Nvidia and Robotics w/ Barrett Williams – XDA:DevCon 2014

Robotics continues to dominate our videos from this years XDA:DevCon 2014 in … more

Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Calibrating a new battery?

OP duraaraa

13th April 2012, 03:58 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, Los Angeles, USA, and Anjo, Japan
Thanks Meter: 4

40 posts
I bought a new battery today, a Chinese knock-off battery which claims to have a capacity over 2000. I live in Mongolia, so that's basically my only option if I want a replacement battery, since there's basically no postal system here.

When I first put in the battery, it showed a 59% charge. After a few minutes and maybe a reboot, it showed a 20% charge. It consistently drained down to zero, and I'm charging it now.

I've experienced really strange battery drain with the former battery (also a Chinese knock-off) where it loses maybe 10 percent an hour on idle, so I figured the battery needs to be replaced. Is there anything I can do to calibrate it? I have a feeling that the charge is actually more than is being shown, but no way to confirm my suspicions. Am I right just to try to charge it to 100% and discharge it to 0% until the battery life gets better, or is there something else to do? I should mention I've tried resetting the battery stats in CWM with no real effect.

Thanks from Mongolia.
13th April 2012, 08:55 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 20

125 posts
More
Go into recovery when battery is at 100% and go to advanced then clear battery stats or download battery config for rooted devices and clear battery stats that way.
Last edited by Nelinski; 14th April 2012 at 12:57 AM.
15th April 2012, 11:42 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 47

280 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelinski

Go into recovery when battery is at 100% and go to advanced then clear battery stats or download battery config for rooted devices and clear battery stats that way.

Clearing battery stats achieves nothing other than deleting the stats on the what has been using battery power. Battery calibration isn't required on our phones.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joey2o11 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
dhruv.always
16th April 2012, 05:54 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by duraaraa

I bought a new battery today, a Chinese knock-off battery which claims to have a capacity over 2000. I live in Mongolia, so that's basically my only option if I want a replacement battery, since there's basically no postal system here.

When I first put in the battery, it showed a 59% charge. After a few minutes and maybe a reboot, it showed a 20% charge. It consistently drained down to zero, and I'm charging it now.

I've experienced really strange battery drain with the former battery (also a Chinese knock-off) where it loses maybe 10 percent an hour on idle, so I figured the battery needs to be replaced. Is there anything I can do to calibrate it? I have a feeling that the charge is actually more than is being shown, but no way to confirm my suspicions. Am I right just to try to charge it to 100% and discharge it to 0% until the battery life gets better, or is there something else to do? I should mention I've tried resetting the battery stats in CWM with no real effect.

Thanks from Mongolia.

if you want to increase battery life for your new battery, charge it fully to 100% whenever you charge it will increase charge storing capacity of the battery
16th April 2012, 05:58 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1

19 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by duraaraa

Thanks from Mongolia.

See this post:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1312273
16th April 2012, 05:59 PM   |  #6  
Account currently disabled
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 350

1,865 posts
More
Never, ever I repeat never let your battery drop below around 5%, and always charge it before it reaches zero. I use the Guage Battery widget v3 pro as it is very accurate, but you can also get the free version. You can & should use the free battery calibration tool from the Google play store, simply install it & charge the battery to 100% then run the calibration App. simples

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread