Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,524 Members 42,484 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] First attempt from 4.1.2 to KK = stuck at yellow triangle

Tip us?

newtype_lex
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] First attempt from 4.1.2 to KK = stuck at yellow triangle

Hello, as you guys have already figured out, I am new to rooting. In trying to use Odin to flash CWM into the S II, the phone will not boot after logo. Even when attempting to boot into recovery mode the phone just loops back to the logo. I think I messed up big time. Thanks for reading.

cyril279
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,282
Your post tells us that you're trying to get a different recovery onto the device; it would be very helpful to know what you flashed.

Recovery on the i777 is packaged with the kernel, so you will gain a custom recovery by flashing an appropriate kernel. I don't think that the recovery can be installed separately on this device.

using desktop Odin to flash anything other than stock firmware will result in tripping the flash counter, and the phone will display the yellow triangle as the initial boot screen. Flashing custom firmware via desktop ODIN does NOT necessarily mean that the device won't boot, which leaves me wondering what you flashed.

What is your goal? It will be easier to direct you once we are properly aware of where you were, and what you are aiming to achieve.

-Cyril

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtype_lex View Post
Hello, as you guys have already figured out, I am new to rooting. In trying to use Odin to flash CWM into the S II, the phone will not boot after logo. Even when attempting to boot into recovery mode the phone just loops back to the logo. I think I messed up big time. Thanks for reading.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cyril279 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

newtype_lex
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril279 View Post
Your post tells us that you're trying to get a different recovery onto the device; it would be very helpful to know what you flashed.

Recovery on the i777 is packaged with the kernel, so you will gain a custom recovery by flashing an appropriate kernel. I don't think that the recovery can be installed separately on this device.

using desktop Odin to flash anything other than stock firmware will result in tripping the flash counter, and the phone will display the yellow triangle as the initial boot screen. Flashing custom firmware via desktop ODIN does NOT necessarily mean that the device won't boot, which leaves me wondering what you flashed.

What is your goal? It will be easier to direct you once we are properly aware of where you were, and what you are aiming to achieve.

-Cyril
Thanks for replying to my post. The first thing I flashed via Odin was the CWM KitKatcompatible tar file and that was when the problem started. Right now I'm trying to get the S II to boot past the logo.

cyril279
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtype_lex View Post
Thanks for replying to my post. The first thing I flashed via Odin was the CWM KitKatcompatible tar file and that was when the problem started. Right now I'm trying to get the S II to boot past the logo.
Do you know what version of Android was running on the device before you flashed cwm?
The Following User Says Thank You to cyril279 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cyril279
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,282
My recommendation is to return to stock.

Quote:
First, download the stock 4.1.2 Jellybean Full distribution, I777UCMD8 from the Download Repository. It's the next to last item near the bottom. The downloaded file is in seven-zip (.7z) format and you need to extract the contents using an archiving program. The resulting file, which will have a ...tar.md5 extension, is the file you will use in step 7 below. Also download Odin3 v1.85. There is a link near the top of the page in the Repository.

How to use stand-alone Odin3 to flash firmware:

Follow and recheck each of the following steps. Do them in order listed, as some steps are dependent on previous steps. Instructions are for Odin3 v1.85. It should work with any version of Odin, but some details, like color of items, may be different.

1.) Open Odin on the Windows Desktop.
2.) Have the USB cable plugged into USB port on the computer, but *Not* plugged in to the phone.
3.) Shut the phone off.
4.) While holding down the vol+ & vol- keys, plug micro-usb plug into phone.
5.) In Odin, you should get the yellow box under where it says ID:COM with the text 0:[COMx], and in the Message area, <ID:0/00x> Added!! where x is some number, usually 1-8.
6.) In Odin, make sure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are checked and all other items are not checked.
7.) Click on the PDA button. Browse to the tar file you want to install and select it so its path appears in the text edit box next to the button.
8.) Make sure the check box next to the PDA button is checked.
9.) Click the Start button.
10.) You should see the green progress bar advancing.
11.) When complete, you will get a PASS (or FAIL if unsuccessful).

[...]

Once you have the phone up and running, Framaroot with the Aragorn exploit is the easiest way to root.
Let us know how things went.

-Cyril
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cyril279 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

newtype_lex
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

-Cyril
alright I'll let you know how it goes asap

newtype_lex
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

-Cyril
So it turns out that CWM worked for me. So I proceeded to install the 4.4 ROM haha silly me. Thanks for your help though!.