Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,408 Members 53,392 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Calibrating a new battery?

Tip us?

duraaraa
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Calibrating a new battery?

I bought a new battery today, a Chinese knock-off battery which claims to have a capacity over 2000. I live in Mongolia, so that's basically my only option if I want a replacement battery, since there's basically no postal system here.

When I first put in the battery, it showed a 59% charge. After a few minutes and maybe a reboot, it showed a 20% charge. It consistently drained down to zero, and I'm charging it now.

I've experienced really strange battery drain with the former battery (also a Chinese knock-off) where it loses maybe 10 percent an hour on idle, so I figured the battery needs to be replaced. Is there anything I can do to calibrate it? I have a feeling that the charge is actually more than is being shown, but no way to confirm my suspicions. Am I right just to try to charge it to 100% and discharge it to 0% until the battery life gets better, or is there something else to do? I should mention I've tried resetting the battery stats in CWM with no real effect.

Thanks from Mongolia.

Nelinski
Old
(Last edited by Nelinski; 13th April 2012 at 11:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 19
Go into recovery when battery is at 100% and go to advanced then clear battery stats or download battery config for rooted devices and clear battery stats that way.
Nexus 5: Rooted Stock 4.4.3

Joey2o11
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelinski View Post
Go into recovery when battery is at 100% and go to advanced then clear battery stats or download battery config for rooted devices and clear battery stats that way.
Clearing battery stats achieves nothing other than deleting the stats on the what has been using battery power. Battery calibration isn't required on our phones.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joey2o11 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
dhruv.always Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by duraaraa View Post
I bought a new battery today, a Chinese knock-off battery which claims to have a capacity over 2000. I live in Mongolia, so that's basically my only option if I want a replacement battery, since there's basically no postal system here.

When I first put in the battery, it showed a 59% charge. After a few minutes and maybe a reboot, it showed a 20% charge. It consistently drained down to zero, and I'm charging it now.

I've experienced really strange battery drain with the former battery (also a Chinese knock-off) where it loses maybe 10 percent an hour on idle, so I figured the battery needs to be replaced. Is there anything I can do to calibrate it? I have a feeling that the charge is actually more than is being shown, but no way to confirm my suspicions. Am I right just to try to charge it to 100% and discharge it to 0% until the battery life gets better, or is there something else to do? I should mention I've tried resetting the battery stats in CWM with no real effect.

Thanks from Mongolia.
if you want to increase battery life for your new battery, charge it fully to 100% whenever you charge it will increase charge storing capacity of the battery

thefern2008
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by duraaraa View Post

Thanks from Mongolia.
See this post:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1312273

blade30p
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 350
Never, ever I repeat never let your battery drop below around 5%, and always charge it before it reaches zero. I use the Guage Battery widget v3 pro as it is very accurate, but you can also get the free version. You can & should use the free battery calibration tool from the Google play store, simply install it & charge the battery to 100% then run the calibration App. simples

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk