[Q] Can i use NANDroid backup to revert to old knox free bootloader

OP norits021

2nd July 2014, 09:38 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
Hi friends.
I own n5100 (note 8.0).I had 4.1.2 JB with build N5100XXBME3 (old boot loader without knox) rooted via CF Auto root,having recovery-cwmtouch-6.0.3.1.Ex4-GTN5100 .Recently I Updated to 4.4.2 Official N5100XXDND8 via ODIN.I have the nandroid backup of old firmware.can i use this NANdroid backup to revert every thing back(including reverting of new knox enabled bootloader to old one).this is because I dont like this new knox feature,specially when it shows the knox counter 0x1.
somewhere out of XDA forums I read that restoring old NANdroid just makes it worse and maybe bootloops or bricks may apear.
2nd July 2014, 10:03 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks Meter: 7,012

7,426 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by norits021

Hi friends.
I own n5100 (note 8.0).I had 4.1.2 JB with build N5100XXBME3 (old boot loader without knox) rooted via CF Auto root,having recovery-cwmtouch-6.0.3.1.Ex4-GTN5100 .Recently I Updated to 4.4.2 Official N5100XXDND8 via ODIN.I have the nandroid backup of old firmware.can i use this NANdroid backup to revert every thing back(including reverting of new knox enabled bootloader to old one).this is because I dont like this new knox feature,specially when it shows the knox counter 0x1.
somewhere out of XDA forums I read that restoring old NANdroid just makes it worse and maybe bootloops or bricks may apear.

No. At this point there is no way to revert to the 4.2.2 bootloader or reset the KNOX flag. My understanding is that the eFuse technology used for that flag is irreversible so even if someone finds a way to downgrade the bootloader Samsung will still be able to read that flag when the tablet is updated to 4.4.2.

ramjet73
The Following User Says Thank You to ramjet73 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd July 2014, 11:01 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
can I still use nandroid backup with no problem
aha.so regarding the knox counter and boot loader irreversibility ,will there be a problem if I restore using NANdroid backup.is there Any remarkable issue.
2nd July 2014, 11:07 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks Meter: 7,012

7,426 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by norits021

aha.so regarding the knox counter and boot loader irreversibility ,will there be a problem if I restore using NANdroid backup.is there Any remarkable issue.

No problem with the restore, but a NANDroid backup doesn't include the bootloader and it can't be downgraded with odin or heimdall.

My guess is that backups of most older ROM's will work with the KK bootloader but if you have problems, especially with booting, it may be necessary to do a fresh install.

ramjet73
The Following User Says Thank You to ramjet73 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread