Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Read txt received on Galaxy S4 from Galaxy note 8.0?

OP varxtis

1st August 2014, 03:00 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
50 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
So im.as sick as a.dog right now. my galaxy S4 phone is being charged across the room, my galaxy Note 8.0 in my hands, when all the sudden i get a txt. i wonder... is there any way to view txts that i get on my Galaxy S4 phone from my Galaxy Note 8.0? currently my not is rooted if that helps. but.no custom roms or anything.
1st August 2014, 01:58 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 71
 
357 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by varxtis

So im.as sick as a.dog right now. my galaxy S4 phone is being charged across the room, my galaxy Note 8.0 in my hands, when all the sudden i get a txt. i wonder... is there any way to view txts that i get on my Galaxy S4 phone from my Galaxy Note 8.0? currently my not is rooted if that helps. but.no custom roms or anything.

OK, here is what I think will do well for you...

You can open up the firefox browser and get into outlook, to click on the links for both phone and tablet.

Ye must install this to your phone... https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=com.texty.sms

Setup your phones app before installing this to yer tablet... https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...htytext.tablet

Then setup the tablet to sync and send txts as if you are on your phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to gooberdude For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th August 2014, 12:11 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
50 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberdude

Ye must install this to your phone... https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=com.texty.sms

Setup your phones app before installing this to yer tablet... https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...htytext.tablet

Then setup the tablet to sync and send txts as if you are on your phone.

This method is amazing! Thank you so much. IDK if you're very experienced/intouch with VoiP, but I after trying out the app you suggested I noticed an option to make a call. After trying it I realized it sends a signal to the phone to intiate a call. Which was awesome too, especially since I have my BT Headset always on. But then the snowball started rolling and then I though... wouldn't it be amazing to get rid of the phone all together. So I had a couple of questions. Can Data plans be activated on regular tabs like mine (Galaxy Note 8.0 GT-N5110) ordoes one has to have the 3g/4g model of tablet for it to have its own Data Plan? Next, assuming one could have a tablet with its on Dataplan... Are there any VoiP with reasonable monthly charges and reliable service that will allow calls/txt to not only other users of the same app (like skype to skype) but from app to landline etc?
6th August 2014, 01:35 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 71
 
357 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by varxtis

This method is amazing! Thank you so much. IDK if you're very experienced/intouch with VoiP, but I after trying out the app you suggested I noticed an option to make a call. After trying it I realized it sends a signal to the phone to intiate a call. Which was awesome too, especially since I have my BT Headset always on. But then the snowball started rolling and then I though... wouldn't it be amazing to get rid of the phone all together. So I had a couple of questions. Can Data plans be activated on regular tabs like mine (Galaxy Note 8.0 GT-N5110) ordoes one has to have the 3g/4g model of tablet for it to have its own Data Plan? Next, assuming one could have a tablet with its on Dataplan... Are there any VoiP with reasonable monthly charges and reliable service that will allow calls/txt to not only other users of the same app (like skype to skype) but from app to landline etc?

The WIFI only version GT-N5110 has no internal capabilities for data plans, The GT-N5100 and the GT-N5120 both have internal abilities for data plans.

One option for home use is a Verizon share hot spot that is a box for Internet only and requires a data plan. As for portability, you could get car DC to AC adapter that will allow you to use while driving. As long as Verizon towers are available. You would then need to use some Internet phone service that fits your budget and requirements. Knowing that Verizon is limiting data even though they are doubling their LTE data rate, makes me skeptical on how much you will be able to use monthly even though you have a fast connex.

That is as far as I am with such a question, there are other types of data plans and share devices, Sprint seems to be the best deal for getting what you want, but it will be a wee costly, and not all areas are Sprint friendly.

Now if you can get a great deal on family shared data, you can look into getting dual hot spot devices that will double your data rate when setting them up to be bridged, via a robust router... Home routers are limited to one connection to the internet, so looking for such a router will be in the $150.00+ range. Depending on the brand and model, you can have 1 to 4 data connex. That is if your budget allows for such an extravagant option. Portability will be limited to transferring one device from the bridged network when needed, thus allowing internet to be active at home.

As for skype... they do allow calls to land line... but I have tested Text Plus with my AT&T version in the UK. It works well for an app, and even gives you a real phone number for txting and calls. There is a charge for calls but depending on how much you talk, it may less expensive than $9.00 per month VOIP options with apps or hardware to plug in between your existing network.
Last edited by gooberdude; 6th August 2014 at 01:40 PM.
7th August 2014, 08:26 PM   |  #5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 23
 
89 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
What you're considering is totally doable, but you don't have the right device. My previous device was a Verizon branded Tab 7.7 that I used as my primary phone via VoIP on their LTE network. Overall, it worked 80-85% as well as a cellphone. When I accidentally destroyed it, I replaced it with the N5100, which I have on a smartphone plan with AT&T.

In order to be a practical replacement for a cellphone, the tablet itself must have built in connectivity, otherwise you'd also have to carry around a hotspot device. Dealing with two devices, battery issues, etc. makes that impractical in comparison to just using a smartphone.

There are many VoIP options, and the cost range from free to expensive. It depends on your needs. Most allow calling and texting to anyone anywhere. I can't make specific suggestions without knowing more about your needs, but I'll describe the process. The first issue issue is the phone number and who has control of it. Do you have a number that you're attached to or are you ok with any assigned number. This influences the second issue, do you want an all in one integrated solution like Skype, or a modular solution, which allows more flexibility. Third, is this going to be used across multiple devices and what kind are they. Lastly, how robust/reliable does the setup need to be (ie. is it your primary phone or just something to play with).

I was initially attracted to using a tablet as a phone to save money. Tablets cost less than smartphones and data only plans are cheaper than smartphones plans. Then I quickly got addicted to the screen size. A tablet makes almost every task easier or more enjoyable compared to doing it on a regular size phone. But using a tablet as a phone did have drawbacks. The lack of an ear speaker meant always having a headset readily available (and charged) or using the speakerphone. Most VoIP apps drained the battery rather quickly. Call quality is highly dependent on network latency, no problem on WiFi, more of an issue when out and about.

I couldn't go back to using a regular phone as my primary device. I'm not saving any money by going this route, but for me it's worth the premium to have a tablet with built-in telephony capability on a smartphone plan. The N5100 is an awesome 8" smartphone.*
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes