Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,420 Members 37,377 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Once again, Service Temporarily Unavailable

Tip us?

k1ng r4t
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q] Once again, Service Temporarily Unavailable

"Service Unavailable - Software update is temporarily unavailable. Try again later."

I swear every phone I've had, at one point or another, gets this message when I try to update. Nothing fixes it, I've tried it all. Only way I've gotten 93% of updates since my Eris is manually installing. In fact I think my first XDA post was how to resolve this, and I just had to do it myself.

So I found the stock KK ROM and, once again, will use Odin to install it and re-root, but why does this always happen? A few times, whatever. Almost all the time, thank God for XDA. Every time....ok what's going on? I backup and FDR before every update to be sure it's as clean as possible.

I've always rooted, but otherwise don't do anything. Is this just me? Does this happen a lot to other people? Is it purely coincidence? I can't find hardly any threads about it for the Note 3...

Basically....WTH?!?!

ShadowLea
Old
Thanks Meter 783
Last I checked, OTA isn't supposed to work when you're rooted...
SM-N9005 International Galaxy Note 3, DBT NB7 Stock
SM-G900F International Galaxy S5, PHN NCE Stock
SM-P905 NotePro 12.2 LTE Black, DBT NC3 Stock

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The simplest solutions are often the cleverest. They are also usually wrong.

k1ng r4t
Old
(Last edited by k1ng r4t; 9th July 2014 at 08:21 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLea View Post
Last I checked, OTA isn't supposed to work when you're rooted...
The thing with that is I have gotten OTA's when rooted, even ones that removed root. That may have been a phone or two ago though. But the majority of the time I get this. I just don't get it, does everyone else with root only install updates manually? Maybe I should try one of those apps that temporarily unroots so you can install an update...

bekasulaberidze
Old
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ng r4t View Post
"Service Unavailable - Software update is temporarily unavailable. Try again later."

I swear every phone I've had, at one point or another, gets this message when I try to update. Nothing fixes it, I've tried it all. Only way I've gotten 93% of updates since my Eris is manually installing. In fact I think my first XDA post was how to resolve this, and I just had to do it myself.

So I found the stock KK ROM and, once again, will use Odin to install it and re-root, but why does this always happen? A few times, whatever. Almost all the time, thank God for XDA. Every time....ok what's going on? I backup and FDR before every update to be sure it's as clean as possible.

I've always rooted, but otherwise don't do anything. Is this just me? Does this happen a lot to other people? Is it purely coincidence? I can't find hardly any threads about it for the Note 3...

Basically....WTH?!?!
OTA is not working when phone is rooted, unroot your phone and try to update.

Sent from my SM-N900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ShadowLea
Old
Thanks Meter 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ng r4t View Post
The thing with that is I have gotten OTA's when rooted, even ones that removed root. That may have been a phone or two ago though. But the majority of the time I get this. I just don't get it, does everyone else with root only install updates manually? Maybe I should try one of those apps that temporarily unroots so you can install an update...
These days, Root = No OTA.

The old method was : Enable survival mode in SuperSU (Pro needed) --> Disable Superuser --> Reboot --> Install OTA --> Reboot --> Re-enable Superuser --> Disable survivor mode.

Not sure if it still works though.
SM-N9005 International Galaxy Note 3, DBT NB7 Stock
SM-G900F International Galaxy S5, PHN NCE Stock
SM-P905 NotePro 12.2 LTE Black, DBT NC3 Stock

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The simplest solutions are often the cleverest. They are also usually wrong.