Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,239 Members 50,318 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Car mount

Tip us?

Incarniac
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Default Car mount

So it's time to find a car mount for the SGS2.

For the HD2 I used an air vent mount (this). I don't like the windscreen suction mounts (just my preference, even though they tend to be more flexible in terms of positioning the device), and the positioning of the air vent mount is almost perfect in my car. The only thing that is a little annoying is that the fixed one obviously don't allow any turning at all, which can be annoying when it's sunny as I'd prefer to have the screen point more directly at me.

Therefore I'm looking for an air vent mount that has some sort of swivel included - basically something similar to this for, or perhaps something more generic like this or this.

Has anyone used any of these (or the windscreen suction mount equivalents) from either Ultimate Addons or Arkon? How well made and durable are they? How well do they hold their position?

Are there other ones I've missed that I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any input!

pennas
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I'm looking for the same thing, preferably specific to the S2 (much better to slip it into a custom holder, rather than placing it in a generic one then tighten the grips etc).

Something like this (no link allowed.. see gripmount on mobilefun) on the air vent would be great.

vinokirk
Old
Thanks Meter 169
I also like vent holders! I just buy a cheap generic one and modify it to fit my needs.
Obviously this involves taking apart my vent and drilling holes in the phone holder, put you get just the thing you need! Plus its also wayyyy more stable as you use cable ties to get it solidly in place.
The mounts that usually come with the vent holder are flimsy and usually end up falling off!
Current Devices:
Samsung GT-I9300 - Galaxy S3 | Samsung GT-N9005 - Note 3 - Knox 0x1 - X-Note 16.0
Previous Devices:
Samsung N7000 | Samsung I9100 | HTC Ace | Dell Mini 5 | HTC Leo | HTC Kovsky | HTC Universal | HTC Blue Angel
My Mobile History:

DJGibbon
Old
Thanks Meter 17
The gripmount on mobilefun looks great, but I can't see how it manages to fit the SGS2 both with and without a case! I'm using a silicone skin with mine and would rather have something that will work without me having to take it on and off. Is the mount slightly bendy so the phone just clips in? Anyone got any experience of these?

David Horn
Old
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 79
I've decided to just hold fire until the official Samsung mount comes out - it looks pretty good on their website and I can order the desktop dock at the same time. :)

DracoDrake
Old
(Last edited by DracoDrake; 12th May 2011 at 03:19 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Wink Breffo multi-fuctional Car-dock/Cradle

I saw this product last year and thought this might be interesting?! My apologies for not yet have those for review, didn't need it yet. But when i have a car this i would definitely buy.

The brand is Breffo and the product is Spiderpodium, there website is www.breffo.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	1572
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	593911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cnet3s.jpg
Views:	1595
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	593912   Click image for larger version

Name:	spcarnics.jpg
Views:	1694
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	593913  
Owned SmartPhones: HTC HD2 EU, Sony Ericsson X1. Future Phone: HTC EVO 3D/HTC HD3/ Samsung Galaxy S2/
I will someday design something for XDA, still a noobie for now.... F*CK HD2 STOLEN :@

Custom made Batt-cover >>>http://j.imagehost.org/view/0606/IMAG0043<<<
---------------------------------------------------------------
ROM: NRG Cookie - Sencity Radio: 2.15.50.14
.::Respecting NRGZ28, Co0kieMonster, Cotulla, Cyanogen and all devs i could name here::.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DracoDrake For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DJGibbon
Old
(Last edited by DJGibbon; 12th May 2011 at 03:47 PM.)
Thanks Meter 17
Interesting idea . . . on fleabay for 13 (item 200603319280)

Might pick one up and see how it works as a vent holder . . .

Edit: The reviews are great, so ordered a black one off ebay. There are white ones for just 8 on Amazon if you're not fussed about colour! Will return and let y'all know how well it works . . .

dan13l
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Spiderpodium looks superb, definitely getting one of those. One of the ebay sellers is only around the corner from me, so I've contacted to ask if I can collect. Will report back once I've got hold of one.
Phone: Nexus 5
Tab: iPad Air
Blog: Is There Food?
Twitter: Twitter

robbiekhan
Old
Thanks Meter 282
I've made my own:

AvRS
Old
Thanks Meter 2584
robbiekhan that looks awesome, good work. How much would you charge to make more had to ask lol

The Following User Says Thank You to AvRS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]