Ask a question

No registration required

Installing custom rom, on galaxy s gt-i9000, with a busted power button

OP ares9281

9th July 2014, 09:33 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Hi there i am relatively new to android modding and rooting etc. I recently tried to install Cyanogenmod to my phone and I succeeded, but the next day my phone began to restart itself, turns out that the power button is broken. We tried to repair it but ended up burning down the processors internal i/o (latch or whatever structure it has) with a faulty multimeter . Now i have to turn on my phone with a dock cable (with 1kohm res) which wakes up the phone, i can access the Download mode by plugging in the dock, and pressing home+down, but the recovery needs the power button signal too.

I can access the recovery by using adb commands, but i need to boot in. If i install a new recovery like CWM, i am stuck in a bootloop and i don't know if i can use the adb commands. Is there any other way to get into recovery mode, besides home+power+up, or adb commands?
Can i install CM onto the phone under these circumstances?

Thanks for any help given!
9th July 2014, 10:50 AM   |  #2  
Flag Bristol
Thanks Meter: 118

491 posts
More
Not sure how you are going to select options in recovery as you need the power button unless you have Touch Recovery or TWRP recovery. Anyway use this app to boot to recovery http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1423071
Last edited by pryerlee; 9th July 2014 at 10:56 AM.
9th July 2014, 12:54 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pryerlee

Not sure how you are going to select options in recovery as you need the power button unless you have Touch Recovery or TWRP recovery.

Well , the home button does the trick, i think i tried it on the stock recovery mode.

Quote:

Anyway use this app to boot to recovery http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1423071

With the adb commands i can do that... but if i get into a bootloop i cant use this app, can i?
Last edited by ares9281; 9th July 2014 at 01:00 PM.
9th July 2014, 05:17 PM   |  #4  
Flag Bristol
Thanks Meter: 118

491 posts
More
Sorry i miss understood you, so you are in a recovery bootloop?
10th July 2014, 09:10 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pryerlee

Sorry i miss understood you, so you are in a recovery bootloop?

Well if i install a new recovery mod like clockworkmod then i'll be in one. That is why it is necessary to reboot in it so i can install the ROM.
11th July 2014, 03:30 PM   |  #6  
Flag Cape Town
Thanks Meter: 90

382 posts
More
Rather get your power button replaced.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread