Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,957 Members 53,956 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Note 12.2 LTE Updates (AT&T)

Tip us?

Keaka26
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Note 12.2 LTE Updates (AT&T)

Hey All,

So I was in the market for a GNote 12.2, but I wanted to avoid the lag that I have associated with the Exynos lineup (maybe due to big.LITTLE transition?). So I was able to find a 12.2 on eBay that was being sold with a bad IMEI. I don't really care so much about the inability to access the LTE network since I can tether from my other devices when no WiFi is available. The reason I went for it was because due to the bad IMEI, I was able to get the tablet for less than the lowest price of a WIFI refurb model I've seen (which was $430). My question though is this: When the next Android update is approved by AT&T, am I going to have a problem receiving the update? They come OTA, but I'll never have a SIM in this thing, and the tab will never be registered to the ATT network.

Is rooting then flashing a stock ROM of Android L when it comes out my only option? Or will the OTA work?

In any case, I'm really loving this thing...

oldblue910
Old
Recognized Contributor / Archivist-in-Chief
Thanks Meter 2,216

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaka26 View Post
Hey All,

So I was in the market for a GNote 12.2, but I wanted to avoid the lag that I have associated with the Exynos lineup (maybe due to big.LITTLE transition?). So I was able to find a 12.2 on eBay that was being sold with a bad IMEI. I don't really care so much about the inability to access the LTE network since I can tether from my other devices when no WiFi is available. The reason I went for it was because due to the bad IMEI, I was able to get the tablet for less than the lowest price of a WIFI refurb model I've seen (which was $430). My question though is this: When the next Android update is approved by AT&T, am I going to have a problem receiving the update? They come OTA, but I'll never have a SIM in this thing, and the tab will never be registered to the ATT network.

Is rooting then flashing a stock ROM of Android L when it comes out my only option? Or will the OTA work?

In any case, I'm really loving this thing...
As long as there is no SIM card in the device, you should get the update. The only time the update system would scream and shout would be when there's a SIM in the device that isn't active. You should be alright.

AT&T uses RedBend software for doing OTA updates and it really sucks. haha If you try to check for an update, does it tell you something about the software update being interrupted? If not, you're fine.
Every OTA update for every Nexus and Google Experience device since the Motorola Droid at http://www.randomphantasmagoria.com/firmware.

LG G3 (LG-LS990 / Sprint) :: LS990ZV4 (Android 4.4.2 / KVT49L)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 (SM-T337A / AT&T) :: T337AUCU1ANF4 (Android 4.4.2 / KOT49H)
Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 (SM-P907A / AT&T) :: P907AUCU1AND7 (Android 4.4.2 / KOT49H)

Coming Soon:
Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 (SM-T707A / AT&T)
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910A / AT&T)

Keaka26
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue910 View Post
As long as there is no SIM card in the device, you should get the update. The only time the update system would scream and shout would be when there's a SIM in the device that isn't active. You should be alright.

AT&T uses RedBend software for doing OTA updates and it really sucks. haha If you try to check for an update, does it tell you something about the software update being interrupted? If not, you're fine.
Right now it just says no updates are available Didn't know if that would change once a legit OTA update (Android L) was available...

oldblue910
Old
Thanks Meter 2,216

DONATE TO ME
If it just says no updates are available then your device is registering properly with the system and therefore you should get updates.

Sent from my Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 using Tapatalk
Every OTA update for every Nexus and Google Experience device since the Motorola Droid at http://www.randomphantasmagoria.com/firmware.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 (SM-T337A / AT&T) :: T337AUCU1ANF4 (Android 4.4.2 / KOT49H)
Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 (SM-P907A / AT&T) :: P907AUCU1AND7 (Android 4.4.2 / KOT49H)

Coming Soon:

Keaka26
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Great news! Staring at the airplane mode icon and seeing the "insert SIM" message sort of drives me nuts, but getting this tablet pretty much brand new for under $400 made it worth it I think. Hopefully no unforeseen consequences will crop up.

oldblue910
Old
Thanks Meter 2,216

DONATE TO ME
Do you know why the IMEI is bad? I hope the tablet isn't stolen or something like that. :/

Coming Soon:

Keaka26
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
According to the seller, they accepted the device as a trade-in at their retail B&M store, and the IMEI was clean at that time. After the seller paid the customer, the customer reported the device lost/stolen to the insurance. It is a shady practice that is becoming more prevalent, unfortunately. The seller I purchased from is a popular and highly rated merchant on eBay...