[ROM] VanirAOSP [official] [N5100 / N5110 / N5120] [5.1.1] organized, clean, fast.

Search This thread

ryukiri

Jun 17, 2012
Welcome to VanirAOSP. Our mission is to deliver a clean optimized version of Android to as many devices as possible. This is not a kang rom. You will find versions of the features you love that we've rewritten and improved on plus a few we wrote ourselves. we've tried to achieve a more organized and cohesive setup to improve the user experience while correcting any performance regressions and improving functionality.

You will not find customizations that are done just because someone figured out how to do them. Everything in here has a purpose and is held to a high standard of coding. Our ROM is build with linaro toolchain and global -O3 -fstrict-aliasing so everything will feel snappy and super smooth.

General features:
stock mode - ability revert to stock AOSP code with the exception of a few custom features we chose to keep active
enhanced performance.. longer uptime with less slowdown
custom written CRON and init.d.
minor UI and graphics improvements
custom navbar, navring, and hardware key features
active notifications (improved active display + lockscreen notifications)
usability improvements like power reboot menu and sound
animation control
Improved Vanir keyboard
CM's profiles & quicksettings
additional quicksetting tiles
immersive desktop <- fully configurable immersive mode
low profile mode
statusbar mods
clock & battery mods
lockscreen blur and other mods
soon to come -> quick cam and flash notifications
busybox, embedded root, init.d, cron etc
halo
heads up
hover
slim recents
active display
quicksettings style colors
statusbar clock color
many improvements and new features unique to vanir
more to come when i feel like updating the op

Installation:
1, factory reset
2. wipe cache
3. wipe dalvik cache
4. Flash ROM
5. Flash Gapps
6. Reboot

Join our Google+ community for news/updates
Nightly downloads are available on our google+ page or directly from our server

Downloads:
N5100
N5110
N5120
GAPPS

Please help me continue developing, or simply just toss me some loose change for a coffee

Sources:
tutorials for building, translating, testing
N5100 Tree
N5110 Tree
N5120 Tree
Kona common
Kernel source
Gerrit code review

XDA:DevDB Information
VanirAOSP [LP 5.1][N5100 / N5110 / N5120], ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0

Contributors
ryukiri
Source Code: https://github.com/vaniraosp

ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2014-08-24
Last Updated 2015-08-06

ryukiri

Jun 17, 2012
Reserved

Screenshots

2014-08-24%2B16.41.29.png
2014-08-24%2B16.41.38.png

2014-08-24%2B16.41.47.png
2014-08-24%2B16.41.58.png

2014-08-24%2B16.42.07.png
2014-08-24%2B16.42.21.png

2014-08-24%2B16.42.35.png
2014-08-24%2B16.42.51.png

2014-08-24%2B16.43.07.png

Last edited:

sputnik767

Dec 28, 2010
Two major issues that I have noticed so far. One, it does not see my 5.0 Ghz Wifi network. Two, I am seeing download speeds of like 300 Kb/sec from the play store on my 2.4 Ghz network, and Speedtest at about 7 Mb/s. I have a 60 Mb/sec connection and have no issues with any other devices, or this device with the stock ROM. I understand that 2.4 Ghz is slower than 5.0, but not that much slower.

Last edited:

ryukiri

Jun 17, 2012
Two major issues that I have noticed so far. One, it does not see my 5.0 Ghz Wifi network. Two, I am seeing download speeds of like 300 Kb/sec from the play store on my 2.4 Ghz network, and Speedtest at about 7 Mb/s. I have a 60 Mb/sec connection and have no issues with any other devices, or this device with the stock ROM. I understand that 2.4 Ghz is slower than 5.0, but not that much slower.

Did you do a full wipe? Device? I just tested and it connects to my 5.0 GHz Wifi connection perfectly fine with 2.2 MB/s speeds from the play store (downloaded Temple Run 2 as a test).

Edit: Sorry I just realized my wifi is not 5 ghz. I only have the 2.4 ghz connection. Can you provide a log? I'm going to talk to the core devs to see if its a known bug that exists on all devices..

Last edited:
Reactions: Genji1234

tanmays

Mar 10, 2008
Bhubaneswar
Is the sound problem on incoming calls solved in this ROM for N5100?

Sent from my GT-N5100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

glockman4519

Jun 5, 2013
Central Pa
plus.google.com
Which one of your kernels would you recommend to use with this rom if we want over clocking capabilities? I like to run mine between 1.72 and 1.8ghz., and just love your kernels.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using XDA Premium HD app

ryukiri

Jun 17, 2012
Is the sound problem on incoming calls solved in this ROM for N5100?

Sent from my GT-N5100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Should be. Uses CM's trees. I have made no modifications.

Which one of your kernels would you recommend to use with this rom if we want over clocking capabilities? I like to run mine between 1.72 and 1.8ghz., and just love your kernels.

Unfortunately, I have temporarily discontinued them so proceed at your own caution. I mainly do not have the time to continue them and / or resources test them since my Note 8 is a family shared device now. I'm still planning to continue them sometime in the future when I have more time and resources. If you want to use I guess make backups before and test all of them.

Reactions: tanmays

jewnersey

Jul 25, 2010
Are people getting the blur effect to work?
Second issue. Immersive mode disables status bar but leaves the black space in its place

Last edited:

ryukiri

Jun 17, 2012
Are people getting the blur effect to work?
Second issue. Immersive mode disables status bar but leaves the black space in its place

I'm not sure who's fault it is but blur haven't worked well on tablets here. PAC has the same problem for some reason. Both this and PAC are CM based, but I don't know if CM also has the same issue. If not then someone probably derped out while adding more features. And I actually haven't gotten immersive mode to work either

glockman4519

Jun 5, 2013
Central Pa
plus.google.com
Should be. Uses CM's trees. I have made no modifications.

Unfortunately, I have temporarily discontinued them so proceed at your own caution. I mainly do not have the time to continue them and / or resources test them since my Note 8 is a family shared device now. I'm still planning to continue them sometime in the future when I have more time and resources. If you want to use I guess make backups before and test all of them.

That is unfortunate as your kernel was a nice addition to the roms they were made for. It would be nice to see an AOKP, AOSP, AOSPB or CM style rom made with a kernel built right in it that had over clocking capability.
I will keep an eye on the thread to see if you start working on it again. At this point I am just happy to have access to the quality level of development that we do have here.

Reactions: joani_78

ryukiri

Jun 17, 2012
That is unfortunate as your kernel was a nice addition to the roms they were made for. It would be nice to see an AOKP, AOSP, AOSPB or CM style rom made with a kernel built right in it that had over clocking capability.
I will keep an eye on the thread to see if you start working on it again. At this point I am just happy to have access to the quality level of development that we do have here.

Ah..I'm sorry about that. When / if I start again, I'll send you a PM. Just out of curiosity, what ROM do you use as a daily driver?

glockman4519

Jun 5, 2013
Central Pa
plus.google.com
To be honest, I have this, dirty unicorn and CivZ touchwiz backed up and I restore to the rom I need depending on what I'm doing at the time. CivZ for work as I use the S note extensively, and Vanir lately at home as I am testing with it right now. And I really like Dirty Unicorn for the customization.
I think that Vanir is the smoothest running so far. I can't wait to see where this goes.
But to answer your question, it would be all three of these roms as daily drivers. It only takes 3 to 4 minutes to restore to the one I need.

Reactions: ryukiri

sputnik767

Dec 28, 2010
Did you do a full wipe? Device? I just tested and it connects to my 5.0 GHz Wifi connection perfectly fine with 2.2 MB/s speeds from the play store (downloaded Temple Run 2 as a test).

Edit: Sorry I just realized my wifi is not 5 ghz. I only have the 2.4 ghz connection. Can you provide a log? I'm going to talk to the core devs to see if its a known bug that exists on all devices..

Sorry, I flashed back to stock. It was unusable as is. But in general, I have noticed that AOSP ROMs have had issues with 5.0 Ghz connections on Samsung devices. That goes for this tablet and my old Galaxy S4. Interestingly, I ran a speed test on 2.4 Ghz that showed about 6 Mb/s, whereas it would only download from the Play Store at about 300 Kb/s. But either way, I have a 60 Mb/s connection over Wifi. I understand that 2.4 Ghz is probably maxed out before 60 Mb/s, but still not at 6 Mb/s.

And yes, full wipe was done. The device is the Wifi only Note 8, 5110

carlo67

Feb 8, 2011
I have the Galaxy Note 8.0 [N5120]
I downloaded this rom

but where is gapps ? download

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome to VanirAOSP. Our mission is to deliver a clean optimized version of Android to as many devices as possible. This is not a kang rom. You will find versions of the features you love that we've rewritten and improved on plus a few we wrote ourselves. we've tried to achieve a more organized and cohesive setup to improve the user experience while correcting any performance regressions and improving functionality.

You will not find customizations that are done just because someone figured out how to do them. Everything in here has a purpose and is held to a high standard of coding. Our ROM is build with linaro toolchain and global -O3 -fstrict-aliasing so everything will feel snappy and super smooth.

General features:
    stock mode - ability revert to stock AOSP code with the exception of a few custom features we chose to keep active
    enhanced performance.. longer uptime with less slowdown
    custom written CRON and init.d.
    minor UI and graphics improvements
    custom navbar, navring, and hardware key features
    active notifications (improved active display + lockscreen notifications)
    usability improvements like power reboot menu and sound
    animation control
    Improved Vanir keyboard
    CM's profiles & quicksettings
    additional quicksetting tiles
    immersive desktop <- fully configurable immersive mode
    low profile mode
    statusbar mods
    clock & battery mods
    lockscreen blur and other mods
    soon to come -> quick cam and flash notifications
    busybox, embedded root, init.d, cron etc
    halo
    heads up
    hover
    slim recents
    active display
    quicksettings style colors
    statusbar clock color
    many improvements and new features unique to vanir
    more to come when i feel like updating the op

Installation:
    1, factory reset
    2. wipe cache
    3. wipe dalvik cache
    4. Flash ROM
    5. Flash Gapps
    6. Reboot

Join our Google+ community for news/updates
    Nightly downloads are available on our google+ page or directly from our server

Downloads:
    N5100
    N5110
    N5120
    GAPPS

Please help me continue developing, or simply just toss me some loose change for a coffee

Sources:
    tutorials for building, translating, testing
    N5100 Tree
    N5110 Tree
    N5120 Tree
    Kona common
    Kernel source
    Gerrit code review

XDA:DevDB Information
    VanirAOSP [LP 5.1][N5100 / N5110 / N5120], ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0

Contributors
    ryukiri
    Source Code: https://github.com/vaniraosp

ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2014-08-24
    Last Updated 2015-08-06
    Reserved

Screenshots

2014-08-24%2B16.41.29.png
    2014-08-24%2B16.41.38.png

2014-08-24%2B16.41.47.png
    2014-08-24%2B16.41.58.png

2014-08-24%2B16.42.07.png
    2014-08-24%2B16.42.21.png

2014-08-24%2B16.42.35.png
    2014-08-24%2B16.42.51.png

2014-08-24%2B16.43.07.png

Wow. Got a score of 30,600+ on Antutu tonight, twice. Wanted to go back to this rom and try out some new apps and changes I made on my end and forgot just how well built this rom is. Hats off to all of you at Vanir AOSP and the maintainer.
    I posted the wrong one, this was the first try. After clearing cache and running process the second run produced the higher score. I could only post one screenshot as per forum rules so you will have to take my word on it.

Nightlies are up and running. :)