Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,290 Members 53,079 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] "Invalid magic string" - Downgrade Android 4.4 to 4.3

Tip us?

AlaronTamnar
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] "Invalid magic string" - Downgrade Android 4.4 to 4.3

Hi

I'm trying to downgrade Android 4.4 KitKat to 4.3 JellyBean

Had this error "Invalid magic string" when I flashed from Odin

Flashed a custom Phill Recovery and did a format /system /data thinking it would erase the Knox protection.

Now im stuck with no OS and I cant flash.

Any help?

ramjet73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5,682
You have to re-flash 4.4.2 KitKat from Odin.

Once you've installed the KitKat bootloader which is KNOX enabled you've already tripped the warranty flag if you have since flashed any unsigned firmware image (recovery, ROM, kernel) and once it is tripped it cannot be reset, nor can the KitKat bootloader be downgraded.

You can flash a Jelly Bean based ROM if you want but that will have no effect on the KNOX flag that you have probably already tripped. Users of supported devices who have not upgraded their bootloader to KitKat can flash @civato's FlexNote ROM if they want to experience KitKat on the Note 8.0 without tripping the Knox flag.

ramjet73
The Following User Says Thank You to ramjet73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AlaronTamnar
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] "Invalid magic string" - Downgrade Android 4.4 to 4.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet73 View Post
You have to re-flash 4.4.2 KitKat from Odin.

Once you've installed the KitKat bootloader which is KNOX enabled you've already tripped the warranty flag if you have since flashed any unsigned firmware image (recovery, ROM, kernel) and once it is tripped it cannot be reset, nor can the KitKat bootloader be downgraded.

You can flash a Jelly Bean based ROM if you want but that will have no effect on the KNOX flag that you have probably already tripped. Users of supported devices who have not upgraded their bootloader to KitKat can flash @civato's FlexNote ROM if they want to experience KitKat on the Note 8.0 without tripping the Knox flag.

ramjet73
Hi Ramjet

Thanks for your kind assistance.

Ive flashed the 4.4.2 KitKat with Odin and the device is working.
However, I was not able to flash the JellyBean rom as it prompted the "Invalid magic string" error again.

I'm using this Google Play: MultiWindow Manager app to enable all my programs to run multi-windows.

With KitKat firmware, I was prompted the following error message after rooting:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /system/csc/others.xml: open failed: EROFS (Read-only file system)

Hence, I would really need JellyBean back.

Any possibility?

Thanks!

ramjet73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaronTamnar View Post
Hi Ramjet

Thanks for your kind assistance.

Ive flashed the 4.4.2 KitKat with Odin and the device is working.
However, I was not able to flash the JellyBean rom as it prompted the "Invalid magic string" error again.

I'm using this Google Play: MultiWindow Manager app to enable all my programs to run multi-windows.

With KitKat firmware, I was prompted the following error message after rooting:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /system/csc/others.xml: open failed: EROFS (Read-only file system)

Hence, I would really need JellyBean back.

Any possibility?

Thanks!
Some users have claimed to flash back to 4.2 from 4.4 using Odin but that always excludes the bootloader and strange things can happen when using the KitKat bootloader with a Jelly Bean ROM. Here's a thread from the SamMobile website that talks about those issues. In theory flashing a Jelly Bean ROM zip should be the same as flashing JB with Odin since the KK bootloader can't be downgraded so I'm not surprised that you are having some issues.

There seems to be a variety of experiences when flashing a 4.2 ROM with the 4.4 bootloader installed and there is a thread in the Q&A section that discusses that. I'm running the FlexNote ROM by @civato and it fixes some of the KitKat issues like Spen alignment so I'm not even considering going back to Jelly Bean.

ramjet73