FORUMS

[Q] Updated Rooting or Ulocking for Samsung Galaxy S2 please..

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By jmccoll, Junior Member on 13th June 2015, 07:09 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I have been reading in forums about rooting and unlocking phones. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 . Model # is SGH-S959G.. It is Android version 2.3.6 and has Gingerbread UDL12.
I want to unlock the phone as it shows in my settings that Network Lock is "ON" and SP Lock is "ON". Subset lock is off as well as CP lock..
I understand that I may have to root the phone. I see from most of the threads I have read in various places, they were posted back from 2010 and up to about 2013. I am not seeing anything that appears to be current in threads that tell how to do this. I am wondering if there have been updates or changes, or even if this phone can be rooted or unlocked.

I purchased the phone at full price from Walmart. Used Straight Talk as the provider, but now I want to simply change to another provider using this phone instead of the phone they want to provide. When I bought the phone, unlocked and a lot of other things meant nothing to me because I was totally unfamiliar with phones. I still do not use the phone too much. I am 63 and not savvy to most of this, but did want to make sure I know all the facts ( as much as there are any ) before doing anything, as I am on limited income now and sure can not afford to really mess up my phone. Can you tell me if there are more updated posts or news on how to root or unlock this phone.

13th June 2015, 10:02 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 2,475

More
First, welcome to the XDA forums. There is a dedicated thread for your device, you can find it here. In the first post you'll find very specific information for your phone, so my recommendation would be to check there and see if it answers any other questions you might have.

To unlock you don't necessarily have to root your phone, but if you DO want to root the procedure is much easier than it used to be. Just download the Framaroot app from this thread and use the Aragorn exploit when prompted. Then reboot and you'll be rooted.

But again, you don't have to root just to unlock.

Here is a link to an old app that used to work for unlocking the i777/959... https://app.box.com/s/mu8xp28np9y7f9r9psqswljhhlhkfx3q. In order to install the app you may need to go to System Settings > Security > and check "Unknown Sources". This will allow the app to install, bypassing the "Play Store-only" check. If you're uncomfortable leaving "Unknown Sources" checked after you've installed the app, simply uncheck it it afterwards.

Because these devices are older and out of the warranty time-frame it's perfectly legitimate to unlock them, so see if that app will work. No guarantees, though! If you have any other questions please feel free to ask here, but you may find better answers from those users who actually have your device, as I have a tendency to over complicate things!
Last edited by SteveMurphy; 13th June 2015 at 11:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveMurphy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th June 2015, 08:06 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccoll

I have been reading in forums about rooting and unlocking phones. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 . Model # is SGH-S959G.. It is Android version 2.3.6 and has Gingerbread UDL12.
I want to unlock the phone as it shows in my settings that Network Lock is "ON" and SP Lock is "ON". Subset lock is off as well as CP lock..
I purchased the phone at full price from Walmart. Used Straight Talk as the provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMurphy

First, welcome to the XDA forums.
You don't have to root just to unlock.

Here is a link to an old app that used to work for unlocking the i777/959... . In order to install the app you may need to go to System Settings > Security > and check "Unknown Sources". This will allow the app to install, bypassing the "Play Store-only" check. If you're uncomfortable leaving "Unknown Sources" checked after you've installed the app, simply uncheck it it afterwards.

Because these devices are older and out of the warranty time-frame it's perfectly legitimate to unlock them, so see if that app will work. No guarantees, though!

Thank you Steve. I did use the link and downloaded the old app you provided link for, but it did not work after following instructions. It gave me a message about Root Access Denied, Please check your ROM is rooted. .. Does this mean I would have to root my phone?
14th June 2015, 11:07 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 2,475

More
Probably, but it isn't a big deal if you decide to do it. In every sense rooting is actually beneficial, as it gives the user compete control over their devices and what's installed. You can root and never install a custom ROM, so the only thing that would be detrimental would be if you had to return it for a warranty issue (of which there is a way to unroot/return to stock). But because these devices are out of warranty due to age, there's no reason not to root.

So my advice would be to download Framaroot from my previous post and use the Aragorn exploit, then reboot and run the Sim Unlock. That should work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteveMurphy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread