FORUMS

Google Photos ‘Unlimited’ Storage Reportedly Being Capped

When Google Photos was announced, many of us thought very highly … more

Sprint Moves to Lift Video Streaming Limit for All-In

Yesterday, Sprint announced a new unlimited scheme that offered customers an … more

Xiaomi Releases Kernel Source Code For Mi4i

If you’ve been following the XDA News Portal lately, you might have noticed an … more

How to Listen to Beats 1 on Android Right Now

If you felt a bit left out by Apple launching their own online radio station Beats 1 … more

[Q] Reliable root method for a P900 build BNK1?

7 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By stedmakr, Junior Member on 28th December 2014, 01:49 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I'm ready to root but virtually every email I see identifies problems rooting with the latest OTA updates. Even the experts appear to have a problem. Is there a reliable method that does not involve extensive after the fact troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Keith

1st January 2015, 07:12 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 101

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedmakr

I'm ready to root but virtually every email I see identifies problems rooting with the latest OTA updates. Even the experts appear to have a problem. Is there a reliable method that does not involve extensive after the fact troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Keith

You could use my rom or one of the others without any issue or work really.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...stock-t2860069
2nd January 2015, 02:35 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsrom

You could use my rom or one of the others without any issue or work really.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...stock-t2860069

Gatsrom thanks for responding. I gave it a shot and don't know where I am at. I am not rooted. I downloaded and installed Odin and following all the precautions I could find I downloaded TWRP and went through the installation process. Odin showed RESET then PASS. I did this twice and it passed both times. I also tripped knox (which I expected to do). When I boot into recovery there is no sign of TWRP. I go to the standard system recovery.

Did I need to be rooted before TWRP will work? If not, could you point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Keith
2nd January 2015, 09:28 AM |#4  

More
Plug
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedmakr

Gatsrom thanks for responding. I gave it a shot and don't know where I am at. I am not rooted. I downloaded and installed Odin and following all the precautions I could find I downloaded TWRP and went through the installation process. Odin showed RESET then PASS. I did this twice and it passed both times. I also tripped knox (which I expected to do). When I boot into recovery there is no sign of TWRP. I go to the standard system recovery.

Did I need to be rooted before TWRP will work? If not, could you point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Keith

Hmm let's see what we can do. If you are booting into stock recovery it's not flashing the recovery. You grabbed the recovery for the v1awifi right? https://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/v1a...1awifi.img.tar

You put the tar file in the pda slot? It says successful (1/1) in the info/log window at the bottom?
Last edited by Gatsrom; 2nd January 2015 at 09:31 AM.
2nd January 2015, 11:29 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsrom

Hmm let's see what we can do. If you are booting into stock recovery it's not flashing the recovery. You grabbed the recovery for the v1awifi right?

You put the tar file in the pda slot? It says successful (1/1) in the info/log window at the bottom?

Gatstrom, I believe yes to all of the above. I attached a file that shows the Odin screen (didn't take - screen readout below). The successful line says (succeed 1 /0 failed) The recovery file is correct. Odin 3.09 does not say Note pro. I have also tried Odin 3.09 from a different source with the same result. The other thing I can think of is after flashing and I take the usb cord from the phone my steps are to turn off the phone and turn it on to recovery with the three finger steps. Is their anything else I need to do at this point. Should I be in TWRP now? I find myself in stock recovery system and it gives me I think 5 options. I am just rebooting. Should I be using one of the other options.

I unzipped Odin with 7z. I am using an original samsung USB cable connected directly to the computer and I turned off antivirus before flashing. There is no indication that Kies is operating any services in the background. I also downloaded he latest drivers

Pass
02:02

Auto reboot and f.reset time checked

From message block
added
recovery.img
Nand Write Start!
RQT_CLOSE !!
RES OK!!
Removed!!
Remain Port.... 0
All threads completed. (Succeed 1 / failed 0)

Binary size 8.2mb

Thanks,

Keith

I got it to work. On the TWRP thread at original development forum on page 48 or 49 there was someone with the exact same problem. Bigbiff told the user to uncheck auto reboot in odin and then to boot directly into recovery. I did and it worked. I was unaware that you could root directly from TWRP and a quick stop at the play store. I then loaded your debloated rom and I'll see how it goes once everything updates.

I am so F$%^King excited. I have spent scores of hours attempting to get this to work.

Thanks for all of your help (it helped)

Keith
Last edited by stedmakr; 2nd January 2015 at 10:49 PM. Reason: clarification
3rd January 2015, 11:19 AM |#6  

More
Ya that was my next suggestion to not reboot and go into twrp directly. Let me know how the rom works. If you have any questions/bugs throw them in the rom thread. I'll see it quicker and it keeps problems and solutions centralized.

I would say give the xposed framework a shot. I put a list of the ones I use. They are incredibly useful.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread