[Q] IMEI change after unlock and changing stock ROM

OP M05K1T0

9th July 2014, 05:02 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Hello XDA community, I have some questions, sorry for my english:

1-Some time ago my brother bought an unlocked Galaxy S Advance I9070 and today he gave it to me, It has the stock ROM of the carrier 'Claro' (And all the bloatware ), my SIM is from another carrier (Personal) and I can use it without problems (Both carriers are from Argentina), but I've noticed something:

The phone came as new, with the box and all the accesories inside, I checked the IMEI and I found out this:
The sticker on the box and inside the phone (behind the battery) shows XXXXXX05XXXXXX3, and when i type *#06# in the phone, it shows XXXXXX99XXXXXX6 (The IMEIs are the same, except for those three numbers)

I think that when they unlocked the phone, that part of the IMEI changed (As far as I know the IMEI shouldn't/mustn't change).Am I right? Would I have any problems with that?

2-The stock ROM of the aftermentioned phone has Gingerbread 2.3.6 and I'd like to install KitKat or Jellybean. Will the phone lock again? (I'm almost sure that it was soft-unlocked or something like that) Do I have to backup the efs partition to keep the IMEI and the phone unlocked?

When my brother bought it, the phone had the Superuser app installed, he did a factory reset (I don't know why.. ) and (as expected) the app dissappeared. I reinstalled it again today but it looks like the phone lost the root (When trying root apps like root explorer i get the pop up asking for root authorization, when I hit "allow" nothing happens... Also, if I type "su" in terminal it doesn't show the #, it keeps there waiting for more commands)

If you need more information I'll gladly provide it

Thanks in advance
9th July 2014, 09:27 AM   |  #2  
Flag Belgrade
Thanks Meter: 3,433

7,563 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M05K1T0

Hello XDA community, I have some questions, sorry for my english:

1-Some time ago my brother bought an unlocked Galaxy S Advance I9070 and today he gave it to me, It has the stock ROM of the carrier 'Claro' (And all the bloatware ), my SIM is from another carrier (Personal) and I can use it without problems (Both carriers are from Argentina), but I've noticed something:

The phone came as new, with the box and all the accesories inside, I checked the IMEI and I found out this:
The sticker on the box and inside the phone (behind the battery) shows XXXXXX05XXXXXX3, and when i type *#06# in the phone, it shows XXXXXX99XXXXXX6 (The IMEIs are the same, except for those three numbers)

I think that when they unlocked the phone, that part of the IMEI changed (As far as I know the IMEI shouldn't/mustn't change).Am I right? Would I have any problems with that?

2-The stock ROM of the aftermentioned phone has Gingerbread 2.3.6 and I'd like to install KitKat or Jellybean. Will the phone lock again? (I'm almost sure that it was soft-unlocked or something like that) Do I have to backup the efs partition to keep the IMEI and the phone unlocked?

When my brother bought it, the phone had the Superuser app installed, he did a factory reset (I don't know why.. ) and (as expected) the app dissappeared. I reinstalled it again today but it looks like the phone lost the root (When trying root apps like root explorer i get the pop up asking for root authorization, when I hit "allow" nothing happens... Also, if I type "su" in terminal it doesn't show the #, it keeps there waiting for more commands)

If you need more information I'll gladly provide it

Thanks in advance

If he unlocked phone in some service, they probably did something about that IMEI change, but I am not sure. Never saw any guide for unlocking from provider. And probably it will remain unlocked after you go to JB, but again I am not sure.

Everything you need to know about going GB > JB > Custom ROM is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2198341

Rest (KitKat install) you will find on development thread of ROM you want to install.
The Following User Says Thank You to shut_down For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th July 2014, 11:33 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by shut_down

If he unlocked phone in some service, they probably did something about that IMEI change, but I am not sure. Never saw any guide for unlocking from provider. And probably it will remain unlocked after you go to JB, but again I am not sure.

Everything you need to know about going GB > JB > Custom ROM is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2198341

Rest (KitKat install) you will find on development thread of ROM you want to install.

Got it working!

The phone is still unlocked, I made a backup of the "efs" folder and TWRP backup too, just in case

If anyone's wondering, I used this http://d-h.st/lpi on step A2 of the tutorial you mentioned.

Now, if I put a custom ROM and something goes wrong, with the efs and the TWRP backup, am I fully safe?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by M05K1T0; 9th July 2014 at 11:46 PM.
10th July 2014, 08:50 AM   |  #4  
Flag Belgrade
Thanks Meter: 3,433

7,563 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M05K1T0

Got it working!

The phone is still unlocked, I made a backup of the "efs" folder and TWRP backup too, just in case

If anyone's wondering, I used this http://d-h.st/lpi on step A2 of the tutorial you mentioned.

Now, if I put a custom ROM and something goes wrong, with the efs and the TWRP backup, am I fully safe?

Thanks in advance

You need TWRP recovery to restore backup from it, you can't restore it from CWM recovery. And I think EFS part is not being touched when you are changing ROMs, this is guide just in case something goes wrong sometimes: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2677807
11th July 2014, 06:08 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by shut_down

You need TWRP recovery to restore backup from it, you can't restore it from CWM recovery. And I think EFS part is not being touched when you are changing ROMs, this is guide just in case something goes wrong sometimes: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2677807

Now it's running Carbon rom (KitKat 4.4.4), works like a charm
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread