Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,629 Members 54,283 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Keyboard layout functions not working HELP?!?!?

Tip us?

pantherz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Unhappy Keyboard layout functions not working HELP?!?!?

When I go into Device>System>usr>keylayout>sec_keypad.kl I changed the funtion keys from:

key 59 MENU
key 60 HOME
to:
key 59 HOME
key 60 MENU

I then restarted the phone but there was no change to the settings. I went back to the sec_keylayout.kl file and it shows that the keys have still been changed but there is no effect to the phone at all. I've also downloaded the program called "Buttom Remapper" but the changes I make there has no effect either. I'm also looking for ways to remap the long press functions on some of the keys but I'm not sure which numbers represent those functions. I also know about "Home2shortcut" but that application only works with home buttons which this phone does not have. I also have my phone rooted but I don't know if its S-OFF or S-ON so i don't know if that could be a reason I'm having this issue. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

pantherz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Just checking to see if anybody has any idea on how to solve this issue?!?!? HELP???

Player-J
Old
(Last edited by Player-J; 29th June 2014 at 08:30 PM.) Reason: expanded
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherz View Post
Just checking to see if anybody has any idea on how to solve this issue?!?!? HELP???
Did you mount the system as r/w before making changes to the file? Otherwise, the changes won't stick. I use Script Manager to mount the system as r/w - edit the file- save- remount the system as r/o- exit and done. This always works for me. Also,there are a couple of good threads on here about remapping keys and alt layouts, there might be an answer there. I don't think being s-on or s-off has anything to do with your problem - I'm pretty sure that is an HTC thing and doesn't apply to Samsung devices. Perhaps your experience is already past this but I wanted to to try. Sorry, I can't be more help than that. Good luck!

pantherz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player-J View Post
Did you mount the system as r/w before making changes to the file? Otherwise, the changes won't stick. I use Script Manager to mount the system as r/w - edit the file- save- remount the system as r/o- exit and done. This always works for me. Also,there are a couple of good threads on here about remapping keys and alt layouts, there might be an answer there. I don't think being s-on or s-off has anything to do with your problem - I'm pretty sure that is an HTC thing and doesn't apply to Samsung devices. Perhaps your experience is already past this but I wanted to to try. Sorry, I can't be more help than that. Good luck!

OMG sorry I didnt see this!! Thanks for the reply!!! I could download Manager Script right now but how do you mount as r/w with script manager?? also can I mount the system as r/w with other programs such as "root explorer" or ES File Explorer?? I wouldn't even know how to remount the system as r/o after im done since this the first time im doing anything like this

Player-J
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
OMG sorry I didnt see this!! Thanks for the reply!!! I could download Manager Script right now but how do you mount as r/w with script manager?? also can I mount the system as r/w with other programs such as "root explorer" or ES File Explorer?? I wouldn't even know how to remount the system as r/o after im done since this the first time im doing anything like this
Open Script Manager - select Browse as Root - choose "Always" when prompted. Next, press your Menu key - this will pop up a menu of options - choose Advanced - this will give you more selections - choose mount system as r/w - exit by pressing your Home button (leaving script manager running in the background. Now any changes you want to make can be written to the system. When done go through the options again to remount the system as r/o. This app also has a built-in text editor, so you can make and save changes from within.

Root Explorer and ES can do some of these things. I use ES to manage files sometimes but I'm not really sure about mounting and re-mounting the system. Script Manager for sure can do all this. Another option is to use terminal, either on a computer or an app on the phone. Here's a link to a guide.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki...g_the_Terminal

Hope this solves your problem. Even if it doesn't these are still good things to know.

pantherz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player-J View Post
Open Script Manager - select Browse as Root - choose "Always" when prompted. Next, press your Menu key - this will pop up a menu of options - choose Advanced - this will give you more selections - choose mount system as r/w - exit by pressing your Home button (leaving script manager running in the background. Now any changes you want to make can be written to the system. When done go through the options again to remount the system as r/o. This app also has a built-in text editor, so you can make and save changes from within.

Root Explorer and ES can do some of these things. I use ES to manage files sometimes but I'm not really sure about mounting and re-mounting the system. Script Manager for sure can do all this. Another option is to use terminal, either on a computer or an app on the phone. Here's a link to a guide.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki...g_the_Terminal

Hope this solves your problem. Even if it doesn't these are still good things to know.
Ok so these are the steps I took exactly:
*Opened the Script Manager and gave it superuser permissions
* Selected the menu button and selected advanced
*selected the option that says "Mount/system as FW"
*then I went into Device>System>usr>keylayout>sec_keypad.kl in Script Manager
*Then I selected "text." But when I did that a screen popped up that read:
"you only have read permission with this file. do you want to create a local copy and edit it or open file directly"
*Then I selected "create copy" and when I did that a small Notification popped up that read:
"File RW permission denied, using a copy"

I don't know if you are getting the same notifications or screen popups as well but from what Im understand is that these popups are not good and its basically telling me that something went wrong during the mounting process. Any suggestion??

P.S. I also have a video of the steps if you would like to see

Player-J
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Ok so these are the steps I took exactly:
*Opened the Script Manager and gave it superuser permissions
* Selected the menu button and selected advanced
*selected the option that says "Mount/system as FW"
*then I went into Device>System>usr>keylayout>sec_keypad.kl in Script Manager
*Then I selected "text." But when I did that a screen popped up that read:
"you only have read permission with this file. do you want to create a local copy and edit it or open file directly"
*Then I selected "create copy" and when I did that a small Notification popped up that read:
"File RW permission denied, using a copy"

I don't know if you are getting the same notifications or screen popups as well but from what Im understand is that these popups are not good and its basically telling me that something went wrong during the mounting process. Any suggestion??

P.S. I also have a video of the steps if you would like to see
You were doing fine up until the point you selected to "create copy". At this point, you want to "open directly" so that you can edit the file. When you are done, save and your changes should stick. It would be wise to back up the original file somewhere. In case something goes wrong, you can always delete your mistake and put the original back in place.