Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] cant get the note8 to be seen by win8 (recovery mode)

OP senectus

27th July 2014, 05:20 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Perth
Thanks Meter: 118
 
860 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2004
More
I put the note 8 in recovery mode, plug it into the laptop and Odin (3.09 and 3.07) cant see it...
If I plug it in while that note is booted up into android, Odin will see it... but obviously i cant flash stock 4.4.2 on it when its booted up.


Any suggestions?
28th July 2014, 03:53 PM   |  #2  
CCallahan's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Rock Chalk
Thanks Meter: 692
 
1,972 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by senectus

I put the note 8 in recovery mode, plug it into the laptop and Odin (3.09 and 3.07) cant see it...
If I plug it in while that note is booted up into android, Odin will see it... but obviously i cant flash stock 4.4.2 on it when its booted up.


Any suggestions?

Assuming you are not rooted and are not planning to root. Is this correct?

Do you have the Samsung Note 8 drivers installed on the PC? Are you following the steps listed HERE?
28th July 2014, 04:10 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Perth
Thanks Meter: 118
 
860 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2004
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCallahan

Assuming you are not rooted and are not planning to root. Is this correct?

Do you have the Samsung Note 8 drivers installed on the PC? Are you following the steps listed HERE?

Yeah, not rooted, not looking to root.
I get as far as step 7 and the part where it says " Odin should show a yellow COM port in the second column. If you do not see a yellow COM port, you may need to run the Odin One-Click as Administrator and/or unplug/plugin the USB cable after starting Odin One-Click. "

I dont get *anything* in the COM port.
Also I've tried I watching the Device manager as i plug the tablet in and there is no change.
Its like the device isnt being detected.
BUT
If I plug the device in when the tablet is started normally the device *IS* detected, (and Odin can see the COM port)
28th July 2014, 05:08 PM   |  #4  
CCallahan's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Rock Chalk
Thanks Meter: 692
 
1,972 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by senectus

Yeah, not rooted, not looking to root.
I get as far as step 7 and the part where it says " Odin should show a yellow COM port in the second column. If you do not see a yellow COM port, you may need to run the Odin One-Click as Administrator and/or unplug/plugin the USB cable after starting Odin One-Click. "

I dont get *anything* in the COM port.
Also I've tried I watching the Device manager as i plug the tablet in and there is no change.
Its like the device isnt being detected.
BUT
If I plug the device in when the tablet is started normally the device *IS* detected, (and Odin can see the COM port)

What version of Windows are you running? It is best to use a PC with Windows 7 if possible because Win 8 is harder to get working with Odin.

Couple things you can try.....

- Try different USB port and USB cable (this is probably obvious and most likely you have done already)
- Make sure you are plugged directly into the PC and not a USB hub.
- While Odin is up boot the phone multiple times into download mode and see if Odin will find it. Sometimes it takes 3 or more times.
- Uninstall the Samsung drivers on the PC, reboot, and re-install.
- Try a different PC if you have that ability. Preferably one running Windows 7.

If all else fails, might be able to get Heimdall to work: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=755265
Not sure if it is confirmed working on the Note 8 so might have to research it a bit before trying.

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

From what I have seen posted in XDA Heimdall does work on the Note 8.
Last edited by CCallahan; 28th July 2014 at 04:39 PM.
28th July 2014, 10:20 PM   |  #5  
kuitsu's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Tampere
Thanks Meter: 5
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by senectus

Yeah, not rooted, not looking to root.
I get as far as step 7 and the part where it says " Odin should show a yellow COM port in the second column. If you do not see a yellow COM port, you may need to run the Odin One-Click as Administrator and/or unplug/plugin the USB cable after starting Odin One-Click. "

I dont get *anything* in the COM port.
Also I've tried I watching the Device manager as i plug the tablet in and there is no change.
Its like the device isnt being detected.
BUT
If I plug the device in when the tablet is started normally the device *IS* detected, (and Odin can see the COM port)

I just want to check if you know the difference between recovery mode and download mode. You mentioned in your question that you booted to recovery mode. If you are planning to flash software using Odin you should boot to download mode instead.

- Volume Down, Home and Power buttons boot to download mode as mentioned in instructions linked by CCallahan
- Volume Up, Home and Power buttons boot to recovery mode
29th July 2014, 02:45 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Perth
Thanks Meter: 118
 
860 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2004
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuitsu

I just want to check if you know the difference between recovery mode and download mode. You mentioned in your question that you booted to recovery mode. If you are planning to flash software using Odin you should boot to download mode instead.

- Volume Down, Home and Power buttons boot to download mode as mentioned in instructions linked by CCallahan
- Volume Up, Home and Power buttons boot to recovery mode

yeah sorry, bad use of words.. it was download mode. Recovery mode gives you format etc options.

Will try heimdal tonight, failing that i'll have to try and dig up a win7 machine :-/
29th July 2014, 10:15 AM   |  #7  
cheryanne's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Canberra
Thanks Meter: 55
 
284 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
I used odin on windows 8.1 without any problems.

Galaxy Note 8.0 Xposed Build N5120XXDNE4 / Baseband N5120XXCMG7 / Kernel SphereKat-Rev5.1 on Telstra LTE

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes