Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,105 Members 44,801 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] KitKat 4.4.2 External SD Card issue

Tip us?

Brando81
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] KitKat 4.4.2 External SD Card issue

Hey everyone,

I am having issues with my external SD card, which apparently is a design part of KitKat. I have read of some fixes for other devices, but before I try any of those, do you know if they will work on the T989? If so, what fix do you recommend? Thanks in advance!

bmg002
Old
Thanks Meter 192
I am having no problems running HellKat which is a 4.4.2 ROM if I remember correctly. External storage seems to function fine on my device.
What issues are you having? The only issue I had was that the phone didn't allow for Mass Storage anymore and needed to use MTP/PTP. I did up a quick and dirty shell script to get around this though and I'm more than happy with the results.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Three hams will fill him, three hams will thrill him, Why don't you feed him, three hams!
- Thundercleese (in Brak's head)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brando81
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg002 View Post
I am having no problems running HellKat which is a 4.4.2 ROM if I remember correctly. External storage seems to function fine on my device.
What issues are you having? The only issue I had was that the phone didn't allow for Mass Storage anymore and needed to use MTP/PTP. I did up a quick and dirty shell script to get around this though and I'm more than happy with the results.
I am running this ROM:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2521015

I've been happy with it for quite a while, but maybe it wasn't using my external SD when I thought it was. My external has 12.29GB avail, but my internal is full. Everything tries to download to the internal, and I get a message that download failed for no space. I was reading some on it, and it seems like KitKat doesn't really support external SD. (Unless I've interpretted things wrong, which I guess is a possibility.) I found a few workarounds online, but I haven't heard of the devs before, and I couldn't find much on XDA, so just thought I'd post it here for the experts.

Thanks!

bmg002
Old
Thanks Meter 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando81 View Post
I am running this ROM:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2521015

I've been happy with it for quite a while, but maybe it wasn't using my external SD when I thought it was. My external has 12.29GB avail, but my internal is full. Everything tries to download to the internal, and I get a message that download failed for no space. I was reading some on it, and it seems like KitKat doesn't really support external SD. (Unless I've interpretted things wrong, which I guess is a possibility.) I found a few workarounds online, but I haven't heard of the devs before, and I couldn't find much on XDA, so just thought I'd post it here for the experts.

Thanks!
Sounds like normal issues...look into app2sd or similar apps. And check your app default download locations. I know most default to internal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using XDA Free mobile app
Three hams will fill him, three hams will thrill him, Why don't you feed him, three hams!
- Thundercleese (in Brak's head)
Tags
external sd, kitkat, microsd