Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,019 Members 55,302 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Should I reroot?

Tip us?

Marcel94
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Should I reroot?

Hi,

When towelroot came out I installed it on my note 3 so I could get root without tripping knox. Last night I installed safestrap to get a custom rom without tripping knox, but when I installed alliance rom on rom slot 1 it somehow also installed the TWRP recovery and tripped knox. So now that my warranty is void anyway I was thinking about
installing another rom, just the normal way.

My question is if I should I unroot my phone first and root it the root de la vega method or can I just install whatever rom or recovery I want with my current settings/configuration? Also when I boot my phone into download mode I still get the custom OS warning, I don't know if that's a problem or should I press continue there?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Free mobile app

vodeblog
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel94 View Post
Hi,

When towelroot came out I installed it on my note 3 so I could get root without tripping knox. Last night I installed safestrap to get a custom rom without tripping knox, but when I installed alliance rom on rom slot 1 it somehow also installed the TWRP recovery and tripped knox. So now that my warranty is void anyway I was thinking about
installing another rom, just the normal way.

My question is if I should I unroot my phone first and root it the root de la vega method or can I just install whatever rom or recovery I want with my current settings/configuration? Also when I boot my phone into download mode I still get the custom OS warning, I don't know if that's a problem or should I press continue there?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Free mobile app
Since you have tripped knox, no worry anymore on warranty. If you plan to flash new rom, you are always advised to have clean installation, meant to clean everything, else you will experience unnecessary problem. To backup your current setting, download titanium backup to make your apps and setting backup. You need to spend some time to familiarize with TB. It is very handy to help u restore previous rom settings and apps.

You do not need to unroot your current rom.

Sent from N9005 Tweaked Rom & Colonex Kernel R22
The Following User Says Thank You to vodeblog For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

antique_sonic
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,094
@Marcel94 :
I have never use safestrap anyway... so I have no idea how it works actually.
But... a clean installation will be good.
Grab latest firmware nd flash through odin, and go to recovery stock and do factory reset.
Then root with cf-autoroot, flash cwm/twrp.
Then flash ur rom.

Sent from somewhere under the sky, at the corner of this rounded earth
~WJ~
Learn.... Learn.... & Learn
Learn till you die, and you will die a happy man

Q & A for XNote Galaxy S5 (All Questions about X-Note Galaxy S5 PORT) :
[Q&A]X-Note G900F S5 PORT
The Following User Says Thank You to antique_sonic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Marcel94
Old
(Last edited by Marcel94; 29th July 2014 at 07:46 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for the advise guys! What do you mean with "go to recovery stock"? Will my recovery be stock again if I flash the latest firmware through odin? Nevermind, I already flashed the stock rom and got stock recovery, thanks!