FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

What did you get as replacement for your S+?

2,890 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,715

By XeLLaR*, Senior Member on 1st September 2014, 03:56 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
15th October 2015, 06:27 PM |#461  
Flag Hoorn NH
Thanks Meter: 899

More
Congratulations! Did you sell your Moto G 2014? Or is it an extra phone?

16th October 2015, 09:59 AM |#462  
Thanks Meter: 130

More
I used my S1 for a few year's. Hacked it. Did all sorts to it. Used it for both ROM and app development. I loved it. Sadly, I came to resent the S1 simply because it aged very quickly. It ran ICS really well yet it was after this that it got noticeably tired. Towards the end, I was looking at phones every day.

I eventually replaced it with a Nexus 4 when the first came on sale in England. Wonderful phone. Unlike the S1, the N4 is seemingly ageless still running modern Android beautifully.

However, the N4 quickly became a problem for me due to low space. I'm now on an S4 which I love.

I do, however, still own my S1 and use it for it's excellent TV out functionality. I'm yet to see another device with this and considering tv out is now old hat, we're unlikely to.
16th October 2015, 10:54 PM |#463  
Thanks Meter: 108

More
Bought a Honor 6 ! Its just awesome and a HUGE jump from SGS+ with 5.1

Sent from my H60-L04 using XDA Free mobile app
17th October 2015, 05:17 AM |#464  
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 171

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitharro

Congratulations! Did you sell your Moto G 2014? Or is it an extra phone?

Just an extra phone which i and my wife would use as a common tab/reader/browser etc.
Won't ever sell the Moto G2. Will only pass it down to relatives or friends.

Streamed from XDA app on my XT1068
The Following User Says Thank You to anoopgkris For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift anoopgkris Ad-Free
19th October 2015, 05:01 PM |#465  
Thanks Meter: 2,252

More
Quote:

It's quite a leap forward... Congrats! But at it's time the S+ was NOT a horrible phone! It's still usable, as long as you use a KitKat rom. Lollipop is just one step too far..
For Lollipop you have an S6 now! (And I have a Motorola Moto G 2nd edition (way cheaper than an S6)).

Written with my XT1068 using Tapatalk on CM12.1

Yes you are correct However the S+ has an amazing community. The Xperia SP does not.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrjraider For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrjraider Ad-Free
20th October 2015, 11:17 AM |#466  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjraider

Yes you are correct However the S+ has an amazing community. The Xperia SP does not.

I think the Galaxy S community is truly one of the best on the planet, but part of the reason for this is that the Galaxy S1 was perhaps one of the first really good Android phones. Now before people jump on my back here, the competition at the time was stuff like the HTC Desire (which wasn't a great phone imo) and even worse stuff like the HTC Hero. The I9000 really was the first Android phone to truly piss all over the iPhone.
The Following User Says Thank You to skezza For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift skezza Ad-Free
21st October 2015, 09:00 PM |#467  
Flag Hoorn NH
Thanks Meter: 899

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by skezza

I think the Galaxy S community is truly one of the best on the planet, but part of the reason for this is that the Galaxy S1 was perhaps one of the first really good Android phones. Now before people jump on my back here, the competition at the time was stuff like the HTC Desire (which wasn't a great phone imo) and even worse stuff like the HTC Hero. The I9000 really was the first Android phone to truly piss all over the iPhone.

True, at the release time of the S(+) it was a great phone. Nowadays the S6(+) is serious competition for the 6S (iPhone). So it's S6 vs 6S now...
Still, I love(d) the S+ community. For my Motorola it's OK, but it isn't a warm bath. In the S(+) community there always was a lot of respect for each other. Even 'dump' questions were answered with respect. And if someone posted something good or nice, he always got a lot of 'thanks'.
This is sooo different in the Moto G 2014 community... It's professional, but not warm!

Last edited by smitharro; 21st October 2015 at 09:02 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smitharro For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift smitharro Ad-Free
21st October 2015, 11:28 PM |#468  
Flag Matosinhos
Thanks Meter: 488

More
Well, after 5 years with the S+, I move on to another phone, a Galaxy A7 with a exynos chip. The performance on this phone is very good, compared with higher chips, ..not with our S+
The quality of the screen is amazing, also the cameras. The less positive thing is the sound from the speaker but with a bluetooth speaker or earphones, solve it
the battery is not removable, but have support to sdcard, feature i value very much.
For now not much support for this A7 at xda, but I believe that sooner or later will appear, if not i change phone

I hold the S+ as a homephone, music player, also for testing and as a SOSphone

Were very good years with this community, I learned a lot from the ADC-team, not to mention how much I benefited from all their knowledge to keep me so long with the same phone
All thanks to these incredible devs, this amazing team and this fantastic community
Thanks guys for everything

I will be with an eye on the forum of our S+

Cheers,

Hugo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugo-PT For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Hugo-PT Ad-Free
5th November 2015, 12:14 PM |#469  

More
Quote:

True, at the release time of the S(+) it was a great phone. Nowadays the S6(+) is serious competition for the 6S (iPhone). So it's S6 vs 6S now...
Still, I love(d) the S+ community. For my Motorola it's OK, but it isn't a warm bath. In the S(+) community there always was a lot of respect for each other. Even 'dump' questions were answered with respect. And if someone posted something good or nice, he always got a lot of 'thanks'.
This is sooo different in the Moto G 2014 community... It's professional, but not warm!

At the time, the I9000 wasn't a great phone, it was an exceptional phone. There were no other phones quite like it. Not just the processor performance, but the sensational screen (far better than the iPhone), the battery life, the audio quality (still the best audio chip in any phone available). At the time, I had a Nokia 5800 XpressMusic and was enjoying my final dance with Symbian (which for many years had been my favourite mobile OS). The writing was on the wall unfortunately, and therefore it was iPhone, or Android. I bought a broken second hand iPhone and spent about £80 getting it fixed. I was so disappointed. So disappointed in fact that I sold it off eBay a few weeks later.

So, I then spent months looking at cheap Android phones, but the people on this forum convinced me to go for the i9000 and what a great decision. I think if I had gone for a super cheap Android, I might not have been fully immersed in what a truly fantastic OS it is. Of course, Gingerbread was still raw, and it was nothing compared to what Android is now, but back then, it was a truly exceptional OS for the times and with the dev community the way it was, we were set for the lifetime of the phone.

The only shame was that Android grew so quickly that I slowly came to dislike the I9000, unlike the Nexus 4 which of course has a huge amount of power compared to the single chip S1. I still have the S1 though and I still use it for the TV-Out
Last edited by skezza; 5th November 2015 at 03:30 PM.
5th November 2015, 02:14 PM |#470  
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 171

More
Quote:

Agree with you on the warmth on the S+ forum. And because of the passion of the developers and testers there, we were able to run 5 generations of Android OS on the S+.

Sent from my C6833 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anoopgkris For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift anoopgkris Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)