Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,597 Members 51,372 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

T989 out of USA issues: good signal but no network access

Tip us?

ar_156
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default T989 out of USA issues: good signal but no network access

I have this T989 unlocked and beeing used with local SIM in Central America, maybe the modem/radio is not full compatible with the local network because in a Building I can get 3 or 4 signal bars but when I send a SMS I get "SMS not send" message, and get "No Network Service" when trying a voice call, why is there 3-4 signal bars without Network Available? Phone come back to normal when I go to an open field. Maybe the T989 Modem/Radio is not as full compatibleas I9100 (international model) modem/Radio? May I flash I9100 Modem/Radio into T989?

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,529
First, if you flash that radio you could brick. Do not flash anything not made for your device.

If you're on Jelly Bean, or a higher custom rom version, only the latest T-Mobile or Telus radios will work. Nothing else.

Is likely that your apn settings are wrong or missing. You'll have to Google what your carrier apn settings are and check in mobile network settings.

Also, if your carrier bands aren't supported by the t989, there's nothing you can do... It won't work.

View my profile, I dare you. 👍

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

And seeing "bars" is normal.... I have no Sim in mine and get bars.

Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life? Any device welcome, even tho its an N5 thread. Please specify if on a device other than N5. Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

jrc2
Old
Thanks Meter 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
First, if you flash that radio you could brick. Do not flash anything not made for your device.

If you're on Jelly Bean, or a higher custom rom version, only the latest T-Mobile or Telus radios will work. Nothing else.

Is likely that your apn settings are wrong or missing. You'll have to Google what your carrier apn settings are and check in mobile network settings.

Also, if your carrier bands aren't supported by the t989, there's nothing you can do... It won't work.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

And seeing "bars" is normal.... I have no Sim in mine and get bars.

Yep, I have no sim and see those " signal bars" all the time. I believe T-Mobile told me it was for 911 signal or something.

Sent from my SGH-T989
My Website (contains just my downloads for now)

My Phone: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989
My Tablets: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3113; HP Slate 7 2800

If I helped you, (or if I didnít and you are feeling thankful) please press the THANKS button!

If you would like to donate to me, please send me a PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ar_156
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
OK, T989 will only work with modem for T989.

Thank you both!
The Following User Says Thank You to ar_156 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]