Camera 3.8GB limit increase

Search This thread

kevinrocksman

Oct 18, 2009
@kevinrocksman
I will copy my answer from S5 thread:
Speaking from practical point of view: it's "mission impossible". The main problem is media recording engine working with 32bit sizes. It's inside native libraries and codecs - they all share common structures where sizes are encoded in 32bit variables. Thus, Samsung need to update this engine to work with 64bit variables to allow >4gb files. All your examples are from dalvik code and none of patch can fix it. Patching native code where structures are copying many times with dynamically allocated memory is super hard. It's also super hard to track all these variables in native code.

I see only one workaround which can be made: segmented recording. So, you can find right dalvik functions of camera and make patch, so camera will quickly finish record when file reach max size and automatically start to record into new file, and so on. This is the only solution possible, IMHO.

Hoping the note 4 uses 64 bit instructions. I want to be able to use all the space on my 128GB sdcard -_-

BudSpencer123

Sep 13, 2013
Is there a way to change the Resolution in the SlowMotion Movies.
SloMo is upscaled from 852x480 to 1280x720, the problem is the upscale using nearest neighbor interpolation (pixelated crap).

Awesome - Changing the upscaler to BiCubic oder BiLinear
Good - getting the unscaled 852x480 output

deV14nt

Jul 1, 2009
Even with a limit of 4GB per recording, but with some progress:
Uncompressed images in photo
65Mbit 4k (not 50Mbit)
44Mbit 1080/60p
22Mbit 1080/30p
192Kbit audio
no time limit in 4K mode (but limited yet to 4GB per file, so, the limit in time with this bitrate is 8m47s) (well i made it with 30minutes time limit, but we can change it.)

This looks awesome. Does it affect other camera apps too? And is there a way to force QUALITY_1080P to be 60 fps for example, or QUALITY_HIGH to max out?

Feb 11, 2011
the limit is because of the fat32 and exfat limitation

i have a 32gb usb and when i try to copy movies in FHD (8gb or more) the computer says that because of the format of the drive (fat32, even tried with extfat) there´s no possible way to send the movie because the limit size is 4gb, then i had to format the usb to NTFS in order to watch the movies. so unless someone here is planning to create a partition in ntfs this threat is useless. on the other hand the mod seems cool

idone

Jul 7, 2006
idoneapps.com
i have a 32gb usb and when i try to copy movies in FHD (8gb or more) the computer says that because of the format of the drive (fat32, even tried with extfat) there´s no possible way to send the movie because the limit size is 4gb, then i had to format the usb to NTFS in order to watch the movies. so unless someone here is planning to create a partition in ntfs this threat is useless. on the other hand the mod seems cool

exfat is not limited to 4gb. I have copied full .m2ts bluray disc dumps to my phone and back(exfat partition)
fat32 is fat32 and has always and will always be limited to 4gb max files.
This thread* is not useless, pretty rude of you to have said that.

exfat:
Max. volume size ca. 128*PiB, 512*TiB recommended[1]
Max. file size ca. 128 PiB (theoretical 16 EiB–1)[nb 1]
Max. number of files up to 2,796,202 per directory

minxtech

Sep 22, 2014
Reading through the smali files (100M/4GB Mod), I've noticed that there are more ISO settings (technically) available as you can even choose. I guess they are solely visible to the camera app itself.

It would be really nice to to shoot at ISO50 locked (4k / 100MBit/s). This would preserve more details when recording at 4k (For example, record in ISO50, 4k, 100MBit/s, transfer to PC and transcode to ProRes HQ using ffmpeg. Perfect 4k footage ready to be graded and denoised (NeatVideo) without falling apart).

Unfortunately I'm a total noob when it comes to modifying an apk in any meaningful way. Assistance would be appreciated :highfive:

Attachments

• smali_iso.png
    smali_iso.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:

kevinrocksman

Oct 18, 2009
Reading through the smali files (100M/4GB Mod), I've noticed that there are more ISO settings (technically) available as you can even choose. I guess they are solely visible to the camera app itself.

It would be really nice to to shoot at ISO50 locked (4k / 100MBit/s). This would preserve more details when recording at 4k (For example, record in ISO50, 4k, 100MBit/s, transfer to PC and transcode to ProRes HQ using ffmpeg. Perfect 4k footage ready to be graded and denoised (NeatVideo) without falling apart).

Unfortunately I'm a total noob when it comes to modifying an apk in any meaningful way. Assistance would be appreciated :highfive:

Like recompiling once u edit it?

zamcum

Oct 22, 2008
Hi

the credits of this mod are for: @rafalense, @jobnik, @alexhc18, @killa12222, @PatF and @kevinrocksman
If i forgot someone, let me know

This mod, is for international version of Note 3, N9005, with XXUFNF4 ODEXED .

Even with a limit of 4GB per recording, but, with some improvements:

Photo Mode:
- Uncompressed photos
NEW Feature:
- Take pictures With Power Button (Using power button as a shutter will show the power menu as well, but it will take a picture, just wait until it vibrates)

Video Mode:
- No time limit in 4K mode (but limited yet to 4GB per file, so, the limit in time with this bitrate is 8m47s)
- Slightly increased bitrate:
- 65Mbit 4k (not 50Mbit) - (Default 48Mbit)
- 44Mbit 1080/60p - (Default 28Mbit)
- 22Mbit 1080/30p - (Default 14Mbit)
- 192Kbit audio - (Default 128 Kbit)

As usual, leave feedback, and thanks to use this mod.

Download:

Last edited:

kevinrocksman

Oct 18, 2009
Hi

the credits of this mod are for: @rafalense, @jobnik, @alexhc18, @killa12222, @PatF and @kevinrocksman

This mod, are for international version of Note 3, N9005, with XXUFNF4 ODEXED .

65Mbit 4k (not 50Mbit)
44Mbit 1080/60p
22Mbit 1080/30p
192Kbit audio
no time limit in 4K mode (but limited yet to 4GB per file, so, the limit in time with this bitrate is 8m47s)
NEW Feature:
Take pictures With Power Button (Using power button as a shutter will show the power menu as well, but it will take a picture, just wait until it vibrates)

Download:

How did u make the power button a capture? I might need ur help with something

Reactions: cdss

kevinrocksman

Oct 18, 2009
Hi

Photo Mode:
- Uncompressed photos
NEW Feature:
- Take pictures With Power Button (Using power button as a shutter will show the power menu as well, but it will take a picture, just wait until it vibrates)

Video Mode:
- No time limit in 4K mode (but limited yet to 4GB per file, so, the limit in time with this bitrate is 8m47s)

Download:

Hay man can u update this, the link no longer works... urs is the only one avaliable right now, i accidentally deleted all my note 3 stuff on my server....

Hopefully zamcum has a copy..

zamcum

Oct 22, 2008

I did not think normal after more than 100 downloads, there is not a single comment to the mod above.
As I am prudent I imagined that there was some problem with the modified application, and people do not say anything out of politeness.
When i have some free time, I will thoroughly test the application,
I do not want to be held responsible for any problems in an expensive phone.
At that time, if all is well, I will restore the link, maybe next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: leonidas30

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi

Photo Mode:
    - Uncompressed photos
    NEW Feature:

Video Mode:

Download:
    Not sure if this is the right place to put this but back in the past I tried to increase the limit of the note 3s video recording size, I was able to increase the length of video but the file size limit seemed to always stop at 3.8GB (or in any case 4GB "4,294,967,296" FFFFFFFF). Now I would like to get this started back up fresh and new. I am asking for the help of developers to help me find what is causing the video recording to stop at 3.8GB. I will post up my original finds once I find my original thread and hopefully when we find this it will also work for the Note 4.

If interested in helping please comment here or message me. I am seriously dedicating 99% of my free time to figure this out due to wanting to record longer than 13 minutes (most I could get out of 4k).

Hexes found so far:

Size limit is fffffffff in hex (terabytes)
    CommonEngine.smali line 4279 for time limit (in milliseconds).
    MediaRecorderProfile.smali line 1028 for bitrate (in bits). All in hex.

Here is a small tool I through together from knowledge on the internet, it allows you to decompile an odex file easily. Compiling... I havent figured out yet

There is a small and a big one. The small one has all files needed to decompile EXCEPT the java files the big one has everything PLUS the java files needed. The camera file is included also.

If those links dont work try these:

Hi

the credits of this mod are for: @rafalense, @jobnik, @alexhc18, @killa12222, @PatF[/MENTION] and @kevinrocksman

This mod are for international version of Note 3, N9005, with XXUFNF4.
    Deodexed version may work on other firmwares. The Odex version, surely, only work in XXUFNF4.

65Mbit 4k (not 50Mbit)
    44Mbit 1080/60p
    22Mbit 1080/30p
    192Kbit audio
    no time limit in 4K mode (but limited yet to 4GB per file, so, the limit in time with this bitrate is 8m47s) (well i made it with 30minutes time limit, but we can change it.)

Make a backup first
    for XXUFNF4 deodexed:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/xmvc5wfpfizfa4c/ModCamera_XXUFNF4_deodexed.zip
    for XXUFNF4 ODEX:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/m34z7s950jh9bmg/ModCamera_XXUFNF4_ODEX.zip

and let we know, if all is ok

exfat is not limited to 4gb. I have copied full .m2ts bluray disc dumps to my phone and back(exfat partition)
    fat32 is fat32 and has always and will always be limited to 4gb max files.
    This thread* is not useless, pretty rude of you to have said that.

exfat:
    Max. volume size ca. 128*PiB, 512*TiB recommended[1]
    Max. file size ca. 128 PiB (theoretical 16 EiB–1)[nb 1]
    Max. number of files up to 2,796,202 per directory
    any way you can make these for NC5?

absolutely, but only deodexed version. I don't have that rom installed, to re-odex

Give me your SamsungCamera2.apk deodexed and media_profiles.xml, please

EDIT
    Or a good link (mega, dropbox, drive etc.) to download the stock rom