Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,949 Members 43,924 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Tried to root Korean SM-P900; now stuck in reboot loop

Tip us?

sm-p900user
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Tried to root Korean SM-P900; now stuck in reboot loop

Hi,

I have a Korean SM-P900 that I tried to root with CF AutoRoot using Heimdall. I identified the recovery and cache partitions using print-pit, then flashed the recovery.img and cache.img to their respective partitions. After that it started booting, and was stuck at the Samsung screen for several minutes.

I then rebooted it by holding down the power button. When it was booting back up, it showed a message in Korean and with a counter that counted up to 79, then showed a similar message counting up to another number. It kept doing that no matter what, never booting up, even if I rebooted it again.

After that I tried flashing it again the same way. Now it shows the same message as earlier, but actually boots into the Samsung initial setup screen. However, I can't get past it, because a message showing "MyScript ResourceManager", followed by some Korean text, blocks me from doing anything, and if I hit okay it just reappears.

Any ideas on how to unbrick it?

dodo99x
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Try going into recovery and do a Full reset. If that doesn't work, download the Korean firmware (or whichever version you want, as long as it is SM-P900) and flash back to stock using Odin. Messing with partitions using Heimdall can be tricky and dangerous if you don't have a PIT file for your device. Hope this works for you.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to dodo99x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sm-p900user
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo99x View Post
Try going into recovery and do a Full reset. If that doesn't work, download the Korean firmware (or whichever version you want, as long as it is SM-P900) and flash back to stock using Odin. Messing with partitions using Heimdall can be tricky and dangerous if you don't have a PIT file for your device. Hope this works for you.
Going into recovery and doing a reset fixed the problem. Thank you very much!

The reason I didn't flash back to stock earlier was because I couldn't find the Korean stock firmware anywhere, and I was unsure if I could flash another country's firmware to it without breaking something. Nice to know that I can.

Now that it's functional again, will it be okay to try to root it again, this time using Odin?

dodo99x
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm-p900user View Post
Going into recovery and doing a reset fixed the problem. Thank you very much!

The reason I didn't flash back to stock earlier was because I couldn't find the Korean stock firmware anywhere, and I was unsure if I could flash another country's firmware to it without breaking something. Nice to know that I can.

Now that it's functional again, will it be okay to try to root it again, this time using Odin?
Yes, flashing another region is ok, but you may have issues with keyboard languages and wifi channels being different. Yeah just use Odin for CF-Autoroot. You can download a recovery image to flash if it gets stuck on cache.img. It's in the cf-autoroot thread for the 12.2. Best to read the entire thread before you start. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to dodo99x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sm-p900user
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo99x View Post
Yes, flashing another region is ok, but you may have issues with keyboard languages and wifi channels being different. Yeah just use Odin for CF-Autoroot. You can download a recovery image to flash if it gets stuck on cache.img. It's in the cf-autoroot thread for the 12.2. Best to read the entire thread before you start. Good luck.

I have now rooted my tablet, and it's working great. Thank you very much for your help!

torreon901
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm-p900user View Post
I have now rooted my tablet, and it's working great. Thank you very much for your help!
so towelroot doesnt work for this device?

dodo99x
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by torreon901 View Post
so towelroot doesnt work for this device?
Towelroot is only for Qualcomm based devices. SM-P900 uses an Exynos SOC.