey to reduce number of RRs
b) Stop using AOSP.

This is due to when CyanogenMod merged all three variant's CM build trees together and made it a unified build (hlte unified).

Video drivers play a big part here hence it will cause random reboots no matter what firmware. Those that don't have it as often also shows that devices are not the same. ROMs play differently on different devices.
ROM Problem? Try this or ask me on G+!
Root/TWRP/Kernel/ROM and KNOX 0x0 on N900W8? My guide.

Primary Phone: OnePlus One - A0001
Mahdi v2.7 14/09, ak v40b08, MR-TWRP 2.8.0

Secondary Phone: Note 3 - SM-N900W8
Temasek UO v133, Temasek v3.93, TWRP 2.7.2, NA2 BL, NB7 CP, 0x0

Tablet: Nexus 7 (2012)

OnePlus One ◆ Note 3 ◆ Xperia Tab P ◆ Nexus 7 ◆ Note II LTE ◆ S III LTE ◆ One X ◆ Note I ◆ Galaxy Nexus ◆ S II LTE ◆ S II


 
polarbbr
Old
#3  
Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 33
Join Date: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaschum View Post
Well being an AOSP user on the Note 3 I can suggest you two things.

a) Stop using Swiftkey to reduce number of RRs
b) Stop using AOSP.

This is due to when CyanogenMod merged all three variant's CM build trees together and made it a unified build (hlte unified).

Video drivers play a big part here hence it will cause random reboots no matter what firmware. Those that don't have it as often also shows that devices are not the same. ROMs play differently on different devices.
I am on cm11 08/10 release, so far no reboots for the past week. I didn't play video though.
By the way, what rom do you recommend, TW rom? Thanks.
 
nicholaschum
Old
#4  
nicholaschum's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,114
Posts: 1,733
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, ON (Hong Kong S.A.R.)

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbbr View Post
I am on cm11 08/10 release, so far no reboots for the past week. I didn't play video though.
By the way, what rom do you recommend, TW rom? Thanks.
Your phone doesn't only use the GPU to watch video.... It uses GPU for a lot more things such as processing of window animations... Etc.
ROM Problem? Try this or ask me on G+!
Root/TWRP/Kernel/ROM and KNOX 0x0 on N900W8? My guide.

Primary Phone: OnePlus One - A0001
Mahdi v2.7 14/09, ak v40b08, MR-TWRP 2.8.0

Secondary Phone: Note 3 - SM-N900W8
Temasek UO v133, Temasek v3.93, TWRP 2.7.2, NA2 BL, NB7 CP, 0x0

Tablet: Nexus 7 (2012)

OnePlus One ◆ Note 3 ◆ Xperia Tab P ◆ Nexus 7 ◆ Note II LTE ◆ S III LTE ◆ One X ◆ Note I ◆ Galaxy Nexus ◆ S II LTE ◆ S II


 
polarbbr
Old
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 33
Join Date: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaschum View Post
Your phone doesn't only use the GPU to watch video.... It uses GPU for a lot more things such as processing of window animations... Etc.
Thanks. In your opinion, which rom do you use or recommend?
 
nicholaschum
Old
#6  
nicholaschum's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,114
Posts: 1,733
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, ON (Hong Kong S.A.R.)

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbbr View Post
Thanks. In your opinion, which rom do you use or recommend?
Check my sig, it's up to date.

AOSP for the win, I hate TW with a burning passion.
ROM Problem? Try this or ask me on G+!
Root/TWRP/Kernel/ROM and KNOX 0x0 on N900W8? My guide.

Primary Phone: OnePlus One - A0001
Mahdi v2.7 14/09, ak v40b08, MR-TWRP 2.8.0

Secondary Phone: Note 3 - SM-N900W8
Temasek UO v133, Temasek v3.93, TWRP 2.7.2, NA2 BL, NB7 CP, 0x0

Tablet: Nexus 7 (2012)

OnePlus One ◆ Note 3 ◆ Xperia Tab P ◆ Nexus 7 ◆ Note II LTE ◆ S III LTE ◆ One X ◆ Note I ◆ Galaxy Nexus ◆ S II LTE ◆ S II


The Following User Says Thank You to nicholaschum For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Blancos4Lyf
Old
#7  
Blancos4Lyf's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 105
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sydney, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaschum View Post
Well being an AOSP user on the Note 3 I can suggest you two things.

a) Stop using Swiftkey to reduce number of RRs
b) Stop using AOSP.

This is due to when CyanogenMod merged all three variant's CM build trees together and made it a unified build (hlte unified).

Video drivers play a big part here hence it will cause random reboots no matter what firmware. Those that don't have it as often also shows that devices are not the same. ROMs play differently on different devices.
To be honest, I think it was Swiftkey, but I might just update my bootloader today, just for efficiency, thanks though! :3

Cyanogenmod 11.0 NIGHTLIES!.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3, N9005 International Snapdragon Edition.
 
nicholaschum
Old
#8  
nicholaschum's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,114
Posts: 1,733
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, ON (Hong Kong S.A.R.)

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blancos4Lyf View Post
To be honest, I think it was Swiftkey, but I might just update my bootloader today, just for efficiency, thanks though! :3
My friend updated bootloader, and I am on a 4.4.2 bootloader.

We both have problems with Swiftkey, as well as dozens of people on the temasek discussion thread...

So...you're not alone!
ROM Problem? Try this or ask me on G+!
Root/TWRP/Kernel/ROM and KNOX 0x0 on N900W8? My guide.

Primary Phone: OnePlus One - A0001
Mahdi v2.7 14/09, ak v40b08, MR-TWRP 2.8.0

Secondary Phone: Note 3 - SM-N900W8
Temasek UO v133, Temasek v3.93, TWRP 2.7.2, NA2 BL, NB7 CP, 0x0

Tablet: Nexus 7 (2012)

OnePlus One ◆ Note 3 ◆ Xperia Tab P ◆ Nexus 7 ◆ Note II LTE ◆ S III LTE ◆ One X ◆ Note I ◆ Galaxy Nexus ◆ S II LTE ◆ S II



Tags
annoying, help!, note 3, reboot
Thread Tools
Display Modes