External SD stopped working

15th August 2014, 01:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

41 posts
My Note8 is about 3mos old and is rooted running on CM11. My 64gig Kignston was inserted on day 1 and left in, working fine. Yesterday the external SD stopped. My file manger, Xplorer, started running very slowly so I shutdown, took out the card and replaced it and restarted. It came back up slowly, 1.5min instead of 1.05. The SD card is NOT recognized when I look in Stettings:Storage but when I removed the card I received the warning about removing it without stopping it. My Galaxy 8 phone has the same type card in it so I swapped them. I can see and use the card in the phone but the Note 8 does not recognize the phones card.

Any suggestions?

Cen5
15th August 2014, 01:39 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 69

347 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturionFive

My Note8 is about 3mos old and is rooted running on CM11. My 64gig Kignston was inserted on day 1 and left in, working fine. Yesterday the external SD stopped. My file manger, Xplorer, started running very slowly so I shutdown, took out the card and replaced it and restarted. It came back up slowly, 1.5min instead of 1.05. The SD card is NOT recognized when I look in Stettings:Storage but when I removed the card I received the warning about removing it without stopping it. My Galaxy 8 phone has the same type card in it so I swapped them. I can see and use the card in the phone but the Note 8 does not recognize the phones card.

Any suggestions?

Cen5

Do a factory wipe and see if things go back to normal with the SD... if it does not, it could be hardware or a bug in CM11 version you are running.
The Following User Says Thank You to gooberdude For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th August 2014, 01:57 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

41 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberdude

Do a factory wipe and see if things go back to normal with the SD... if it does not, it could be hardware or a bug in CM11 version you are running.

By "Factory wipe," do you mean re-install stock firmware or just wipe it an re-install the latest cm-11?

Cen5
15th August 2014, 03:41 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 69

347 posts
Quote:

By "Factory wipe," do you mean re-install stock firmware or just wipe it an re-install the latest cm-11?

Cen5

For a soft reset... http://beforebuyit.com/hard-reset/sa...ata-reset.html

For a hard reset... http://www.tsar3000.com/Joomla/index...-to&Itemid=104
16th August 2014, 08:18 AM   |  #5  

8 posts
overheating sd card
I had the same problem.
The solution was that the card overheaded by use it.
I can read them in a card reader but not in the Notes 8.
I have exchanged the card and now this card is not so hot in use.
The Following User Says Thank You to as-a For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th August 2014, 03:19 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

41 posts
Thumbs up
Not sure what solved it but I did a factory reset anf flashed the latest CM11 snapsot. Mine was a couple months old

Cen5
28th September 2014, 09:02 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Went through 3 16gb Lexar cards - all failed
Quote:

Not sure what solved it but I did a factory reset anf flashed the latest CM11 snapsot. Mine was a couple months old

Cen5

I went through 3 Lexar Micro SD cards (600x class 10) all failed and sent back to Lexar. They kept replacing them but I stopped trying after 3rd card failed. At first I thought it was the cards, but now I think it must have been the Note 8. Once they failed they wouldn't work in any device and they couldn't be reformatted.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread