Post Reply

[Q] gs2 att i777 died while charging overnight

OP vprabs

30th August 2014, 01:51 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2014
i had my phone plugged to the charger overnight about 2 weeks back. it was charging then, however it was completely dead in the morning.

tried holding the power button, nothing on the screen
tried removing the battery (had it out for > 1hr) and then inserted the battery back and tried charging/starting , nothing on the screen
i tried the power + volumerUP + volumeDown and nothing on the screen
Tried plugging the USB to a computer and tired to put the phone in download mode , but screen was dead.

i tried replacing the battery with a new one (from ebay) and it is still dead. the battery show about 3.8V when i check the + and - terminals using a multimeter.

it was working the night before and was dead in the morning, the phone is about 22 months old and it was running the original rom (i had rooted the phone about a year back),

i am not sure if the phone is bricked, please help guys.
30th August 2014, 02:46 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,037
 
2,484 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by vprabs

...Tried plugging the USB to a computer and tired to put the phone in download mode , but screen was dead.

...i am not sure if the phone is bricked, please help guys.

bricked = no sign of life under any circumstances

Try putting the phone into download mode when the battery is removed. Pull the battery and leave it out. Connect the phone to the PC via USB cable, and hold down vol+ and vol- (but not pwr). The USB cable will supply the power. Let us know if it will boot into download mode using this method.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to creepyncrawly For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th September 2014, 05:49 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepyncrawly

bricked = no sign of life under any circumstances

Try putting the phone into download mode when the battery is removed. Pull the battery and leave it out. Connect the phone to the PC via USB cable, and hold down vol+ and vol- (but not pwr). The USB cable will supply the power. Let us know if it will boot into download mode using this method.

Thanks for the reply.

I tried to put the phone in download mode when battery is removed, however there was no message/flicker either on the screen and the computer did not recognise any device. I held the vol+ and vol- buttons together for about 15 seconds.
5th September 2014, 01:15 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,037
 
2,484 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by vprabs

I tried to put the phone in download mode when battery is removed, however there was no message/flicker either on the screen and the computer did not recognise any device. I held the vol+ and vol- buttons together for about 15 seconds.

Sounds like a true brick. The phone is getting old enough that it may not be cost effective to send it out for repair. But if you do choose to go for a repair, Mobile Tech Videos in LA has a very highly respected reputation here.

There are several ways to put the phone into download mode. You should try all of them that you can before you give up.

Recovery mode:

With the phone off (and not connected to the computer), and battery installed, hold all three buttons, vol- vol+ pwr continuously until the initial boot screen appears the second time.

Download mode:

1. With the phone off and connected to the computer via USB cable, and battery installed, hold all three buttons, vol- vol+ pwr.

2. With the phone off and battery installed, hold vol- and vol+ (but not pwr) while plugging in the USB cable.

3. With the phone off and battery installed, hold vol- (but not vol+ or pwr) while plugging in the USB cable.

4. Attempt each of the above three options with the battery removed from the phone. The computer will supply the power to the phone.

5. Use Android Debug Bridge (adb) which will only work if USB debugging has been already turned on in Developer Options, since you can't boot into the system to turn it on. With the battery installed and the phone connected to the pc via USB cable, use the command "adb reboot download".

6. Use a USB jig. With the battery installed insert the USB jig into the USB connector of the phone. Some have reported that this method works when no other method would work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to creepyncrawly For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes