Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,510 Members 55,292 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Anybody know what is the best Offline GPS app for Hiking?

Tip us?

justinblaine23
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Question [Q] Anybody know what is the best Offline GPS app for Hiking?

I have looked through google and parts of this forum but haven't really had any luck on finding an app that will show coordinates when you're offline. I know there are apps where you can download a map and store it on your SD card, but I like to hike in Eastern Oregon and Western Idaho where there aren't really any options to get the maps digitally.

I was wondering if anyone knew of an app that allowed you to enter coordinates to navigate there or to have it save your current coordinates so you could return there.

Thanks,

Justin

stone_ship
Old
Thanks Meter 176
Did you check out Locus and Maverick from the Android Apps and Games forum? If they are good, maybe come back and do a mini-review? I'd be interested in setting up something similar on my phone.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=907430
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1524092

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24090

DONATE TO ME
OSMAnd might also be useful - if your hiking trails are in OSM.

However OSMAnd doesn't do offline terrain/topo.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations

justinblaine23
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
OSMAnd might also be useful - if your hiking trails are in OSM.

However OSMAnd doesn't do offline terrain/topo.
Thanks, IDK I'll have a physical topo map so I don't necessarily need topo, I'll check it out. I'm more concerned about the Lat/Long Coordinates to make sure I can get back to my car...It's hours away from even remote towns and I don't want to get lost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone_ship View Post
Did you check out Locus and Maverick from the Android Apps and Games forum? If they are good, maybe come back and do a mini-review? I'd be interested in setting up something similar on my phone.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=907430
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1524092
I'll check them out and post back if I find useful, I did download maverick and it looks like it allows you to navigate to coordinates. I also downloaded the free version of backpacker GPS Trails and it's pretty good as well, It even has a map which includes one of the hikes I'm interested in. I'll update in a few weeks after I've had some time to try them out around town...

Thanks guys.

techjeep
Old
(Last edited by techjeep; 15th March 2012 at 06:20 PM.) Reason: added market link
Thanks Meter 50
Gaia GPS is nice. You can predownload maps and record and save your hikes, then post them with google maps.
TechJeep

Phone:
Samsung SGH-I317 AT&T Galaxy Note 2
running - Whatever the cool kids have these days.

Tablet:
Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
running - Stock

Device Graveyard:
ASUS Transformer Prime - given to my kid
Samsung SGH-I777 Galaxy S2 - sold
Acer Iconia a500 - died a horrible crushing death
Samsung SGH-I897 Galaxy S Captivate - sold to tautvydas
AT&T Tilt (HTC Kaiser) - collecting dust in a drawer

justinblaine23
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by techjeep View Post
Gaia GPS is nice. You can predownload maps and record and save your hikes, then post them with google maps.
Cool Thanks, I'll mess around with the map making first then I might have to check Gaia out..you think it's worth the $10?

VerticalCobra
Old
Thanks Meter 250
There's AllTrails, Backpacker GPS Trails Lite, and MyTracks too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinblaine23 View Post
Cool Thanks, I'll mess around with the map making first then I might have to check Gaia out..you think it's worth the $10?

mvi57
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerticalCobra View Post
There's AllTrails, Backpacker GPS Trails Lite, and MyTracks too!
I've used My Tracks to record bike rides, and the only issue I've had with it is that I always seem to start off about 200-400 ft below sea level. I can usually get GPS Test app to settle down to something close to actual altitude, but My Tracks never does even if I let it sit for 5 minutes outside with a clear view of the sky before I start recording the ride. According to the GPS Status app web site, this is the way the GPS works on Android.

SilverZero
Old
Thanks Meter 179
I swear by Locus Pro, personally. There's a "map tweak" add-on available that allows you to view and download from Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. plus they have up-to-date My Topo maps. Whenever I'm heading out, I download the entire area down to the highest zoom level, in Google terrain maps and My Topo maps, and maybe satellite if I'm feeling like I might want it (though those tiles are a lot larger than the rest). It even interfaces with My Tracks if you want to use that to record your route instead of the built-in tracker.

pfmahoney
Old
Thanks Meter 12
I've used Gaia GPS several times in the past hiking around the Rockies and it's been great. No issues at all. I'm not sure that it's the best, but it's worked well for me.

Tags
gps, hiking, offline