Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

NoSpamDan

Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2012
candyroms.org
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 7T

SlimRoms is a custom android operating system. The main goal is to offer users a slimmed down but still feature rich alternative to other android operating systems.
The entire SlimTeam work together to bring you this tailor-made beauty straight from Android Open Source Project (AOSP) source code.
All of the sources can be publicly viewed through GitHub and you can stop by the public Gerrit to submit patches of any type.

SlimKat is the project name for SlimRoms based on Android 4.4 and offers the following original features:
  • The Real Dark Slim
    • Full system-wide dark interfaces. - If you like it smooth and classy.
  • Custom Shortcuts. Everywhere.
    • Hardware keys, Navigation Ring, Navigation Bar, Lockscreen, Tiles, Notifications etc. - We've got you covered.
  • System-Wide Keyboard Controls
    • Rotation, cursor control, optional emoticions, etc. - You'll be tapping away to your heart's content.
  • SlimCenter
    • Downloads, contact information, system app removal. - More fun than you can shake a stick at.
  • Camera Features
    • Trueview, Smart Capture. - Capture life moments with ease.

Important links:

slimroms.net - The official webpage where you will find everything you need to know about SlimRoms.

Slim Downloads - Download the ROM, GApps and other Addons.

Installation instructions - Follow these steps to the letter if you're about to install SlimRoms on your device.

Latest Changelog - Read here if you want information on changes in latest build.

FAQ - The most frequently asked questions with answers.

Kernel Source - The source of your device's kernel.

See Post #2 for Known Issues and Installation Notes.

Get in touch! - Contact SlimRoms at these places if you have questions, requests or feedback.

Google+

Twitter

Facebook

Forum

Special thanks to (in no particular order):

The Slim Team
CyanogenMod
prbassplayer
wantowan2
kintwofan

Disclaimer: SlimRoms are not responsible for any damages to your device.

Last edited:

NoSpamDan

Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2012
candyroms.org
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 7T
I do not own the SGH-T989, but I do have 3 SGH-i727 Skyrockets, and the Hercules is almost identical. My time is limited, but due to several requests for this, I wanted to share. Please help each other out, and keep the thread friendly and informative.

Installation:
  1. Install a 4.4 compatible recovery, and reboot to recovery afterwards.
  2. Format /system, /data and /dalvik cache.
  3. Flash a compatible radio (see below).
  4. Flash the ROM.
  5. Flash GApps.
  6. Reboot and enjoy!

Known Issues:

• Power-off charging animation not working.
  • You tell me...

Reporting Issues:

Do NOT report issues here if you're running a non-stock kernel, Xposed and/or modules, or any other non-stock mods.

For bug reporting (stock Slim ROM/kernel/GApps only), please use the Slim Bugreport tool, accessible through Settings > SlimCenter > Bugreport to produce a zip file in the phone's storage which you then can upload to the SlimROMs Hercules Subforum for review. Please see Reporting Bugs on the Slim web site for more information.

Any issues please explain with specific details, how to reproduce the problem, and provide a Slim Bug Report (preferred, in the ROM), or a logcat. Good feedback is ESSENTIAL. :)

Installation Notes:
  1. Radios: Make sure you are running a JellyBean radio or newer (T989: UVMC6 | T989D: TLMC4), and follow the installation instructions linked to in post #1. A thread for flashable radios is here.

2. Recovery: Recommended recovery: CWM or TWRP.

3. Superuser: The Slim Team has made it so the Superuser App is not enabled by default, requiring users to intentionally turn on Root access. To enable it, navigate to Settings > Developer Options > Root Access and choose Apps and ADB (even though it may appear selected). For this to work, you need to first go to Settings > About Phone and tap on Build Number several times to gain access to the Developer Options.

Also see here: http://slimroms.net/faq/slimbean/441-how-do-i-enable-root

4. Kernel: The kernel is based on the Moretz CM-11.0 kernel, but overclocking has been disabled to enhance stability. For sweep2wake, fast charge, and CPU freq/governor control features, I'd recommend [ROOT] Kernel Tweaker from the Play store.

5. Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi connection dropping issues? Check your region code in Settings > Wi-Fi > (menu key) > Advanced > Wi-Fi region code. It may be set to Europe by default, which uses a different set of Wi-Fi channels than the United States or Canada.

6. DPI: For information on changing the screen DPI, see here: How to change the screen density (DPI). Beware that some apps may not play nice with custom values, although normally the Slim GApps are modified to tell the Play Store and a couple of other apps that the phone's DPI is always 240. ;)

Enjoy!

Last edited:

ArtfulDodger

Apr 2, 2012
Louisville
www.youtube.com
Initial Impressions

OK after a few hours of testing, here is what I found:

First of all, the instruction to not change the governor on the stock kernel apparently applies to Wild! V6 as well. After installation, boot was just fine. Thinking I could change the governor because this was a custom kernel, I changed the governor to Intellidemand. No problem then either, but after a reboot the phone boot looped. Re-installing the kernel fixed that, but then it happened again. Also the wi-fi setting was not saving my password either. So after getting the phone to boot up (had to install the kernel once more), I set the governor to Interactive. No more boot loops after three reboots. So that was taken care of.

The other issues I encountered were extremely slow charging (only 1% charge in about a 45 minute time frame) and Google Now FCd every time I tried to open it (even after I wiped data & cache). Upon those problems I had to restore my nandroid for now. I do also want to mention some positives. The ROM really does fly, and with Slim mini gapps over 200mb of free ROM space is available so the ROM lives up to its name of "less is more". Video recording was perfect and without any delay. I have been out of the loop for a bit on changelogs, but for those who don't know the new theme engine is still not included in this ROM as of yet. The real dark Slim does work though.

Bottom line this is not yet ready for a DD IMHO, but with tweaking, could be the fastest ROM we have available. I really was almost willing to deal with the bugs because I was so impressed with the speed. The screen wake lag that plagues all the other ROMs did not happen for me here. Thanks again @NoSpamDan, I'll be happy to try future builds as well.

NoSpamDan

Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2012
candyroms.org
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 7T
OK after a few hours of testing, here is what I found:

First of all, the instruction to not change the governor on the stock kernel apparently applies to Wild! V6 as well. After installation, boot was just fine. Thinking I could change the governor because this was a custom kernel, I changed the governor to Intellidemand. No problem then either, but after a reboot the phone boot looped. Re-installing the kernel fixed that, but then it happened again. Also the wi-fi setting was not saving my password either. So after getting the phone to boot up (had to install the kernel once more), I set the governor to Interactive. No more boot loops after three reboots. So that was taken care of.

The other issues I encountered were extremely slow charging (only 1% charge in about a 45 minute time frame) and Google Now FCd every time I tried to open it (even after I wiped data & cache). Upon those problems I had to restore my nandroid for now. I do also want to mention some positives. The ROM really does fly, and with Slim mini gapps over 200mb of free ROM space is available so the ROM lives up to its name of "less is more". Video recording was perfect and without any delay. I have been out of the loop for a bit on changelogs, but for those who don't know the new theme engine is still not included in this ROM as of yet. The real dark Slim does work though.

Bottom line this is not yet ready for a DD IMHO, but with tweaking, could be the fastest ROM we have available. I really was almost willing to deal with the bugs because I was so impressed with the speed. The screen wake lag that plagues all the other ROMs did not happen for me here. Thanks again @NoSpamDan, I'll be happy to try future builds as well.

Thanks, I appreciate the testing and feedback!

Let me first say that details are everything, especially when I don't have a test phone available...

I am looking for bugs that exist in the as-built ROM, and therefore I am unable to provide any support for 3rd party kernels... This could have caused most of the issues you experienced.

Was there a problem with the stock CM-11.0 kernel bundled into the ROM, aside from the known governor switching issue? If so, the built-in Slim Bug Report tool (Settings > SlimCenter > Bugreport) will produce a zip file you can upload here for the time being for review. Please see Reporting Bugs on the Slim web site for more information.

For random reboots (RR's), you can also try using Bootlog Uptime to automatically dump /proc/last_kmsg for you to review/upload.

The Google Now issue shouldn't have anything to do with the ROM itself, that is in GApps. And if you were using the mini-gapps package, did you install Google Search separately? According to the TRDS GApps thread, it's not included in the mini package, and you could have been missing some key library files from the GApps package. :confused:

What version of KK4.4 GApps did you install? You said mini, but was it v155, v157, v160?

For now, I would recommend using the beta GApps with Unofficial builds until an Official ROM version is released. Please bear in mind that @dankoman has been producing new beta TRDS GApps versions quite often. His discussion thread is here.

What I really need are bug reports and logs using only the stock Slim ROM/kernel/GApps... Unfortunately, without these, I won't be able to provide effective support to try and make this ROM better, much less try to get the Hercules officially supported on the Slim site. :(

Thanks again!

ArtfulDodger

Apr 2, 2012
Louisville
www.youtube.com
Thanks, I appreciate the testing and feedback!

Let me first say that details are everything, especially when I don't have a test phone available...

I am looking for bugs that exist in the as-built ROM, and therefore I am unable to provide any support for 3rd party kernels... This could have caused most of the issues you experienced.

Was there a problem with the stock CM-11.0 kernel bundled into the ROM, aside from the known governor switching issue? If so, the built-in Slim Bug Report tool (Settings > SlimCenter > Bugreport) will produce a zip file you can upload here for the time being for review. Please see Reporting Bugs on the Slim web site for more information.

For random reboots (RR's), you can also try using Bootlog Uptime to automatically dump /proc/last_kmsg for you to review/upload.

The Google Now issue shouldn't have anything to do with the ROM itself, that is in GApps. And if you were using the mini-gapps package, did you install Google Search separately? According to the TRDS GApps thread, it's not included in the mini package, and you could have been missing some key library files from the GApps package. :confused:

What version of KK4.4 GApps did you install? You said mini, but was it v155, v157, v160?

For now, I would recommend using the beta GApps with Unofficial builds until an Official ROM version is released. Please bear in mind that @dankoman has been producing new beta TRDS GApps versions quite often. His discussion thread is here.

What I really need are bug reports and logs using only the stock Slim ROM/kernel/GApps... Unfortunately, without these, I won't be able to provide effective support to try and make this ROM better, much less try to get the Hercules officially supported on the Slim site. :(

Thanks again!
Yeah I was afraid you might bring the logs up, and rightfully so. Reason that I did not use the built in kernel is that I have NEVER had good experiences with stock kernels from CM. Plus with the limited governor availability, I was hoping Wild! would eliminate that problem. I was also unaware of Bootlog Uptime or I would have used it to help with this situation.

On Gapps, I used these from the Slim ROMs web site: http://slimroms.net/index.php/downloads/dlsearch/viewdownload/1150-addons4-4/12060-slim-mini-gapps-4-4-4-build-6-112
Google Now wasn't included so I restored it via Titanium Backup. After the FCs, I wiped the data. Still no luck. I tried to uninstall it but when I checked settings/apps, it was still showing as installed. I should have just fresh installed it from Play or better yet, used the Banks Gapps I already had. At any rate, I know I could have fixed that problem if I had tried other things.

Any idea what might have caused the slow charging? I've had that happen on official CM as well.

NoSpamDan

Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2012
candyroms.org
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 7T
On Gapps, I used these from the Slim ROMs web site: http://slimroms.net/index.php/downloads/dlsearch/viewdownload/1150-addons4-4/12060-slim-mini-gapps-4-4-4-build-6-112
Google Now wasn't included so I restored it via Titanium Backup.
Yeah, those GApps are pretty outdated, but should still work. TiBu on the other hand, can be pure evil sometimes... ;)

After the FCs, I wiped the data. Still no luck. I tried to uninstall it but when I checked settings/apps, it was still showing as installed. I should have just fresh installed it from Play or better yet, used the Banks Gapps I already had. At any rate, I know I could have fixed that problem if I had tried other things.
OK. Now (Quicksearchbox.apk) is a System App, so yeah, I can see trouble with it if restored.

Any idea what might have caused the slow charging? I've had that happen on official CM as well.
Not off-hand. I take it you've tried different chargers/cables...? There's an app on XDA here called Skyrocket Charger Test that, while it's labeled 'Skyrocket', based on what it queries for information, might work on the Herc to check the charging rate and type. I believe it also works on the Note 1 SGH-i717... Worth a shot to test chargers and cables for issues. It's saved me many times. ;)

ArtfulDodger

Apr 2, 2012
Louisville
www.youtube.com
Yeah, those GApps are pretty outdated, but should still work. TiBu on the other hand, can be pure evil sometimes... ;)

OK. Now (Quicksearchbox.apk) is a System App, so yeah, I can see trouble with it if restored.

Not off-hand. I take it you've tried different chargers/cables...? There's an app on XDA here called Skyrocket Charger Test that, while it's labeled 'Skyrocket', based on what it queries for information, might work on the Herc to check the charging rate and type. I believe it also works on the Note 1 SGH-i717... Worth a shot to test chargers and cables for issues. It's saved me many times. ;)
Well thing is, on other ROMs like PA or Beanstalk 4.4 builds I get about 40% an hour charge. I use two different chargers at home & work, both Samsung with no issues. The slow charging issue is one I've only encountered with official CM (especially 4.4 nightlies), an old Beanstalk 4.3 ROM and unofficial Carbon 4.2 build back from last fall.

On TB it really is both a blessing and a curse sometimes!

Reactions: NoSpamDan

smokenbiskits

Apr 29, 2011
Philadelphia
Only issue is found is SD card usage. I don't have external SD card btw

uploadfromtaptalk1405714025523.jpg

NoSpamDan

Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2012
candyroms.org
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 7T
Only issue is found is SD card usage. I don't have external SD card btw

View attachment 2858649

Thanks for the report.

I take it you did wipe /data or perform a factory reset upon installation? This will not wipe your internal SD card (music/photos/etc)...

Sometimes just a dalvik and cache wipe from recovery fixes this. A log/bugreport might help. Did you try clicking on that SDCard entry to see what app or process it says is running? Do you have Outlook installed or Exchange mail configured?

And I couldn't help but notice, are you running Juice Defender? FYI many have reported worse battery life on KitKat with that... I purchased the full version myself back when I switched from GB to ICS, but ended up ditching it when JB came along, and never looked back.

Everyone's usage/situation is different... :)

Reactions: smokenbiskits

smokenbiskits

Apr 29, 2011
Philadelphia
Thanks for the report.

I take it you did wipe /data or perform a factory reset upon installation? This will not wipe your internal SD card (music/photos/etc)...

Sometimes just a dalvik and cache wipe from recovery fixes this. A log/bugreport might help. Did you try clicking on that SDCard entry to see what app or process it says is running? Do you have Outlook installed or Exchange mail configured?

And I couldn't help but notice, are you running Juice Defender? FYI many have reported worse battery life on KitKat with that... I purchased the full version myself back when I switched from GB to ICS, but ended up ditching it when JB came along, and never looked back.

Everyone's usage/situation is different... :)

Yes to wipe everything except internal SD.

I will try a dalvik/cache wipe/battery stats and see if it helps.

Don't have either of those email clients installed.

Clicking on SD card entry in battery just shows cpu uptime for SD Card, not specific process.

I'll remove juice defender after the wipes above work/don't work, don't want too many variables changing while trying to troubleshoot. :angel:

Reactions: NoSpamDan

NoSpamDan

Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2012
candyroms.org
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 7T
Oh, I just saw "battery stats"... and wiping those has no effect in Android 4.4. Google debunked that some time ago. ;) See here. Recharging the device will reset the battery usage stats in Settings > Battery.

I used to wipe the battery stats myself, and I honestly didn't know there were still recoveries that still had that built in (TWRP maybe) since I've been on PhilZ Touch CWM recovery myself for a long time. No Fix Permissions either, wouldn't you know (not a bad thing, actually)...

I sure did like my placebo effect, though. I still miss it, lol.

Reactions: ArtfulDodger

HipHopAnonymous3

Dec 29, 2012
First, thanks for helping us all out and working on bringing us this ROM. Tried it out today and was impressed by how fast it booted and its responsiveness. Flashed through TWRP 2.7.1.0 along with newest beta slim mini gapps. Full wipe/clean install. A few things I noticed:
1) Native superuser doesn't function. Tried going into settings>advanced options>superuser and auto-allowing apps permissions...no go. Unable to create logcat/bugreport for this issue as they both require root. Fixed by flashing Chainfires SuperSU zip through TWRP
2) Battery charge speed seemed normal here
3) I live in US and wifi region code was set to Europe after install.
4) In your OP you mention radios not related to our model. The newest radio for T989 is T989UVMC6
5) Something not specific to your ROM, but with all recent ROMs (CM related?) stock messaging app no longer turns data on to send/receive MMS messages. Again, nothing on your end, just felt the need to bring attention to it.

Thanks again for your work

NoSpamDan

Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2012
candyroms.org
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 7T
First, thanks for helping us all out and working on bringing us this ROM. Tried it out today and was impressed by how fast it booted and its responsiveness. Flashed through TWRP 2.7.1.0 along with newest beta slim mini gapps. Full wipe/clean install. A few things I noticed:
1) Native superuser doesn't function. Tried going into settings>advanced options>superuser and auto-allowing apps permissions...no go. Unable to create logcat/bugreport for this issue as they both require root. Fixed by flashing Chainfires SuperSU zip through TWRP
2) Battery charge speed seemed normal here
3) I live in US and wifi region code was set to Europe after install.
4) In your OP you mention radios not related to our model. The newest radio for T989 is T989UVMC6
5) Something not specific to your ROM, but with all recent ROMs (CM related?) stock messaging app no longer turns data on to send/receive MMS messages. Again, nothing on your end, just felt the need to bring attention to it.

Thanks again for your work

Thank you much for the feedback.

1) You have to enable Superuser through Developer options. See installation notes in post #2, with a link to Slim's FAQ on it. :)

2) Good!

3) I've seen this before, and will look into it, although as you said, if you drill into the Wifi > Advanced > Region code settings, you can change it to whatever. So, low priority.

4) I'll look at the assert script for the radio version. Can you link the radio thread please?

5) I haven't heard of this. I don't believe it affects the Skyrocket...? Does this happen on the recommended radios?

I have a new build compiling with a "stock-ish" version of the Moretz kernel (no over clock/undervolting).

It has sweep2wake, fast charge, more governors, and reportedly better Bluetooth support (with SR users).

I'll post it for testing when it's ready for those interested...

I don't have any volunteers for testing (yet). ;). If you want to volunteer, you should be able and willing to clean flash at times 3-4 builds in a day, be able to capture logs and send them. Normal testing would be occasional builds, unless there was a major issue.

Looking for 3 or so testers to help possibly get this into the Slim weekly cycle.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: fdavila17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

SlimRoms is a custom android operating system. The main goal is to offer users a slimmed down but still feature rich alternative to other android operating systems.
    The entire SlimTeam work together to bring you this tailor-made beauty straight from Android Open Source Project (AOSP) source code.
    All of the sources can be publicly viewed through GitHub and you can stop by the public Gerrit to submit patches of any type.

SlimKat is the project name for SlimRoms based on Android 4.4 and offers the following original features:
    • The Real Dark Slim
      • Full system-wide dark interfaces. - If you like it smooth and classy.
    • Custom Shortcuts. Everywhere.
      • Hardware keys, Navigation Ring, Navigation Bar, Lockscreen, Tiles, Notifications etc. - We've got you covered.
    • System-Wide Keyboard Controls
      • Rotation, cursor control, optional emoticions, etc. - You'll be tapping away to your heart's content.
    • SlimCenter
      • Downloads, contact information, system app removal. - More fun than you can shake a stick at.
    • Camera Features
      • Trueview, Smart Capture. - Capture life moments with ease.

Important links:

slimroms.net - The official webpage where you will find everything you need to know about SlimRoms.

Slim Downloads - Download the ROM, GApps and other Addons.

Installation instructions - Follow these steps to the letter if you're about to install SlimRoms on your device.

Latest Changelog - Read here if you want information on changes in latest build.

FAQ - The most frequently asked questions with answers.

Kernel Source - The source of your device's kernel.

See Post #2 for Known Issues and Installation Notes.

Get in touch! - Contact SlimRoms at these places if you have questions, requests or feedback.

Google+

Twitter

Facebook

Forum

Special thanks to (in no particular order):

The Slim Team
    CyanogenMod
    prbassplayer
    wantowan2
    kintwofan

Disclaimer: SlimRoms are not responsible for any damages to your device.
    I do not own the SGH-T989, but I do have 3 SGH-i727 Skyrockets, and the Hercules is almost identical. My time is limited, but due to several requests for this, I wanted to share. Please help each other out, and keep the thread friendly and informative.

Installation:
    1. Install a 4.4 compatible recovery, and reboot to recovery afterwards.
    2. Format /system, /data and /dalvik cache.
    3. Flash a compatible radio (see below).
    4. Flash the ROM.
    5. Flash GApps.
    6. Reboot and enjoy!

Known Issues:

• Power-off charging animation not working.
    • You tell me...

Reporting Issues:

Do NOT report issues here if you're running a non-stock kernel, Xposed and/or modules, or any other non-stock mods.

For bug reporting (stock Slim ROM/kernel/GApps only), please use the Slim Bugreport tool, accessible through Settings > SlimCenter > Bugreport to produce a zip file in the phone's storage which you then can upload to the SlimROMs Hercules Subforum for review. Please see Reporting Bugs on the Slim web site for more information.

Any issues please explain with specific details, how to reproduce the problem, and provide a Slim Bug Report (preferred, in the ROM), or a logcat. Good feedback is ESSENTIAL. :)

Installation Notes:
    1. Radios: Make sure you are running a JellyBean radio or newer (T989: UVMC6 | T989D: TLMC4), and follow the installation instructions linked to in post #1. A thread for flashable radios is here.

2. Recovery: Recommended recovery: CWM or TWRP.

3. Superuser: The Slim Team has made it so the Superuser App is not enabled by default, requiring users to intentionally turn on Root access. To enable it, navigate to Settings > Developer Options > Root Access and choose Apps and ADB (even though it may appear selected). For this to work, you need to first go to Settings > About Phone and tap on Build Number several times to gain access to the Developer Options.

Also see here: http://slimroms.net/faq/slimbean/441-how-do-i-enable-root

4. Kernel: The kernel is based on the Moretz CM-11.0 kernel, but overclocking has been disabled to enhance stability. For sweep2wake, fast charge, and CPU freq/governor control features, I'd recommend [ROOT] Kernel Tweaker from the Play store.

5. Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi connection dropping issues? Check your region code in Settings > Wi-Fi > (menu key) > Advanced > Wi-Fi region code. It may be set to Europe by default, which uses a different set of Wi-Fi channels than the United States or Canada.

6. DPI: For information on changing the screen DPI, see here: How to change the screen density (DPI). Beware that some apps may not play nice with custom values, although normally the Slim GApps are modified to tell the Play Store and a couple of other apps that the phone's DPI is always 240. ;)

Enjoy!
    Anyone like to test the stable 7 build for me before it's released? PM please...

I'm at the lake right now, with limited Internet access, so I'm not sure what I'll be able to do right now, but I'll try :)

Good to see the positive responses here...
    First SlimKat weekly is up...
    http://slimroms.net/index.php/downloads/dlsearch/viewcategory/615-hercules

Has the new per-app Heads Up, and more granular Quiet Hours settings. Many tweaks, improvements and enhancements...
    Glad to hear good reports, and I'm also glad to be able to provide this to the Herc community.

SlimKat also runs great on the Skyrocket, with comparable battery life under what I would call "normal" use. :good: