Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,782 Members 45,769 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Stuck on Samsung screen

Tip us?
 
dbur0727
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default [Q] Stuck on Samsung screen

Samsung Galaxy S 2 AT&T
Jellybean
Rooted about 3-4 months ago

The phone was fully charged and on the arm of the chair in my peripheral vision. I saw the Samsung logo come on and since then nothing has changed. I can't go into any mode (vol+, vol-, pwr). Cable connection to the computer shows no response that anything is connected to the computer. I took it to AT&T and they said there were issues with the last update that caused irreparable issues. (Of course they want to sell me the latest and greatest) I got a new S 5 but I would like to pass the S 2 to my daughter. I didn't lose any apps, pics or data. I just want it back to stock + rooted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
 
cyril279
Old
#2  
cyril279's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1035
Posts: 511
Join Date: Jun 2013
Just to be sure, are you holding vol +, vol -, pwr until you see the samsung logo the SECOND time?

It isn't always necessary to wait the second cycle, but it ensures that the key command is correctly registered by the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbur0727 View Post
Samsung Galaxy S 2 AT&T
Jellybean
Rooted about 3-4 months ago

The phone was fully charged and on the arm of the chair in my peripheral vision. I saw the Samsung logo come on and since then nothing has changed. I can't go into any mode (vol+, vol-, pwr). Cable connection to the computer shows no response that anything is connected to the computer. I took it to AT&T and they said there were issues with the last update that caused irreparable issues. (Of course they want to sell me the latest and greatest) I got a new S 5 but I would like to pass the S 2 to my daughter. I didn't lose any apps, pics or data. I just want it back to stock + rooted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cyril279 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
dbur0727
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril279 View Post
Just to be sure, are you holding vol +, vol -, pwr until you see the samsung logo the SECOND time?

It isn't always necessary to wait the second cycle, but it ensures that the key command is correctly registered by the phone.
I tried again making sure to release all buttons when I saw the logo the second time. I also tried again releasing the pwr button only. Nothing is working.
 
creepyncrawly
Old
#4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2959
Posts: 2,453
Join Date: Sep 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
You need to see if the phone will go into download mode. There are several ways to put the phone into download mode. You should try all of them that you can before you give up.

Download mode:

1. With the phone off and connected to the computer via USB cable, and battery installed, hold all three buttons, vol- vol+ pwr.

2. With the phone off and battery installed, hold vol- and vol+ (but not pwr) while plugging in the USB cable.

3. With the phone off and battery installed, hold vol- (but not vol+ or pwr) while plugging in the USB cable.

4. Attempt each of the above three options with the battery removed from the phone. The computer will supply the power to the phone.

5. Use Android Debug Bridge (adb) which will only work if USB debugging has been already turned on in Developer Options, since you can't boot into the system to turn it on. With the battery installed and the phone connected to the pc via USB cable, use the command "adb reboot download".

6. Use a USB jig. With the battery installed insert the USB jig into the USB connector of the phone. Some have reported that this method works when no other method would work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to creepyncrawly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
dbur0727
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepyncrawly View Post
You need to see if the phone will go into download mode. There are several ways to put the phone into download mode. You should try all of them that you can before you give up.

Download mode:

1. With the phone off and connected to the computer via USB cable, and battery installed, hold all three buttons, vol- vol+ pwr.

2. With the phone off and battery installed, hold vol- and vol+ (but not pwr) while plugging in the USB cable.

3. With the phone off and battery installed, hold vol- (but not vol+ or pwr) while plugging in the USB cable.

4. Attempt each of the above three options with the battery removed from the phone. The computer will supply the power to the phone.

5. Use Android Debug Bridge (adb) which will only work if USB debugging has been already turned on in Developer Options, since you can't boot into the system to turn it on. With the battery installed and the phone connected to the pc via USB cable, use the command "adb reboot download".

6. Use a USB jig. With the battery installed insert the USB jig into the USB connector of the phone. Some have reported that this method works when no other method would work.
Okay. I was successful using option 1. However, I installed the SIM card (for my daughter's phone) and it has been stuck on "Downloading..." for around 6 hours or so. Should I have downloaded a stock OS or something? Is it waiting for me? Is it pulling the factory default OS OTA?
 
creepyncrawly
Old
#6  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2959
Posts: 2,453
Join Date: Sep 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbur0727 View Post
Okay. I was successful using option 1. However, I installed the SIM card (for my daughter's phone) and it has been stuck on "Downloading..." for around 6 hours or so. Should I have downloaded a stock OS or something? Is it waiting for me? Is it pulling the factory default OS OTA?
Sorry I didn't include more information in my previous post. Putting the phone into download mode just lets us know that the phone can be recovered, but it doesn't do anything by itself. The process of recovery is to use the Odin program to install a fresh stock firmware onto the phone. Since you appearantly are unfamiliar with the process, I will explain in detail.

First, download the stock 4.1.2 Jellybean Full distribution, I777UCMD8 from the Download Repository. (link in my signature) It's the next to last item near the bottom. The downloaded file is in seven-zip (.7z) format and you need to extract the contents using an archiving program. The resulting file, which will have a ...tar.md5 extension, is the file you will use in step 7 below. Also download Odin3 v1.85. There is a link near the top of the page in the Repository.

How to use stand-alone Odin3 to flash firmware:

Follow and recheck each of the following steps. Do them in order listed, as some steps are dependent on previous steps. Instructions are for Odin3 v1.85. It should work with any version of Odin, but some details, like color of items, may be different.

1.) Open Odin on the Windows Desktop.
2.) Have the USB cable plugged into USB port on the computer, but *Not* plugged in to the phone.
3.) Shut the phone off.
4.) While holding down the vol+ & vol- keys, plug micro-usb plug into phone.
5.) In Odin, you should get the yellow box under where it says ID:COM with the text 0:[COMx], and in the Message area, <ID:0/00x> Added!! where x is some number, usually 1-8.
6.) In Odin, make sure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are checked and all other items are not checked.
7.) Click on the PDA button. Browse to the tar file you want to install and select it so its path appears in the text edit box next to the button.
8.) Make sure the check box next to the PDA button is checked.
9.) Click the Start button.
10.) You should see the green progress bar advancing.
11.) When complete, you will get a PASS (or FAIL if unsuccessful).

Since you are unable to get into recovery mode now, you may have to enter recovery after the firmware flash is successful if it won't boot on the first try. Use the instructions earlier in the thread to enter recovery, and perform a wipe data/factory reset.

Once you have the phone up and running, Framaroot with the Aragorn exploit is the easiest way to root.

If you need further help or instructions, feel free to ask.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to creepyncrawly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools
Display Modes