Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,356 Members 38,230 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Besides a screen protector, any point to get a case?

Tip us?

petercohen
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Besides a screen protector, any point to get a case?

I am using a Capdase case which is 411g. Together with the PRO 12.2, it is a bit heavy. If I buy a glass screen protector such as the one from MIME, is there any point to buy a case to protect the rest of the device?

ShadowLea
Old
Thanks Meter 875
Depends. How big is the risk that you might drop it? How do you store it? And how do you carry it around?

If you store it in a bag or sleeve, and you use a reinforced bag on the road, and the drop-risk is low, you don't really need a case. Nor a screen protector, it has Gorilla Glass 3...

Now, if you lend it to kids, or leave it on the table with kids/pets/clumsy flatmates, use a case.
SM-N9005 International Galaxy Note 3, DBT NB7 Stock
SM-G900F International Galaxy S5, PHN NCE Stock
SM-P905 NotePro 12.2 LTE Black, DBT NC3 Stock

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The simplest solutions are often the cleverest. They are also usually wrong.

petercohen
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLea View Post
Depends. How big is the risk that you might drop it? How do you store it? And how do you carry it around?

If you store it in a bag or sleeve, and you use a reinforced bag on the road, and the drop-risk is low, you don't really need a case. Nor a screen protector, it has Gorilla Glass 3...

Now, if you lend it to kids, or leave it on the table with kids/pets/clumsy flatmates, use a case.
I don't lend it to other people. I am just concerned about accidental drop that breaks the screen. As you know, it costs a lot to replace the screen.

I removed the case yesterday and immediately felt a big different in weight. The resale value of a used PRO 12.2 is about half the original price. I wonder if I should continue to use a case to make myself to hold the extra weight.

muzzy996
Old
Thanks Meter 178
Even with a case there's never a guarantee. I have the MIME tempered glass screen protector on my tablet but am not counting on that being much help when it comes to breakage. The intent of me putting it the tempered glass screen protector on is to eliminate the possibility of scratching the screen but still give me the glass feel.

Risk has far too many variables . . makes it tough to decide.

petercohen
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Gumdrop Hideaway Case

I am considering the Gumdrop Hideaway case but the weight is about 400-500g. Otherwise, I would have bought it long time ago.
I have an Otterbox for my Galaxy Note 2. I have dropped the phone by accident four times without having the device damages. Maybe the Otterbox made the phone difficult to handle. I am not sure.

Due to the size, the chance of dropping a PRO 12.2 is probably less than that of the phone during handling. What do you guys think?

When I remove the Otterbox, I immediately felt the lightweight and easy of handle of my Note 2.

Previously, I had a 15" Macbook Pro with a Speck case (about 500g) and a Capdase case for the Note PRO (about 420g). Haven't measured the Otterbox yet. So, I carry a fair amount of additional weight just for protecting my devices.

I think for MacBook Pro, we need a case since Apple's products are easy to get dents. For phone, perhaps it may be better to have a case since it seems that it is easy to drop a phone. For a large tablet made of plastic that is not easy to be dent, I am not sure. Any opinion?

mikespe
Old
Thanks Meter 71
I decided on the Otterbox case ($75 on Amazon)...it adds bulk to the tablet but I am a physical education teacher and will be using the Note Pro a work a lot. I need the extra protection...and I also bought a SquareTrade insurance policy...why both? Well the Otterbox is not a 100% guaranty the tablet won't break...plus even if I don't use the SquareTrade policy they have some sort of reward system where you get some money back or applied to your next policy. PLus it is transferable so if I sell the Note Pro the SquareTrade goes with it...which increases the value of the tablet on the market.

ShadowLea
Old
Thanks Meter 875
It's a shame the cases add so much bulk to an already big tablet. It makes the decision quite a bit more difficult..

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercohen View Post
Maybe the Otterbox made the phone difficult to handle. I am not sure.
Not quite, it's actually psychological.

I'll explain. I'm usually quite careful with my devices (lot of vital things on it.). I have never dropped a device out of clumsiness. (Which is not to say one has never been dropped. My old HD2 is still occupying the bottom of the Krimmler falls. Don't ask.)

My Note 3 is the first phone to have a case. In the first 4 months I had the phone, it had no case and never dropped. In the time since I put an Otterbox on it, It's dropped 8 times. Not because the case makes it less easy to handle (it actually makes it easier to hold and less slippery). But because I became a little more nonchalant with it. Because I knew it could survive the drop. I now find myself putting it on my knee, and shrugging if it falls off. It's quite disconcerting!
SM-N9005 International Galaxy Note 3, DBT NB7 Stock
SM-G900F International Galaxy S5, PHN NCE Stock
SM-P905 NotePro 12.2 LTE Black, DBT NC3 Stock

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The simplest solutions are often the cleverest. They are also usually wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShadowLea For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

petercohen
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I sometimes feel the same.