Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,562 Members 53,659 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q]

Tip us?

wargear
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Default [Q]

I've been using a note 10.1 with cm11 but want to upgrade to the 12.2 as the price drops. Touchwiz has so much overhead and lard built in I'd rather run an aosp ROM curiously even though it's been on the market now for almost a year why isn't there more custom ROMs avail?
AT&T i317 Note2 TWRP 2.7.2.0 and exploring AOSP based Roms
Samsung Note 10.1TWRP 2.7.0.0 CM11

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT!
Did you remember to say THANKS?

nrage23
Old
Thanks Meter 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by wargear View Post
I've been using a note 10.1 with cm11 but want to upgrade to the 12.2 as the price drops. Touchwiz has so much overhead and lard built in I'd rather run an aosp ROM curiously even though it's been on the market now for almost a year why isn't there more custom ROMs avail?
It came out in February so more like 5 months. The reason you do not see more roms or development is mostly the high cost of the device. Other than that why would you pay the high price for a device like this just to run CM and lose all of its best features.
Phone:

LG G3 (Verizon)
HTC One Max (Verizon)

Tablet:

Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2

Nvidia Shield Tablet

Retired Phones: HTC One M8, HTC One M7, Lg G2, Droid DNA, HTC Rezound, Droid Bionic, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Evo 4g
Retired Tablets: Archos 5, Huwaei S7, Viewsonic G Tab, Acer A500, Asus Eee Pad Transformer, Galaxy 7 Plus, Nexus 10, Nexus 7 2013., Note 8.0, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Note 10.1 2014, Shield Portable

muzzy996
Old
Thanks Meter 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrage23 View Post
It came out in February so more like 5 months. The reason you do not see more roms or development is mostly the high cost of the device. Other than that why would you pay the high price for a device like this just to run CM and lose all of its best features.
This basically nails it I think. While a Galaxy Note phone or smaller, cheaper note tablet is within a reasonable price range moving up beyond $500 is a bit of a stretch. Sure refurbished and used Wi-Fi versions of the pro can be had for less but that doesn't mean developers will come in droves.

In terms of difficulty of developing I doubt it differs from the 10.1 inch 2014 version.

I personally wouldn't want to run CM on this thing if it meant losing some of the s-pen integration like popup menus and pen window. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot I hate about touchwiz but there's some functionality for the notes that are critical IMO.

wargear
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy996 View Post
This basically nails it I think. While a Galaxy Note phone or smaller, cheaper note tablet is within a reasonable price range moving up beyond $500 is a bit of a stretch. Sure refurbished and used Wi-Fi versions of the pro can be had for less but that doesn't mean developers will come in droves.

In terms of difficulty of developing I doubt it differs from the 10.1 inch 2014 version.

I personally wouldn't want to run CM on this thing if it meant losing some of the s-pen integration like popup menus and pen window. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot I hate about touchwiz but there's some functionality for the notes that are critical IMO.
Legitimate points all round.. However, many of us could care less about s-pen functionality and want a larger crisper display for streaming and things not related to notes etc..
AT&T i317 Note2 TWRP 2.7.2.0 and exploring AOSP based Roms
Samsung Note 10.1TWRP 2.7.0.0 CM11

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT!
Did you remember to say THANKS?