FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

[Q&A] [Mod][Guide] Re-Partition Internal Memory For T-989! (Confirmed Working)

n/a posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By QA Bot, Guest on 31st March 2015, 09:58 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Q&A for [Mod][Guide] Re-Partition Internal Memory For T-989! (Confirmed Working)

Some developers prefer that questions remain separate from their main development thread to help keep things organized. Placing your question within this thread will increase its chances of being answered by a member of the community or by the developer.

Before posting, please use the forum search and read through the discussion thread for [Mod][Guide] Re-Partition Internal Memory For T-989! (Confirmed Working). If you can't find an answer, post it here, being sure to give as much information as possible (firmware version, steps to reproduce, logcat if available) so that you can get help.

Thanks for understanding and for helping to keep XDA neat and tidy!

7th April 2015, 12:50 PM |#2  

More
Works great!
I just wanted to report back saying that the pit file provided in the original post works great! For any interested in my setup/procedure, it was:

1) Flash the provided pit file using Odin 3.09

I wanted to switch to a Lollipop ROM, and another person in the main thread had good results with Validus, so I used that. Validus supports and recommends the F2FS filesystem, which requires a different recovery to install. So I followed the instructions found on the XDA Thread and the Google+ page for Validus install instructions.

2) Flash Chet's recovery

Chet's recovery, as downloaded from the above link, can be flashed from inside your current recovery. At least, I could from flash it from inside TWRP 2.7.1.0. Flashed it, rebooted back into recovery, and it loaded up the new one, nice as you please.

3) Format data, cache, and internal sdcard as F2FS. TWRP also gave me an error about preload, so I formatted that as ext4.

If you switch to a different ROM in the future, you'll have to remember to check if the new ROM supports F2FS. If it doesn't, you'll need to reformat those partitions to EXT4, or another filesystem the new ROM does support.

4) Flash Validus

5) Flash Gapps

Validus recommends the Paranoid Android Gapps, but the XDA threads have been closed. You can find the appropriate Gapps packages with a Google search; my search led me here. Since the /data partition is now so large, I don't have to try and squeeze apps into the /system partition just to save space, I can install them normally. Thus, I installed the pico gapps, and just installed the other apps via the market. I recommend you do the same.

The result is a dark themed lollipop ROM that already seems pretty stable. I've been using it for less than a day, but I've noticed very few stability problems or other hitches. My thanks to Lorien_Silmaril and chris4284!
9th April 2015, 08:01 PM |#3  

More
How to change Recovery in semi-bricked phone?
Hello, Noob here and was trying to re-partition my T989 T-Mobile S2 memory. It would appear I need to properly reformat the partitions however the recovery I am using does not support the more advanced "wipe" options the "Re-Partition Internal Memory For T-989! (Confirmed Working)" thread discusses.

As this phone will not boot into Android anymore but I can get into the recovery mode, how would I put something like TWRP onto my phone? It would appear that I can only do it through ODIN if the recovery file is a .tar file rather than a .zip file. So are the various TWRP recovery files available anywhere as .tar files? And if not, then what is my other option (as I can not get the phone to show up as a USB drive to load in the .zip versions)?

Thank you,
P.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT
Yes, I am an idiot. After posting realized that I could put the zip files onto a SD card and then use the recovery file currently on my phone to install the zip off the SD card.
Last edited by PakkyT; 9th April 2015 at 09:45 PM.
21st April 2015, 08:34 PM |#4  

More
Confirming Pit file sizes
I never did get to work correctly but I might give it another go. One thing I noticed was after un-zipping the two ZIP files in the main thread (the stock PIT and the 8GB partitioned one), the 8GB PIT file was only 4k while the back to stock one is 500k. Makes me wonder if the modified one being only 4k means I got a bad file/download? Can anyone who has successfully installed the Modified_8GB pit verify that it is indeed only 4k in size?

Thank you,
P.
12th May 2015, 09:59 PM |#5  
Flag Las Piedras
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Can i flash this on the AT&T variant and if so how do i repartion ?
13th May 2015, 10:31 PM |#6  

More
Everything seems work,but only problem is my laptop does not recognize my phone anymore. I installed driver and the phone is on debug mode. I tried different cables and laptops. Still does not work, at least Odin recognizes it.
15th May 2015, 03:06 PM |#7  
Flag Las Piedras
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick2015

Everything seems work,but only problem is my laptop does not recognize my phone anymore. I installed driver and the phone is on debug mode. I tried different cables and laptops. Still does not work, at least Odin recognizes it.

Try to reinstall the usb drivers and disable debug
Tried it on a at&t variant and works fine and connects to pc aswell
21st May 2015, 08:55 PM |#8  

More
Which partitions do I have to reformat
Great guide!... Please, I need help. I got confused at the moment I have to format the partitions. Which partitions do I have to reformat after the process? I see "dalvik cache, data, system, cache, internal sd card, android secure, micro sd card, and preload"... Do I have to reformat all of them? or just "data, and internal sd card"?.... do i have to reformat with file system "ext4" or with another one?

BTW, do you know what are the default file system for the partitions?... in case I do something wrong, this might help me to factory reset my t989...

Sorry, my english it's not that good, i know.

Please help me.
Last edited by mike.weiss503; 21st May 2015 at 08:57 PM.
12th June 2015, 12:48 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
So I did this using your modified pit file, and it seems to have worked. I'm having a few issues now though. When I start google camera it tells me to mount an sd card first. I rebooted, unmounted and mounted the external sd card, and cleared data/cache. Nothing works. I also can't create a folder on the internal SD.

edit: I fixed it by formatting the internal SD to FAT. Now to look into increasing the /system partition size
Last edited by Malth; 13th June 2015 at 05:19 AM.
13th June 2015, 05:23 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.weiss503

Great guide!... Please, I need help. I got confused at the moment I have to format the partitions. Which partitions do I have to reformat after the process? I see "dalvik cache, data, system, cache, internal sd card, android secure, micro sd card, and preload"... Do I have to reformat all of them? or just "data, and internal sd card"?.... do i have to reformat with file system "ext4" or with another one?

BTW, do you know what are the default file system for the partitions?... in case I do something wrong, this might help me to factory reset my t989...

Sorry, my english it's not that good, i know.

Please help me.

It won't let you do davlik. I was a bit confused by this, too, so I hope the OP clarifies. For me, formatting system, preload, cache, and data to ext4, and internal sd to FAT seems to work. I didn't touch micro sd.
15th July 2015, 03:33 AM |#11  
Flag Montréal

More
Keep it simple!
Hi,

This is my very first post on this forum and what brought me to this thread was a Google search on increasing memory on my Galaxy SII.

My Galaxy SII is an SGH-T989D that can't get any app updated for a while because of insufficient memory. Put simple, all I want to do is re-partition so I can get more "/data" memory. I don't want to install any fancy ROM or root or anything else, anyway I don't have a clue of what that means lol! So I'm not expecting having any trouble following the instructions or getting the PIT file as really I'm good with computers and that kind of stuff, but here come the newbie questions:

- Do I have to perfrom any kind of backup of my device before performing the re-partition steps? If yes, then how do I do this? And once done, how do I restore the backup back into the re-partitioned device?
- If there is no need to perform a backup, does that mean that once the re-partitioning and wipe and reformatting is done, all I have to do is reboot in normal mode again and everything should be fine and as before? If not, then what steps are missing to get my device as it was before re-partitioning (with the exception that now the partitions are different sizes, of course)?
- The last step states: "After you have done the above steps, you can then proceed with ROM installation or recovery. " What does that mean and what should I do then?

Please advise... Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Pat

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
auto-qa
Previous Thread Next Thread