No registration required

[Q&A] [cwm flash] ROM Wipe & Factory Reset & Cache Wipe

OP QA Bot

QA Bot
23rd January 2015, 12:19 AM   |  #1  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
Q&A for [cwm flash] ROM Wipe & Factory Reset & Cache Wipe

Some developers prefer that questions remain separate from their main development thread to help keep things organized. Placing your question within this thread will increase its chances of being answered by a member of the community or by the developer.

Before posting, please use the forum search and read through the discussion thread for [cwm flash] ROM Wipe & Factory Reset & Cache Wipe. If you can't find an answer, post it here, being sure to give as much information as possible (firmware version, steps to reproduce, logcat if available) so that you can get help.

Thanks for understanding and for helping to keep XDA neat and tidy!
23rd January 2015, 12:20 AM   |  #2  
Flag 38201
Thanks Meter: 6

7 posts
More
Sign Just purchased phone that shows E: failed to mount /preload error
Ok, I am new at this. Found this site when I was researching preload errors. My phone shows a red error of
E: failed to mount /preload (Invalid arguement)
E: install_application_for_customer :Can't mount /preload
your storage not prepared yet. please use UI menu for format and reboot actions.
copy application failed.

My question is this, it is obvious this device was previously rooted. They didn't know about reinstalling the stock rom I guess, and didn't do what is suggested in this thread. So to get this back to "normal" can I just root the device again, or do I need to first do a ROM wipe or a preload format?
23rd January 2015, 02:54 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,107

2,511 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprentice Adam

Ok, I am new at this. Found this site when I was researching preload errors. My phone shows a red error of
E: failed to mount /preload (Invalid arguement)
E: install_application_for_customer :Can't mount /preload
your storage not prepared yet. please use UI menu for format and reboot actions.
copy application failed.

My question is this, it is obvious this device was previously rooted. They didn't know about reinstalling the stock rom I guess, and didn't do what is suggested in this thread. So to get this back to "normal" can I just root the device again, or do I need to first do a ROM wipe or a preload format?

Assuming your phone is SGH-I777 or SGH-S959G and apparently the device is new to you. The most reliable way to proceed would be to use the Odin3 windows program and return the phone to stock. If you need additional help with this, please post your phone model and what you need help with.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to creepyncrawly For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd January 2015, 04:20 AM   |  #4  
Flag 38201

7 posts
More
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepyncrawly

Assuming your phone is SGH-I777 or SGH-S959G and apparently the device is new to you. The most reliable way to proceed would be to use the Odin3 windows program and return the phone to stock. If you need additional help with this, please post your phone model and what you need help with.

It is a S959G, Sorry about that. I haven't flashed to a different mod on this device yet. Experimenting with one that quit reading the sim cards (successfully!! YAY and thanks to you all!!) Just to make sure I understand correctly, I am going to need to reinstall a stock mod before moving on to the cm-10.1.3-i777 build, and using same steps for installing a CM?
23rd January 2015, 12:28 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,594

900 posts
Go here- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=33902328

Read that entire post. Anything and everything you need to get started is there. After that you can visit the I777 forums to find the ROM of your choice.

Also I would listen to creepyncrawly and flash to stock first if it's a used phone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr-cook For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th January 2015, 05:10 AM   |  #6  
Flag 38201

7 posts
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-cook

Go here- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=33902328

Read that entire post. Anything and everything you need to get started is there. After that you can visit the I777 forums to find the ROM of your choice.

Also I would listen to creepyncrawly and flash to stock first if it's a used phone.

Will do Thanks for the help......hope everyone has a great weekend!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
auto-qa
Previous Thread Next Thread