Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,892 Members 42,707 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] About cleaning before flashing CM ROM.

Tip us?

Vulturon
Old
(Last edited by Vulturon; 5th July 2014 at 04:53 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] About cleaning before flashing CM ROM.

Hello everyone. I am using Hong Kong GT-N7000, N7000ZSLR1 stock firmware with Android version 4.1.2. Also I use "PhilZ-cwm6-XXLTA-ATL-5.15.0-signed" as recovery but will reset flash counter after using this custom recovery each time (remove yellow triangle).

So let's get to the topic. I am going to install a new ROM, it's called "Beanstalk" or something, Android version 4.4.4, based on CM11. The link of the ROM is here: http://www.romzj.com/resources/samsu...id=90&id=14867. But since it's in Chinese so it's just for reference for you guys.

The problem is, I want to do a clean installation. I know that I need to use the recovery to wipe many things, I always do "5 wipes", like factory reset, wipe partition cache, dalvik cache etc. I don't remember so much but that's how I install new ROM. And that's the reason why I don't use stock recovery, I used that Philz becuase it can wipe 5 things for me, and official CWM recovery can't be installed in my phone (I mean the ROM manager app in Google Play Store that can install official CWM recovery), I don't know why, when I open recovery mode after installing official CWM it's still the stock one, maybe I messed with my phone too much before.

Anyway that's not the main concern, now that I think the "5 wipes" still can't completely remove the previous ROM's stuff. For example under the "device root/data/data" directory, some stock firmware's applications' folder still exist (I'm just predicting they will exist from my experience, I'm still in old stock firmware):

http://postimg.org/image/m1jlblhc7/

And some files of old stock firmware's app data is still here in sdcard0, I mean the internal storage of my phone, not external one. Names are like "com.kimi.ggplay.sklrtw" or something. Maybe "update.zip" can be deleted too.

Of course I will use that Philz recovery to backup my whole ROM before flashing new ROM. But I want to know how to completely delete unnecessary items in new ROM? That is, old files of the N7000ZSLR1. Thank you in advance!

Vulturon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Really? No one can help me out?

XxPixX
Old
Thanks Meter 478
If you want to completely clean it then you can repartition the device with a pit file. Alternatively you can use "SD maid" to remove left overs like that.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000
ROM: Homemade OmniROM KitKat 4.4 with a few cherry-picks
Version: January 12th 2014
Kernel: Stock Kernel

ThaiDai
Old
Thanks Meter 2,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxPixX View Post
If you want to completely clean it then you can repartition the device with a pit file.
Sorry for choosing this words: but it is simply stupid to "clean" a device by repartitioning it.
It is dangerous and there is completely no indication for using Pit files in this case.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThaiDai For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

XxPixX
Old
Thanks Meter 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiDai View Post
Sorry for choosing this words: but it is simply stupid to "clean" a device by repartitioning it.
It is dangerous and there is completely no indication for using Pit files in this case.
Yup, I agree. But other steps will be a bit harder and less effective. This way you are sure to get it completely cleaned out. Normally, just a /data, /system, /preload will do and if you want to go a lot further then you can also format the internal memory.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000
ROM: Homemade OmniROM KitKat 4.4 with a few cherry-picks
Version: January 12th 2014
Kernel: Stock Kernel
The Following User Says Thank You to XxPixX For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jackwu696
Old
(Last edited by Jackwu696; 5th July 2014 at 08:36 PM.)
Thanks Meter 499
Quote:
Yup, I agree. But other steps will be a bit harder and less effective. This way you are sure to get it completely cleaned out. Normally, just a /data, /system, /preload will do and if you want to go a lot further then you can also format the internal memory.
Hai, I agree with @ThaiDai that repartitioning is by far too reckless n risky to clean up the device but I agree with you that formatting internal sd card is enough to do the trick as after formatting it will be cleared of everything. The OP of this topic must mean his leftover uninstalled apps folder as many android apps left their folder "just in case" you want to reinstall the app again. These folders usually contain their setting configuration n in some games the saved game files. Quite harmless but it can be annoying when we open our sd card n there r 'alien' folders
@Vulturon

Read the last 3 posts and you will find your answer.cheers
I wanna help because I know how hard it is to be lost.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackwu696 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Vulturon
Old
(Last edited by Vulturon; 6th July 2014 at 04:04 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
1. Formatting the internal memory sounds good, any tutorial on how to use .pit files? And why is it dangerous again?

2. Will it wipe my SMSs and contacts that are saved in my SIM card? Also will it wipes external SD card too?

3. Which custom recovery you think is the best here? For installing ROM.

Thanks in advance!

Vulturon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
BTW this is my storage status, you can see my internal memory only consists of 1.975 GB...

Jackwu696
Old
Thanks Meter 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulturon View Post
1. Formatting the internal memory sounds good, any tutorial on how to use .pit files? And why is it dangerous again?

2. Will it wipe my SMSs and contacts that are saved in my SIM card? Also will it wipes external SD card too?

3. Which custom recovery you think is the best here? For installing ROM.

Thanks in advance!
1. In short, wrong move in repartitioning will make your note a nice decoration. Search the thread on the why's.

2. Yes, formatting sd card WILL delete EVERYTHING so at least back up your media files before doing it.

3. This question violates XDA rules. Best Roms are roms that YOU think it's best for you n not what other's think.

4. You can learn how yo repartition your device to increase internal storage (mine's at 6 GB). Head to @metalgearhathaway 's thread to learn how to do it. Read, n READ to understand before you try please.

Sent from my GT-N7000
I wanna help because I know how hard it is to be lost.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackwu696 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Vulturon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackwu696 View Post
1. In short, wrong move in repartitioning will make your note a nice decoration. Search the thread on the why's.

2. Yes, formatting sd card WILL delete EVERYTHING so at least back up your media files before doing it.

3. This question violates XDA rules. Best Roms are roms that YOU think it's best for you n not what other's think.

4. You can learn how yo repartition your device to increase internal storage (mine's at 6 GB). Head to @metalgearhathaway 's thread to learn how to do it. Read, n READ to understand before you try please.

Sent from my GT-N7000
1. Which .pit file should I choose? "i9100 Preload Area Moddified Pit Files"? "i9100 Pit Files 3GB - 8GB Collection by metalgearhathaway.zip"? "i9100 Pit Files 1GB & 9-12GB Collection by metalgearhathaway.zip"?

2. What is this .pit files actually wipe? This is not only wiping internal sd card, but also external sd card, and the contacts that's saved in my SIM card (the card that represents my phone number and network provider, not for storing files)? Is that it?

3. Which recovery you are using then for N7000?

4. "i9100 Pit Files 3GB - 8GB Collection by metalgearhathaway.zip" and "i9100 Pit Files 1GB & 9-12GB Collection by metalgearhathaway.zip" can be flashed together with custom ROMs? Beanstalk in this case.