Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Why are some ROMs only 200mb while many are 1.5gb?

OP rmbruntz

28th November 2014, 09:59 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
It seems there are two types of ROMs, but I don't know what the difference is. Can I have some help?
28th November 2014, 10:41 PM   |  #2  
Flag Calcutta
Thanks Meter: 137

631 posts
No ROM could be that small, 200 MB, at least not for Note 3. The standard size is 1.2-1.5 GB for a TouchWiz based ROM. If you have seen a ROM of 200 MB or that small amount in size then it must be an OTA update file, or some update package. The base ROM can never be that small.
29th November 2014, 03:53 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 49

279 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsdouble

No ROM could be that small, 200 MB, at least not for Note 3. The standard size is 1.2-1.5 GB for a TouchWiz based ROM. If you have seen a ROM of 200 MB or that small amount in size then it must be an OTA update file, or some update package. The base ROM can never be that small.

Well it could be a cm based rom since you have to flash gapps separately.
29th November 2014, 05:39 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Cyanongenmod's site has a bunch of these.

These are all around 200mb, and I can't seem to find a base ROM on the site. Are they just very simple ROMs?
29th November 2014, 07:27 PM   |  #5  
Flag Katachi
Thanks Meter: 9

52 posts
All cyanogenmod roms are pure android (even with out gogle apps, you have to download them seperately) being pure android means they don't have toucwiz,s-pen features and bloatware.
While roms based on the official samsung firmware are around1-1.7gb (because they have touchwiz which is heavily themed, they have extra functionality aircommand, airbrowse and spen features) so they tend to be latger in siE
Hope that helped !!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread