ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Buying advice: Samsung GS4 or S5?

OP frankp124

8th September 2014, 09:09 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag College Park
Thanks Meter: 0

48 posts
Donate to Me
More
I am about to get a new phone (now because I cracked the screen on my LG E980...) namely to have a better experience in customizing, etc.

I am aware that the S5 has somewhat better performance than the S4, but I am more interested in the options for ROM development and customize-ability. First off, what is the appropriate model name for the S4? (I'm on AT&T) Wondering this for compatibility purposes.. Also are there any software updates I should avoid? Will I need to go back to any old firmware/software version(s) to have better luck rotting or installing ROMs/recoveries?

Any insight appreciated, thanks!
8th September 2014, 09:47 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,704

3,344 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankp124

I am about to get a new phone (now because I cracked the screen on my LG E980...) namely to have a better experience in customizing, etc.

I am aware that the S5 has somewhat better performance than the S4, but I am more interested in the options for ROM development and customize-ability. First off, what is the appropriate model name for the S4? (I'm on AT&T) Wondering this for compatibility purposes.. Also are there any software updates I should avoid? Will I need to go back to any old firmware/software version(s) to have better luck rotting or installing ROMs/recoveries?

This forum is for the 2011 SGH-T959V, you're looking for these forums:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s4-att
or
http://forum.xda-developers.com/att-galaxy-s5
10th September 2014, 02:36 AM   |  #3  
Flag Rose Valley
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
More
I have both and...
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankp124

I had an s3 t999 and broke the screen. Loved it! Stable ROMs galore!
I went out and went to the S5 g900T! I love AOSP ROMs and there are no stable AOSP roms. I have trouble getting text messages. Even after i updated bootloader modem. I've tried every rom. Mabye in a few months I will like it

BUT

After having it for about 4 months I just went out 3 days ago and purchased an S4 M919 aand so far I love it. Works greeat and there are a ton of ROMs.

I like checking every ROM out so I might not be the best person to ask because I didnt spend a lot of time on the stock ROMs.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread