Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,124 Members 39,878 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Installing custom rom, on galaxy s gt-i9000, with a busted power button

Tip us?

ares9281
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Phone Installing custom rom, on galaxy s gt-i9000, with a busted power button

Hi there i am relatively new to android modding and rooting etc. I recently tried to install Cyanogenmod to my phone and I succeeded, but the next day my phone began to restart itself, turns out that the power button is broken. We tried to repair it but ended up burning down the processors internal i/o (latch or whatever structure it has) with a faulty multimeter . Now i have to turn on my phone with a dock cable (with 1kohm res) which wakes up the phone, i can access the Download mode by plugging in the dock, and pressing home+down, but the recovery needs the power button signal too.

I can access the recovery by using adb commands, but i need to boot in. If i install a new recovery like CWM, i am stuck in a bootloop and i don't know if i can use the adb commands. Is there any other way to get into recovery mode, besides home+power+up, or adb commands?
Can i install CM onto the phone under these circumstances?

Thanks for any help given!

pryerlee
Old
(Last edited by pryerlee; 9th July 2014 at 09:56 AM.)
Thanks Meter 117
Not sure how you are going to select options in recovery as you need the power button unless you have Touch Recovery or TWRP recovery. Anyway use this app to boot to recovery http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1423071

ares9281
Old
(Last edited by ares9281; 9th July 2014 at 12:00 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pryerlee View Post
Not sure how you are going to select options in recovery as you need the power button unless you have Touch Recovery or TWRP recovery.
Well , the home button does the trick, i think i tried it on the stock recovery mode.

Quote:
Anyway use this app to boot to recovery http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1423071
With the adb commands i can do that... but if i get into a bootloop i cant use this app, can i?

pryerlee
Old
Thanks Meter 117
Sorry i miss understood you, so you are in a recovery bootloop?

ares9281
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pryerlee View Post
Sorry i miss understood you, so you are in a recovery bootloop?
Well if i install a new recovery mod like clockworkmod then i'll be in one. That is why it is necessary to reboot in it so i can install the ROM.

LuqmaanMathee
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Rather get your power button replaced.