Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,235 Members 51,942 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] soft brick..no os detected.. help?

Tip us?

kombobreaker
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] soft brick..no os detected.. help?

First off, I am completely new to rooting so my apologies if I don't catch on to some of the terms being used.

So the other night, I attempted in starting the process in rooting my n5110 using the Unified Android Toolkit. I got through installing necessary drivers, flashing rom, installing twrp and then when i installed supersu, it had mentioned something about no binaries found. after some searching, I came to the conclusion that it might be the fact that I was on 4.4.2 and it was an incompatibility issue. I then tried cf-auto-root but after the flashing step, I was expecting supersu to work then but it wouldn't even load, just giving me the "supersu has stopped" message every time. So I instead tried a factory reset to try cf-aut-boot again but supersu just wouldn't work. At that point I tried uninstalling supersu but there wasn't even a option available. From reading around, I concluded that my device had to be rooted in order to do that but since I wasn't even able to do that, I got desperate and wiped my whole entire system with twrp which resulted in my os being deleted also...

That being said, I would really like to learn the in's and out's of rooting an android device but before that, if someone could give me a step-by-step process in restoring my device so that I could try rooting it again, that would be greatly appreciated. Then if someone could point me to a guide or site in learning about rooting since I'm such a "newb", that would be wonderful also.

CCallahan
Old
Thanks Meter 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombobreaker View Post
First off, I am completely new to rooting so my apologies if I don't catch on to some of the terms being used.

So the other night, I attempted in starting the process in rooting my n5110 using the Unified Android Toolkit. I got through installing necessary drivers, flashing rom, installing twrp and then when i installed supersu, it had mentioned something about no binaries found. after some searching, I came to the conclusion that it might be the fact that I was on 4.4.2 and it was an incompatibility issue. I then tried cf-auto-root but after the flashing step, I was expecting supersu to work then but it wouldn't even load, just giving me the "supersu has stopped" message every time. So I instead tried a factory reset to try cf-aut-boot again but supersu just wouldn't work. At that point I tried uninstalling supersu but there wasn't even a option available. From reading around, I concluded that my device had to be rooted in order to do that but since I wasn't even able to do that, I got desperate and wiped my whole entire system with twrp which resulted in my os being deleted also...

That being said, I would really like to learn the in's and out's of rooting an android device but before that, if someone could give me a step-by-step process in restoring my device so that I could try rooting it again, that would be greatly appreciated. Then if someone could point me to a guide or site in learning about rooting since I'm such a "newb", that would be wonderful also.
Since you already have a custom recovery installed, I would suggest just flashing a rooted rom. The type of rom depends on whether you want 4.2.2 or 4.4.2.

Might start with one of these and can then flash whatever rom you want from that point on:

As for learning about root....each manufacturer has different methods that work. For the Note 8 specifically there are numerous root threads in General and Dev sections that have step-by-step instructions (like CF Autoroot).
CURRENT DEVICES
Samsung Galaxy S5
Samsung Galaxy Note 8
HTC Flyer
Asus Eee Pad Transformer

---------------------------------------------------
On Hiatus

kombobreaker
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
thank you for that. I guess i have to do some research now in order to up my rooting game.

addison892
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I am like you. I only know enough to be dangerous, as I type this, my Note 8 is bricked and am trying to recover it.
As far as your SU concern, you need to turn it into an app. Get the pro version, and towards the bottom, after you open it, you will have this option to make it an app. This should help.
Good luck

Sent from my SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I was once told there is a thin line between LOVE and HATE...
Maybe I actually HATE the Detroit Lions