OP Berthfield

1st September 2014, 06:26 AM   |  #11  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepyncrawly

Yes, that is correct. That is the original stock gingerbread from when the phone was first released.

I agree that it is a puzzle. Just to be sure, you followed the directions exactly? I'm not sure why, but the sequence will clear nand read/write corruption. You might try once again with the SBL -> Siyah Kernel -> Full Gingerbread, just to make sure.

1) Flash the SBL by itself and pull the battery.
2) Flash the Siyah kernel by itself and pull the battery.
3) Flash the full Gingerbread stock and pull the battery.
4) Enter recovery and perform a wipe data/factory reset.
5) Reboot.

Did the above and it is still a no go.

I have come to realize that the phone seems to think it is in recovery mode when I attempt to enter it as if it is plugged in while on the black screen it doesn't display the charging animation. This occurs regardless of the kernel/recovery combo that is on the phone and while in that state it is also not detected by the computer. To rule out possible problems I have also attempted the flash on a different computer with a different cable and it is still the same.

I remember reading about the ICS hard-brick bug and that it was possible to brick the phone is a large enough file was written to memory. Is it possible that this could be my problem or would Odin return a error if the chip was damaged? Also I am not sure if this matters but I find it odd that after flashing the Siyah kernel and CWM the phone still hasn't tripped its custom binary counter.
1st September 2014, 02:31 PM   |  #12  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,039

2,484 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berthfield

Did the above and it is still a no go.

I have come to realize that the phone seems to think it is in recovery mode when I attempt to enter it as if it is plugged in while on the black screen it doesn't display the charging animation. This occurs regardless of the kernel/recovery combo that is on the phone and while in that state it is also not detected by the computer. To rule out possible problems I have also attempted the flash on a different computer with a different cable and it is still the same.

I remember reading about the ICS hard-brick bug and that it was possible to brick the phone is a large enough file was written to memory. Is it possible that this could be my problem or would Odin return a error if the chip was damaged? Also I am not sure if this matters but I find it odd that after flashing the Siyah kernel and CWM the phone still hasn't tripped its custom binary counter.

Evidently, this situation is beyond my experience.

My understanding is that if emmc memory is damaged within a given partition, then Odin will not be able to successfully flash that partition. While I don't know exactly how Odin functions, I believe there are checks within the flashing sequence for each partition. So as stated before, it is assumed that if you get a pass in Odin, there is not emmc damage, at least not within the various partitions that Odin flashes.

There was one case I remember with the emmc super brick bug where the phone would boot, but would not function correctly. Evidently in that case, a small portion of the emmc memory was damaged. The usual symptom of that bug was a hard brick.

The charging issue could be hardware or it could be a failing or failed battery. Have you tried another battery?

Flashing the Siyah kernel and not tripping the flash counter is more than a little odd. The code that governs that behavior is in the secondary boot loader as far as I know, and you have reflashed that. Please bear in mind that anything I say is speculation, but this issue give me a lot of reasons to think it is a failed hardware issue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to creepyncrawly For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread