[Q] Galaxy Note becomes unresponsive, heats up, and drains battery when idle

Search This thread

arn.yong

Jan 5, 2012
Hey Everyone! Want to share with all about this problem i have been facing.

This GT-N7000 of mine has a very strange problem that has been bugging me since the beginning.

Be it using stock ROM (the days of being in totally stock ICS and jellybean ROM) or now, when i use CM11 4.4.4 (Created by the nice people here on XDA and cyanogen), if i leave the phone idle (e.g screen locked and turn off, when i don't use it and place it in my jeans pocket or lying on the table), once every few days (basically whenever the phone feels like it), when not connected to the charger, it will:

1) randomly decide to become unresponsive (means you can't wake the phone up when pressing any physical buttons or touching the screen)
2) Phone becomes hot while in this unresponsive state (I assume the processor is fully utilized, but doing something totally irrelevant and silly)
3) Need to do a battery pull before you can turn on the phone again
4) Notice upon boot that x% of battery was used up. The battery stats would indicate a break, and sudden drop from 72% of battery to 48% battery.. In other words, it seems the phone does not know what it was doing when it was unresponsive. The faster you catch the phone in this state, the more battery you'll have left. if this happens and you didn't catch the phone in this state, the phone would happily guzzle all the life out of your battery, to 0%.

Now that i am rooted and running CM11, i Digged a little deeper, and it seems that after each unresponsive state reboot, setCPU will indicate that there was alot of CPU usage at 1.4Ghz. At first i didn't bother about it, until i remembered my CPU settings was only supposed to run at 500mhz Maximum when my screen is off, or at 1Ghz when battery is below 80% and screen is on. My CM11 kernal is standard kernel and has NO overclock/underclock.

This means the phone somehow managed to overide setCPU while being in unresponsive state and remain clocked at 1.4 ghz even though the screen is off, thus draining the battery extremely quickly and becoming hot :confused:

I have tried multiple factory resets with Stock rom, then Re-flash stock rom with ODIN, to changing to CM11 ROM, and i still have this issue. I do not have a sim card Or SD Card plugged into this phone. (Even with sim card/sd card connected, it still has this issue)

Any other users that encounter this? And has anyone found a way to solve this? Thanks for your inputs!

Last edited: