Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,690 Members 48,793 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New Relay, new to Android, want to install CM, stuck on first step

Tip us?

openletter
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Default New Relay, new to Android, want to install CM, stuck on first step

I just made the switch from BlackBerry to Android and the Relay seems like a good fit for me since I really can't stand touchscreen keyboards. I already unlocked the phone per the forum sticky since I'm on AT&T and it was a priority.

I *think* I want to install Cyanogenmod 10.2 (I'm a fan of using stable builds). When I look over the installation instructions, I'm a bit cornfused on step one:

There is an Important Note instructing users to install bootloader and radio firmware. How do I do that? The zip files it links to don't include any instructions or links to any instructions.

REV3NT3CH
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1370

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by openletter View Post
I just made the switch from BlackBerry to Android and the Relay seems like a good fit for me since I really can't stand touchscreen keyboards. I already unlocked the phone per the forum sticky since I'm on AT&T and it was a priority.

I *think* I want to install Cyanogenmod 10.2 (I'm a fan of using stable builds). When I look over the installation instructions, I'm a bit cornfused on step one:

There is an Important Note instructing users to install bootloader and radio firmware. How do I do that? The zip files it links to don't include any instructions or links to any instructions.
It pretty much means update to the latest ota available...which is T699UVBMC5 if you don't you'll have issues with signal and such...last I heard 10.2 had very rapid battery drain and stability issues but its possible they may be fixed but idk...most stable would be cm11 in terms of cyanogenmod but all my users say my latest carbon ROM is the most stable ROM available for relay as they go back to that if any issues arise in my other ROMs or teamapexq roms. Liquidsmooth ROM that I have has a lot of tweaks and mods and is fast and smooth...it gets updated the most as it is official and there is an ota within the ROM that whenever I release you can update it straight from phone without really having to do anything
☢ Samsung Galaxy SIII ☢
Rom: [4.4.3] [Official] LiquidSmooth v3.1 Kernel: Deathly 1.6 Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0
☢ Samsung Relay 4g ☢
Rom: [4.4.3] [Official] LiquidSmooth v3.1 Kernel: B14CKB1RD Recovery:TWRP 2.7.0.0
☢ HTC REZOUND ☢
HBOOT: 2.28, Unlocked, S-Off, 2.23.10.0123r/2.23.10.0124r radios Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0 (Masque Of The Red Death)

Donations are never expected but are greatly appreciated
The Following User Says Thank You to REV3NT3CH For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

openletter
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by REV3NT3CH View Post
It pretty much means update to the latest ota available...which is T699UVBMC5 if you don't you'll have issues with signal and such...last I heard 10.2 had very rapid battery drain and stability issues but its possible they may be fixed but idk...most stable would be cm11 in terms of cyanogenmod but all my users say my latest carbon ROM is the most stable ROM available for relay as they go back to that if any issues arise in my other ROMs or teamapexq roms. Liquidsmooth ROM that I have has a lot of tweaks and mods and is fast and smooth...it gets updated the most as it is official and there is an ota within the ROM that whenever I release you can update it straight from phone without really having to do anything
I'm having a hard time finding an install guide for anything other than CM. For carbon, I'm guessing it's located at vp-zp.com/snuzzo/roms/carbonrom/apexqtmo/kk/ ? Even that I got from googling and then backtracking links from a blog post, as the carbon webpage doesn't seem to have a Relay ROM listed.

To be honest, as a total n00b at this, I'm having a hard time pulling all the pieces together to understand the various different abbreviations, projects, download sources, etc. My goal is simply a nice stable build that is maintained, updated to support major features, but without adding issues, such you as mentioned there may be battery life issues in CM.

Gibson99
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
I'm having a hard time finding an install guide for anything other than CM. For carbon, I'm guessing it's located at vp-zp.com/snuzzo/roms/carbonrom/apexqtmo/kk/ ? Even that I got from googling and then backtracking links from a blog post, as the carbon webpage doesn't seem to have a Relay ROM listed.

To be honest, as a total n00b at this, I'm having a hard time pulling all the pieces together to understand the various different abbreviations, projects, download sources, etc. My goal is simply a nice stable build that is maintained, updated to support major features, but without adding issues, such you as mentioned there may be battery life issues in CM.
i've been running the M7 snapshot of CM11 for about a month now. my only complaint about battery isn't really the rom's fault - if i'm watching a lot of netflix or youtube, the battery goes down faster. that's not really a surprise though.

i'm still pretty new to the relay though i've had a couple other androids before this one. but i suggest you use TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) instead of CWM (clockworkmod) for your recovery. it's got a gui and is a bit easier to use when flashing roms and doing wipes and stuff.

bsically the process is to boot your phone into download mode, flash twrp, then reboot the phone into twrp, wipe everything, then flash CM and gapps (if you want google apps like gmail, play store, etc). then wipe cache/dalvik/factory reset (because some roms are unstable if you simply flash without doing the second wipe). no need to try to inject SU (superuser) or anything since pretty much all custom roms are already rooted. there are other posts that go into more detail but this should about cover it.
{Cheap} {Fast} {Reliable}
Choose any TWO
The Following User Says Thank You to Gibson99 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

openletter
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson99 View Post
i've been running the M7 snapshot of CM11 for about a month now. my only complaint about battery isn't really the rom's fault - if i'm watching a lot of netflix or youtube, the battery goes down faster. that's not really a surprise though.

i'm still pretty new to the relay though i've had a couple other androids before this one. but i suggest you use TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) instead of CWM (clockworkmod) for your recovery. it's got a gui and is a bit easier to use when flashing roms and doing wipes and stuff.

bsically the process is to boot your phone into download mode, flash twrp, then reboot the phone into twrp, wipe everything, then flash CM and gapps (if you want google apps like gmail, play store, etc). then wipe cache/dalvik/factory reset (because some roms are unstable if you simply flash without doing the second wipe). no need to try to inject SU (superuser) or anything since pretty much all custom roms are already rooted. there are other posts that go into more detail but this should about cover it.
Where can I download TWRP for the Relay?

Gibson99
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Where can I download TWRP for the Relay?
search for it in the relay forum - it has its own thread, i think in the dev sub-forum. instructions to install it are the same as cwm, just use the twrp file instead of cwm.
{Cheap} {Fast} {Reliable}
Choose any TWO

openletter
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson99 View Post
search for it in the relay forum - it has its own thread, i think in the dev sub-forum. instructions to install it are the same as cwm, just use the twrp file instead of cwm.
Thanks - I was just discovering that forum when you replied. I had looked right passed it initially since there isn't usually anything for me in dev forums for other projects I use.