TWRP for Nexus 6 and 9 Available, Unofficial CM12 Alpha for HTC Explorer! – XDA TV

Team Win Recovery Project for the Nexus 6 and Nexus … more

Jolla Tablet Announced: The Second Sailfish OS Device

A little over a year ago, Jolla released its first smartphone with the brand new Jolla … more

Android One Devices Get Unofficial CM12 Port

Android One was initially announced right before Android Lollipop. By releasing these cheap, yet … more

WhatsApp Decides to Protect Your Data

When Facebook bought WhatsApp for the absurdly large sum of $19bn back in February, they took the tech … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Screen Flickering

OP Serinety

10th November 2014, 03:58 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Davis, CA
Thanks Meter: 348

785 posts
Donate to Me
More
I've read a few threads on the screen Flickering and there doesn't seem to be any resolution .

I'm on my 3rd tablet now (thanks best buy accident damage warranty!) And this one is flickering worse lately than ever. I updated to the latest firmware, yesterday only to boot up to horrible bouts of flickering during the setup screens.

The odd thing is, there seem to be no consistency to it. Some days it's so had I can't even use the thing, other days it doesn't happen at all. I use the tablet every day for notes or PDF viewing. I've used it with no magnetic cover (totally naked) and with the cover.. doesn't seem to change the occurrences.

I've turned overlays on/off force gpu render on/off.. nothing seems to fix it. Sometimes changing the overlay will reduce the flickering other times it doesn't affect it at all.

I hate to say it, but if I can't resolve it, I'm going to be forced to move to the surface 3.

I'm an electrical engineer and I've done as much trouble shooting as I can think to do.. but I've come up empty handed.

Anyone else have these problems? Has anyone found a definitive fix?
10th November 2014, 04:28 AM   |  #2  
Flag San Rafael, CA
Thanks Meter: 15

135 posts
More
I sent mine back 3 times. The first was a reset. Thanks for wasting my time. The second was a motherboard and that didnít do it. The third time they did a motherboard, digitizer, and usb port. It's finally stable and back to normal. After 5 trips back, the BB warranty triggers a new unit. Check if it triggers a refund.
10th November 2014, 05:36 AM   |  #3  
Flag Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks Meter: 191

835 posts
I get it occasionally, so far I'm able to resolve it by booting into custom recovery (TWRP) and clearing dalvic to allow all apps to rebuild. Sometimes this resolves it for a few days, sometimes a couple of weeks. Its a repeatable "fix" that makes me question if the issue is related to memory or trim or something like that. Kind of reminds me of how with the first generation nexus 7s one would see slow downs after a while and filing storage with fake data then deleting it would improve performance for a while.
10th November 2014, 10:53 AM   |  #4  
Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 74

330 posts
Smile
I'm definitely not a tender user of the device. I go back and forth between multiple ROM's and kernels on a daily basis testing what is testable, and unfortunately also what is not. Anyway, even though mine was bought as refurbished on eBay, I have never had any issues like the ones you describe. More specifically, I have never had any issues what-so-ever, that was not created due to my own ignorance. To me the device seems indestructible.

Besides, I would hate to be in the place of my device, or I would definitely have turned schizophrenic. Should I feel bad about pushing it through all this?
Last edited by arcadia2uk; 10th November 2014 at 10:58 AM.
10th November 2014, 11:24 AM   |  #5  
Flag Enschede, The Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 999

3,997 posts
More
Because we're trying to figure out if it's related to a specific device type, which one do you have? P900, 905, 907A or another?
11th November 2014, 05:51 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Davis, CA
Thanks Meter: 348

785 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLea

Because we're trying to figure out if it's related to a specific device type, which one do you have? P900, 905, 907A or another?

P900 wifi. Us version bought at best buy.

Today the tablet has been rock solid, I have literally done nothing between when it was flickering like mad and now.

I wonder if it might be related to some kid of data transfer. either over wifi, or when data is written or read from storage or SD card. I've take then SD card out to eliminate that as the problem.
11th November 2014, 08:01 AM   |  #7  
Flag San Rafael, CA

135 posts
More
Mine was P900 from BB
19th November 2014, 08:02 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Issue lies with the screen.
This happened with me I sent it back to Samsung, 3 times. They seem to have finally got it right. They replaced the battery and then the display screen. Now it appears to be working I will let you know after a month if it is still good. They also told me that they will not replace the device even though I bought it and the issue was right from the start. Not even 6 months old. When working the device is excellent.
19th November 2014, 10:50 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 1

41 posts
Ah, so now we know for sure the battery is replaceable. That's good news. Maybe someday our batteries will no longer hold a charge and we can replace it. Now for a good video on tear down and what tools to use to do that and where to get a replacement battery. I know it's early for most of us but someday......we will have to replace that battery. I'm one of those that keep my toys (computers/laptops/tablets/phones,) for many years.
Yesterday, 04:31 PM   |  #10  
Flag San Rafael, CA

135 posts
More
Mine is running like new since last service. Getting the BB Geek Squad warranty has paid for itself already. I get 2 years on anything over $500.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread