Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,642 Members 44,218 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] USB Media Mode and Charging

Tip us?

mneimeyer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] USB Media Mode and Charging

I have a new desk job and I've been abusing the new T-Mobile free music data to listen to Pandora all day which is killing my battery.

When I plug my Note 3 into a USB 3 Port it defaults to USB 2 mode. I know I can go to "USB computer connection" in settings and change it to "Media device (USB 3.)" to get it to change over. Does the fact that I have to manually change it over to USB 3 for data mean that I'm also not getting USB 3.0 900mA to charge with?

An additional frustration is that it is hard to test that because if I don't use the USB 3.0 to transfer data then it eventually "falls back" to USB 2 mode automatically. Is there any way to make it stay USB 3 when plugged into USB 3?

Thanks!

master123467
Old
Thanks Meter 0
It defaults to 2.0 because a lot of computers and laptops that people have dont always have usb 3.0, if you can do it you have the option to switch

mneimeyer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by master123467 View Post
It defaults to 2.0 because a lot of computers and laptops that people have dont always have usb 3.0, if you can do it you have the option to switch
Fair enough, but it seems like the Note has the ability to detect that it is plugged into a USB 3 port because it only offers the USB 3 media mode when it is.

Also, any ideas on whether the data mode affects the ability to charge at the higher USB 3 900mA instead of the USB 2 500mA?
Tags
charging, media mode, usb