[Tutorial] How To Root Galaxy S 4G & Deleting Fota Files

Search This thread

champ1919

Nov 5, 2010
Twin Cities, Minnesota
Titanium backup has a couple features that can free up some more room. Integrate updates into Rom (I think it basically deletes the old stuff). And integrate dalvik into Rom. Download from play store too:)

Badking

Oct 14, 2012
Hey moshe, or anyone I tried the steps that moshe did and before i did this my MB was 361 and after i followed the steps and did everything and rebooted my phone it was still at 361 and nothing changed. anyone help?

champ1919

Nov 5, 2010
Twin Cities, Minnesota
Hey moshe, or anyone I tried the steps that moshe did and before i did this my MB was 361 and after i followed the steps and did everything and rebooted my phone it was still at 361 and nothing changed. anyone help?

Make sure you have root and just use/download "fota fix" from the play store. That should get you a some more free space (sorry, can't remember total savings, I think 35-40 mb)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using xda app-developers app

sveris

Mar 9, 2014
Great guide. I'm a noob but managed to follow the basic instructions, and eventually ended up with 323 Mb free. However, I did notice one thing.

I could not select the R/W function in Supermanager - unless I first navigated to the Fota folder and selecting the 2 files created by using File Expert to unzip the fota.zip file. In other words, the order of Steps 6 and 7 in the guide made a difference for me.

Did others have the same experience as I did? If so, would it be better to interchange Steps 6 and 7 to help future users?

In any event, thanks again for freeing up a lot of extra memory for me!

This is a 3 year old guide for the stock pre-ICS ROM on a phone where most users who are still on it and reading the forums SHOULD really have moved on to ICS or KK. Unless you REALLY love the GB experience.

While the OP still reads the XDA forums... based on the profile, this is 2-3 phones back in the previous set and unlikely to get an update. And reasonably so... If you want your phone to work well, don't necropost.
Let me highlight the recent thread activity:
Today - suggestion to switch steps 6 and 7.
2 weeks before that - someone who started with more space free than you had it not free up any more space.
9.5 months before that (May 2013) - someone revived the thread by quoting a 2 year old post.
6 months before that (December 2012) - someone pointed out that the directions no longer work properly and you need to start messing with the specific apps suggested.

At some point you need to let a set of directions just go. Especially when the development has moved so far on beyond where it had been when the thread was initially created.

*sad face*

sveris

Mar 9, 2014
This is a 3 year old guide for the stock pre-ICS ROM on a phone where most users who are still on it and reading the forums SHOULD really have moved on to ICS or KK. Unless you REALLY love the GB experience.

While the OP still reads the XDA forums... based on the profile, this is 2-3 phones back in the previous set and unlikely to get an update. And reasonably so... If you want your phone to work well, don't necropost.
Let me highlight the recent thread activity:
Today - suggestion to switch steps 6 and 7.
2 weeks before that - someone who started with more space free than you had it not free up any more space.
9.5 months before that (May 2013) - someone revived the thread by quoting a 2 year old post.
6 months before that (December 2012) - someone pointed out that the directions no longer work properly and you need to start messing with the specific apps suggested.

At some point you need to let a set of directions just go. Especially when the development has moved so far on beyond where it had been when the thread was initially created.

*sad face*
Very good points, and a fresh perspective for me. No offense taken and I'm sure none intended.

But remember: noobies have to start somewhere. I elected to start with an older, inexpensive phone and to begin at the beginning to upgrade my OS. Keep in mind I've seen friends with new phones who jumped in with both feet and ended up with expensive paperweights.

I may have incorrectly assumed that noobs like me could ask questions about old old phones and which referenced dormant guides/threads. And I thought that only interested parties would reply while others would not bother.

As far as my phone working well, I'd say that's both an objective and subjective observation. my T959V worked well enough on FROYO, and now seems to be working just as well running GB. I do have more free memory available, but I wasn't constantly plagued by "out of memory" errors in the past. Will it run better, faster, etc. on ICS or KK - with substantially more capability to do more things? Probably. But, IIRC, there have been recent threads about problems with the latest KK; and maybe I don't feel comfortable taken these on at this juncture.

If I used too much bandwidth or offended anyone, my sincere apologies.

Very good points, and a fresh perspective for me. No offense taken and I'm sure none intended.
True. :) No offense meant.

But remember: noobies have to start somewhere. I elected to start with an older, inexpensive phone and to begin at the beginning to upgrade my OS. Keep in mind I've seen friends with new phones who jumped in with both feet and ended up with expensive paperweights.
And the SGS4G is an awesome phone to start tinkering with. It's almost impossible to actually hard-brick unless you actively try by pulling the cord partway through a flash or putting on a kernel from a different phone - the SGH-T959 is not the same as the SGH-T959V - but other then that, it's almost bulletproof.

I may have incorrectly assumed that noobs like me could ask questions about old old phones and which referenced dormant guides/threads. And I thought that only interested parties would reply while others would not bother.
Questions and referencing stuff, sure. Offering advise to other people who are interested in staying stock and doing what you're doing, sure. Requesting that the OP... who has since moved on to a new phone... twice... change the directions? Slightly more complicated.

As far as my phone working well, I'd say that's both an objective and subjective observation. my T959V worked well enough on FROYO, and now seems to be working just as well running GB. I do have more free memory available, but I wasn't constantly plagued by "out of memory" errors in the past. Will it run better, faster, etc. on ICS or KK - with substantially more capability to do more things? Probably. But, IIRC, there have been recent threads about problems with the latest KK; and maybe I don't feel comfortable taken these on at this juncture.
And that's a valid point. If you aren't comfortable tinkering with the phone, then stick with what works for you. But at a certain point, you have to accept that the work that was done 3 years ago and hosted on external sites may not still be available, and that's okay... it means you either try something different, or work towards acceptance... but asking for the Froyo ROM probably isn't the best choice. :) You didn't.

But generally within a few weeks of someone reviving a dead thread, people start thinking that it's current and failing to read the thread. I'm expecting someone to ask for one of the OP files that stopped working years ago and isn't hosted anymore after failing to read the ~250 posts where people refined the steps.

When the OP files stop being hosted, it's usually a sign that this isn't the best thread to follow. :) Or try to update. ;)

If I used too much bandwidth or offended anyone, my sincere apologies.
No offense on my side, and hey - that's why I pay T-Mo for unlimited data. I don't use it as well as some of the legendary threads in General, but I do my part.

jeffsf

Mar 7, 2011
San Francisco
Will it run better, faster, etc. on ICS or KK - with substantially more capability to do more things?

I would go out on a limb and say that if you want a "daily driver" then GB or ICS is the way to go. ICS is, in my opinion, significantly more usable than GB and can be very stable (depending on the choice of ROM, which is a personal thing). Some really enjoy GB's simplicity and that it is "snappier" than ICS for the level of hardware we have.

JB, in my opinion, wasn't very stable and didn't offer much over ICS, with the exception of multi-recipient Apple-style MMS.

KK is just becoming stable, seems to be a little less resource hungry than ICS, but has its own set of problems related to the sheer size of the OS compared to the internal memory of the SGS4G.

If you have further questions, you probably should open a thread in the General or Q&A section.

Reactions: daothanhduy1996

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rooting Galaxy S 4G & Deleting Fota Files

Hi guys - I wanted to shared with all of you the methods that I used to Root my phone and getting rid of the FOTA files and "Bloatware" which free up ALOT of space.

****I want to thanks "Theshadowman" for the Fota files and to the developer of SuperOneClick, the awesome tool that makes rooting possible.****

Before this fix I was getting the "Internal low space" message.

Let's get started

Programs and Files you will need:

-Samsung Galaxy S 4G Drivers 32-bit: http://rapidshare.com/files/456420295/SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_x86.rar
    -Samsung Galaxy S 4G Drivers 64-bit: http://rapidshare.com/files/456420354/usb_drivers_GalaxyS_x64.zip
    -SuperOneClick 1.7 (To root your phone)
    -File Expert (to Unzip files)
    -Super Manager (Access to /data/fota)
    -Fota.zip (Files that will free up all that space)

Additional Files
    -Bloatware (Thanks to Chadster)
    http://db.tt/RFzd364

***Note:*** You will find all the files you need attached at the end of this post with the exception of Root Checker and Titanium Backup. You can download those by simply doing a search in the Market.

How to Root your Galaxy S 4G

1- Download Samsung Galaxy S 4G driver and install it. Make sure you know what version of Windows you've got. (I posted links for 32bit and 64bit)
    2- In your Phone, Go to Settings>Applications>Development>USB Debugging.
    Note: You will have to check USB debugging or else it will not work.

3- Download SuperOneClick 1.7
    4- Open SuperOneClick 1.7
    5- Under exploit MAKE SURE you select "rageagainstthecage" and then click Root. Let it do what it needs to do Note: the whole process will take between 5-15 minutes
    6- Download Root Checker from Market
    7- Run the test and it will confirm you that your phone is Rooted

How to Delete Fota files

Step 1: Download all three files in your computer and send them to your email and open them from your phone.
    Alternative method: Download them directly to your phone.

Step 2: Install File Expert

Step 3: Install Super Manager

Step 4: Open File Expert and navigate to the directory aka folder that you downloaded the files to.

Step 5: Press and Hold the fota.zip file and select Unzip files
    Note: File Expert will unzip files by default in same folder.
    It will create a Fota folder with two files fota_delta_dp1 and fota_delta_dp2

Step 6: Open Super Manager and then open setup and check the "Enable ROOT function" then press menu on your phone and switch to r/w (stands for read and write)

Step 7: Navigate to the folder where you have the 2 Unzipped fota files (fota_delta_dp1 and fota_delta_dp2)

Step 8: Select both and cut them

Step 9: Navigate to /data/fota and paste the 2 files in this folder

Step 10:Reboot phone and WAWAWIWA! between 150mb-300mb of free space

If you want to get rid of Bloatware - Download Titanium Backup from Market open it and uninstall every app that you don't need.

Warning: Becareful with what you uninstall.

Hope this helps and let me know if have any questions.
    I'm glad this helped. No lagfix yet for this phone, but once you get rid of all the bloatware you should experience less lag. I'm pretty sure it will come out but I am giving it time.

Here is a list of apps i have removed and haven't experienced any issues after deleting this apps:

Folder organizer
    Kindle
    Amazon mp3
    Double twist
    airsync
    facebook
    news & weather
    talk
    layar
    T-mobile tv
    video chat (qik)
    Desk home
    media hub
    add to home
    gogo
    inception
    buddies now
    feeds and updates
    y! finance clock
    slacker
    telenav
    drivesmart
    drivesmart system

I have 328.23mb available on my Internal memory.
    No problem man, Glad to help.
    hey. i got the drivers working fine from the noobs guide to odin. step 2 has the drivers.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1001759
    I made a one click fota fix app to make it much easier to fota fix. See link in my signature or search fota fix on the android market.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA Premium App