Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Is Note Pro 12.2 Dead?

OP jsr0367

23rd August 2014, 12:29 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
I like my Note Pro 12.2 but it seems to me that Samsung has given up on this device? Any thoughts?
23rd August 2014, 01:07 PM   |  #2  
Flag Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 75

346 posts
More
What makes you believe that?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
23rd August 2014, 01:29 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
No updates or anything new about this device. Just my perception...real or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo99x

What makes you believe that?

23rd August 2014, 05:22 PM   |  #4  
Flag Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks Meter: 200

866 posts
First off it has always been my experience that samsung tablets get fewer updates than their phones do, and that it's worse with US carrier variants of a Samsung tablet.

With Google updating their core applications via play store updates these days the frequency of device updates doesn't concern me much. This tablet is stable and quick so I'm satisfied with what I have for now. I'm looking forward to an update to touchwiz but that won't likely happen until well after Android L comes out.

I don't know if this is obvious to everyone but many manufacturers tie significant software updates to product releases to give the new products some thunder. I wouldn't expect an update to the rest of the Note line until the Note 4 is out on the street. The same thing happened to the Note 10.1 2014 which saw a stall in updates while this tablet was being released and got its KitKat update after the Note Pro hit the streets.
23rd August 2014, 05:46 PM   |  #5  
Flag Enschede, The Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 1,034

4,145 posts
More
This thing already ships with 4.4.2. There is no newer Android version. And there is no point in an update if there is nothing to add and nothing severe to fix. It's that simple.

4.4.3 won't come out until the Note 4 ships with it. After that, it's the S5 first, then the Note 3 and S4, and then the rest. And unless 4.4.3 adds something special for tablets, don't expect it to be rolled out to any tablet immediately.
23rd August 2014, 06:58 PM   |  #6  
Flag Ottawa

346 posts
More
Samsung's 4.4.2 is a pretty mature build, no big updates are needed. We probably won't see an update till Android L (5.0?) rolls out. And yes all Exynos 5420 devices will get upgraded. My suggestion is to stop worrying about updates and just enjoy your device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dodo99x For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th August 2014, 12:30 AM   |  #7  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 4,400

8,972 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo99x

And yes all Exynos 5420 devices will get upgraded.

I'd never use the words all or definitely in anything having to do with Samsung. The N10.1-14, Pro's, and S's are all using near identical h/w yet all are running different versions of TW with different feature sets and varying versions of Samsung's s/w (EG: My Files, S Note, etc.) Lately, updates seem to be focused on the OS rather than bringing newer or more current functionality to older devices. The Note II didn't get any of the Note 3's enhancements, the N10.1 any of the N10.1-14's, and the N3 didn't get any of the SGS5's; even though they are all running 4.4.2. Hell, Samsung's rolling the updates they do provide out at a snail's pace with the N10.1 and N10.1-14's 4.4.2 update still missing from many markets even though the initial release was months ago.

The N12 was most likely always intended to be a niche device. All the market analysis says 8-9" tablets are now the sweet spot going forward with sales slowing down considerably across all sized tablets based on phablets being bought (especially in Asia) as alternatives. Samsung's tablet strategy over the past year has been bizarre. The N10.1-14 was announced and shipped in November of last year without nary a leak of its impending arrival. Then the Pro's were announced with much fanfare and the less than four month old N10.1-14 never mentioned again by Samsung. Then four months after that the S' orphaned the Pro's.

So it doesn't seem Samsung's tablet sales strategy is that solid and now between Wi-Fi, 3G, and LTE versions of multiple 8ish", 10.1" and 12.2" tablets all running different versions of s/w they've created a quagmire when it comes to updates; especially considering each of those tablets is also running different s/w across God knows how many regions each.

It would certainly make sense based on its selling price that the N12 would be a front runner for updates but its sales volume is well below other newish Samsung tablets. Samsung's logic appears random (did anyone expect the over two-year old N10.1 to receive 4.4.2?) hence avoiding terms like all and definitely.
24th August 2014, 01:11 AM   |  #8  
Flag Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks Meter: 200

866 posts
Thank goodness the software and hardware these days is better than the first couple of generations of tablets.

The Following User Says Thank You to muzzy996 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th August 2014, 12:44 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 55

288 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG

It would certainly make sense based on its selling price that the N12 would be a front runner for updates but its sales volume is well below other newish Samsung tablets. Samsung's logic appears random (did anyone expect the over two-year old N10.1 to receive 4.4.2?) hence avoiding terms like all and definitely.

And nordic one, N8000, is still missing that update - it is still running 4.1.2 - althought 4.4.2 came already on may in Germany.

There is no logic with Samsung. And im not going to follow that illogical train anymore...

Sent from my phone - Note 10.1 (N8000)
Last edited by enigma_x; 24th August 2014 at 12:46 PM.
24th August 2014, 01:08 PM   |  #10  
Flag Ottawa

346 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG

I'd never use the words all or definitely in anything having to do with Samsung. The N10.1-14, Pro's, and S's are all using near identical h/w yet all are running different versions of TW with different feature sets and varying versions of Samsung's s/w

Google has already released Linux 3.10 kernel config files for Exynos and Qualcomm SOCs. Work has already started to bring Android L to our devices.

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...-exynos-tegra/

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread