Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,714 Members 47,893 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW-TO] Proper method to flash a ROM

Tip us?

RushAOZ
Old
(Last edited by RushAOZ; 9th November 2012 at 07:15 PM.)
Account currently disabled - OP
Thanks Meter 432
Default [HOW-TO] Proper method to flash a ROM

First off if you're on ANY recovery that isn't CWM 5.0.2.7 you DO NOT NEED TDJS SUPER WIPE OR CACHE WIPE SCRIPTS!!!! Seriously stop flashing these people you're filling up threads with problems caused by both of these scripts and bad flashing methods. Here's how to PROPERLY flash a ROM..
If on CWM 6.0.x.x
1. Wipe factory data/reset
2. Wipe cache
3. Go into mounts and storage
4. Format /system
5. Format /data
6. Format /cache
7. Enter advanced
8. Wipe dalvik
9. Flash ROM then gapps
10. Reboot and let the ROM settle for 5-10 minutes if flashing TW ROMs, this step is unnecessary for AOSP based ROMs.
11. (Optional) if flashing a new radio flash AFTER the ROM has been initially booted for the first time. No wipes are necessary when flashing a new radio but it HAS to be flashed after the ROM is loaded and settled in. Flashing a radio first and then a ROM has caused issues like the phone not even recognizing there is a network for it. ( phone remains in emergency mode )

If you're on a Cyanogenmod nightly a full wipe IS NOT REQUIRED. The proper method of dirty flashing is just wiping cache, ( NOT FORMAT CACHE IN MOUNTS & STORAGE )
wiping dalvik and flashing your ROM. Simple as that.

If using TWRP 2.2+ the steps are essentially the same or use TDJs wipe scripts. They work perfectly fine with TWRP. Feel free to wipe 2x or even 3x if it makes you feel safer about your installation.

And THAT'S IT. People are cluttering up threads with issues than can totally be avoided by flashing the right way. I hope this helps some of you iron out these insane tiny quirks I keep reading about.

Happy flashing folks.

EDIT:
I forgot to note.. if you're still using one of TDJs roms or any other rom that automatically wipes with TDJs SUPER CACHE WIPE, do NOT use any other recoveries other than CWM 5.0.2.7 or TWRP 2.2+. With any other recovery such as CWM 6.0.x.x+, the wipe script breaks the roms ability to reboot properly and the only way to solve this is to use TDJs CACHE WIPE which in turn breaks your recoveries ability to work properly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda premium
The Following 47 Users Say Thank You to RushAOZ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

suaverc118
Old
(Last edited by suaverc118; 8th October 2012 at 09:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1,265
Thanks man this was needed. Yes threads get filled with this so often. I dirty flash like you mentioned accept I format system first. I also clean flash like you mentioned but never formatted cache and dalvik just system. That's good to know. Thanks
But I will add those new steps. I format system when dirty flashing because on the cm10 Site they mentioned that.
Again thanks

RushAOZ
Old
Thanks Meter 432
I edited OP with a little bit more information for safer flashing.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RushAOZ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

playya
Old
Thanks Meter 1,953

DONATE TO ME
Sad we need to keep telling people how to flash. If you are not sure what you are doing I think you should be very careful before you destroy your expensive toy. Everyone should have an idea on how to flash and restore from a bad flash before they even root. Also as my sig says let Google be your friend people if you run into issues instead of running to a thread and clogging it up...

Thanks for post and this is a bump to keep it on page 1 and hopefully more people will notice it.
DeBloat your AOKP/CM10 fast and pain free click here
---------------------------------------------------
"Hey if you can type it you can search it" - Google is your friend - Let me Google that for you
--------------------------------------------------
Proud owner of a 1+1 What you know bout dat life!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to playya For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Goofy317
Old
Thanks Meter 6
So I messed up and used the darkside scripts with 6.0.1.4 and I can't get my phone to boot, like you mentioned. It also destroyed the recovery, does nothing at all. What can I do, if anything, to fix?

RushAOZ
Old
Thanks Meter 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy317 View Post
So I messed up and used the darkside scripts with 6.0.1.4 and I can't get my phone to boot, like you mentioned. It also destroyed the recovery, does nothing at all. What can I do, if anything, to fix?
Can you boot into recovery at all? If you can.. download the TWRP 2.2.2.0 zip in its thread and flash it. Its going to hang in the install process but should say twrp has been installed. At that point reset your phone by holding the power button. As soon as you feel the phone vibrate hold down both volume buttons and you should boot into TWRP recovery.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RushAOZ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tickerman
Old
Thanks Meter 88
I have been using the darkside wipe! It has been working great. I don't think that it will brick my phone or anything.....

RushAOZ
Old
Thanks Meter 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerman View Post
I have been using the darkside wipe! It has been working great. I don't think that it will brick my phone or anything.....
Darkside superwipe will only mess your ROMs ability to reboot on touchwiz ROMs. The only way to fix this is flashing the darkside cache wipe which WILL break clockwork mod 6.0.1.4 like the user above. Point is.. don't use either scripts at all on CWM. Wipe the old fashioned way.

fe1ixs
Old
(Last edited by fe1ixs; 13th October 2012 at 04:04 AM.)
Thanks Meter 143

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerman View Post
I agree. even after switching to twrp I still find the script useful. But op warning about using script with cwm version 6xxx might be true. I have issue with boot when i was on cwm 6 and i had to Odin cwm 5.0.2.7 again to get into recovery menu.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app
Phone : Samsung Galaxy SIl SGH-T989 T-Mobile USA
ROM : CM10.0 Stable
Recovery: TWRP 2.5.0.0
Radio : T989UVMC6
Kernel : ASDK Final for 4.1.2
Audio : ACID7, Walkman Pack, Viper4Android FX, Viper4Android XHIFI

ultratt
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks, always forgot the formatting steps