FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] Screen Off Memo [Update: 21 Sept 2015]

337 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,853

By xperiacle, Recognized Developer on 9th September 2015, 12:05 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
It's been a while but here is another app I would like to share with those still using the Note 3 like me while waiting for the Note 6 perhaps.

Screen Off Memo is a feature I like on the Note 5 and so I decided to make one for my Note 3. I have not held a Note 5 yet so I don't know how the screen off memo works except what I saw on video reviews so the app may not be as perfect but it works for what I need it for. Any feedback would be welcome.

UPDATE - 21 Sept 2015
- fixed some issues with spen detachment starting the app even when unlocked
- toned the brightness of the icons as well as the pen strokes to reduce glare and offer more readability
- fixed issue with pen thickness in the v1.2 (some users like it thicker - I might include some settings to set user prefs in the future)
- adding new notes will trigger separate notification

Hopefully the issue specially on the Note 4/Edge has been solved.

Screen Off Memo version 1.3 can be downloaded below.

Install and RUN at least once from the app drawer so the app will be registered for the broadcast action when spen is detached. To enable the app to lock the screen when spen is attached, you must activate/enable it in Settings>Security>Device Administrator.

Based on user feedback I have retained the simplicity of the app. Just added ability to add new memo. Changed some icons for simpler ones. Cleaned up the code a bit to make it run faster and as little footprint as possible. Added option to turn off screen when pen is attached. And of course, it would now run on most Note devices (API 19 & above).

The app would also run on other Galaxy devices without spen but only when launched from the app drawer. But I am trying to find a way to trigger on the lockscreen maybe via a floating button but still a work in progress. I may work on it if there is demand but otherwise might just focus on the Note series.

At the moment I am testing an immersive mode version where no virtual buttons on the screen... just a whole screen of black space to doodle on and using sensors to toggle pen and eraser or the toolbar. Still a work in progress though but we'll see....

Anyway have fun and still your suggestions are welcome. But please keep the thread on topic.

It is a free app but please don't redistribute it nor modify it for redistribution. I don't mind if you include it in a ROM as long as the info page is intact.

Credits: BIG THANKS to @and2, @swiss420 and some others I don't know their xda usernames for their support.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-09-08-22-57-54.jpg
Views:	89994
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	3467259  
Attached Files
File Type: apk ScreenOffMemo_v1.0_Note3.apk - [Click for QR Code] (14.43 MB, 79220 views)
File Type: apk ScreenOffMemo_v1.2.apk - [Click for QR Code] (14.43 MB, 31518 views)
File Type: apk ScreenOffMemo_v1.3.apk - [Click for QR Code] (14.43 MB, 293018 views)
The Following 449 Users Say Thank You to xperiacle For This Useful Post: [ View ]

9th September 2015, 01:05 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 137

Donate to Me
More
Installed it on my note 3 but it just crashes when tried to open app.
If you're trying to make it work like note 5 then it should work when you pull your s-pen out while the screen is off.
And you can start writing on the screen and save it to memo app or note app.

Tried this app but it didn't work will wait to try it out if updated to new version. I don't know how to give you crash log. Sorry.
Nice Try @xperiacle

Edit - I got it working by changing my model number in build.prop SM-N9005

You might also wana look into this app @oluwaponmile
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to justforgot For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift justforgot Ad-Free
9th September 2015, 06:49 AM |#3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Beijing
Thanks Meter: 18,094

Donate to Me
More
@xperiacle man you are amazing. I just installed and it works like a charm.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Kamy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Kamy Ad-Free
9th September 2015, 07:17 AM |#4  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 994

More
Nice work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justforgot

If you're trying to make it work like note 5 then it should work when you pull your s-pen out while the screen is off.
And you can start writing on the screen and save it to memo app or note app.

Yes, works fine as advertised
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1441779450150.png
Views:	16870
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	3467552

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kopitalk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kopitalk Ad-Free
9th September 2015, 08:15 AM |#5  
Flag Ankara
Thanks Meter: 371

More
One issue I have is that when I try to reach that note in S Note, I have to pull it down, open in action memo, and then click the S Note icon on the bottom right part of action memo to open it in S Note. Is it possible to make it simpler, so that just clicking in S Note would open it in S Note?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Eleo Ad-Free
9th September 2015, 08:43 AM |#6  
Flag Halle
Thanks Meter: 1,142

More
@xperiacle I missed your genius mate. Thank you. Just a question is it possible to start the app while the screen is off or dont i just find it? Or because i use the Note 5 Air Command?
Do you have a bit more time now? I think ill buy a Note Edge and wait for the Note 7 maybe there is again a sd card slot and i wanne play with the edge.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to and2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift and2 Ad-Free
9th September 2015, 08:44 AM |#7  
Flag Halle

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleo

One issue I have is that when I try to reach that note in S Note, I have to pull it down, open in action memo, and then click the S Note icon on the bottom right part of action memo to open it in S Note. Is it possible to make it simpler, so that just clicking in S Note would open it in S Note?

But this is normal behavior for Action Memo and this is an Action Memo.
The Following User Says Thank You to and2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift and2 Ad-Free
9th September 2015, 08:59 AM |#8  
Flag Ankara
Thanks Meter: 371

More
Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by and2

@xperiacle I missed your genius mate. Thank you. Just a question is it possible to start the app while the screen is off or dont i just find it? Or because i use the Note 5 Air Command?
Do you have a bit more time now? I think ill buy a Note Edge and wait for the Note 7 maybe there is again a sd card slot and i wanne play with the edge.

As soon as I release Spen when phone is locked, it opens this app for me. Before this app, screen was unlocked when Spen was released

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by and2

But this is normal behavior for Action Memo and this is an Action Memo.

I agree, but when I write to full screen in this app, in action memo I can't see the whole text/image I have drawn in this app, I see it in a window only.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Eleo Ad-Free
9th September 2015, 09:14 AM |#9  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 994

More
Suggestion, would that be possible to prevent the screen to wake up when the S pen is dettached and re-attached back? Like in this video

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kopitalk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kopitalk Ad-Free
9th September 2015, 09:27 AM |#10  
Flag Espoo
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I tried this App and it is working perfectly. Great work dude.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to masham For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift masham Ad-Free
9th September 2015, 10:06 AM |#11  
Flag Halle

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleo

As soon as I release Spen when phone is locked, it opens this app for me. Before this app, screen was unlocked when Spen was released

Thank you ive forgot to reboot.
The Following User Says Thank You to and2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift and2 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)