5,605,250 Members 38,575 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DIY] Matte Black Samsung Galaxy S2

Tip us?

aandrewalv
Old
Thanks Meter 13
anyone have pictures of black S2 with the chrome bezel scratched out?

gchris7
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aandrewalv View Post
anyone have pictures of black S2 with the chrome bezel scratched out?

I always disliked the grey bezel and the fingerprint magnet casing, so today i decided to scratch them off. Looks pretty good and feels like soft plastic when you touch it.

Tools used(scary stuff):
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gchris7 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vrwmiaris1
Old
Thanks Meter 125
Default Απ: [DIY] Matte Black Samsung Galaxy S2

This looks awesome m8! I'm in love with matte black

Στάλθηκε από το GT-I9100 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk 2
S2 powered by PA

fahadsul3man
Old
Thanks Meter 41
After using number 80 sand paper here is how my white s2 i9100 looks like .... i didnt do complete sandpaper rub and left some of the chrome paint , kinda looks sexy when its outside , oh and the chrome paint was of bad quality it started to chip just with my finger nails , :/ samsung's quality varies on each phone i guess

The Following User Says Thank You to fahadsul3man For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kt-Froggy
Old
(Last edited by kt-Froggy; 25th February 2013 at 02:43 AM.)
Thanks Meter 518
Default Re: [DIY] Matte Black Samsung Galaxy S2

P80 sandpaper?! Holy crap! It's like rubbing it with a brick! If I were to do something like that, I wouldn't use anything less than 220 or 240 (most probably, even 320)...

BTW, there are some problems with the matte finish done by sanding (i.e. scratching)... First, it looks uneven, no matter how good you are at doing it. May look great from afar, but up close it's not that impressive, and literally screams DIY... Another problem is that wet and especially oily fingers will leave spots on the surface, when those micro-scratches are filling with liquid (water is not a big problem, but oily residue can leave quite long lasting spots). Blech... Ugly.

There is another method for getting rid of a glossy finish on plastic cases, which gives more uniform look and feel, and more consistent results (after certain practice). It doesn't truly make a "matte" finish, but leaves a nice textured surface -- definitely better than a high gloss. My buddies and I used this method a lot (and I mean a LOT) back in our university years (late '80s) to finish ABS plastic casings for various DIY electronis which we were selling. So, for those of you with an itch to experiment, here is what you need:

1. A chemical called dichloroethane (C2H4Cl2). It's an industrial solvent, with a nasty smell kinda similar to chloroform, but stronger. It's very aggressive to plastics like ABS, celluloid and acrylic (plexiglas). I am not sure how easy it is to find nowadays, though (back in the old years in Russia it was not a problem )... As a replacement, you can use acetone (widely available in hardware stores, it works, but not as good, and requires more practice), or toluene (I never tried it myself, but it should work). Basically, you need an aggressive solvent that instantly dissolves an ABS plastic that the casing is made of.

2. A foam sponge. You might need to change it in the process, as it deteriorates quckly when soaked in solvent, and may ruin your work.

Before you begin, make sure to clean your surface from oil, dirt and other crap (alcohol wipes work great). Needless to say, you need to either disassemble your phone, or somehow protect areas that you do not want to touch -- I'll leave it up to you to think of the best way to do that.

OK, it's showtime now. Soak a foam in a solvent, making sure it's quite wet, but not dripping. Then start touching the surface in a very quick vertical motion (like tap-tap-tap), but do NOT drag the sponge across the surface -- just tap and lift immediately, tap and lift, tap and lift. Keep doing that, slowly going across all the surface you need to finish. This "buffing" will dissolve the surface layer of the plastic, and leave a uniform bumpy texture. Don't overdo it! Like I said, you may need to change your sponge as it starts falling apart from a solvent, so have extra pieces ready. Luckily, the phone casing is very small, so you can finish it quickly, with less chance of a screw-up. Once done, let the case sit for several hours (or better yet, overnight), so the surface nardens. The solvent evaporates very quickly, but it actually penetrates the plastic, which remains soft for quite some time. It you touch it before it hardens, especially with a hard object, you'll ruin it.

IMPORTANT! Before doing this on your phone, practice on some scrap glossy plastic -- you can probably find plenty of old electronics or toys with suitable cases to be your guinea pigs. At first, you may screw it up, but you'll get a hang of it very quickly -- just need to try it. The more you soak your sponge, the smoother your surface will be. Use less solvent, and you'll get more pronounced texture. But if your sponge is too dry, you will just end up with ugly blemishes. Just experiment and find out what works best for you -- it's much easier to do than to describe, trust me. We were able to finish fairly large cases like this (surfaces approx. 20x20 cm or even more) with very good results -- the final look was very nice and professional. This is not just a theory -- it's a tried and true method! Just practice first, and you won't be disappointed.
Optimus G F180S, tweaked E975 Stock 4.1.2
Xperia X10 Mini, rooted stock 2.1
MeMO Pad HD 7 ME173X, rooted stock 4.2.2

To whom it may concern: STOP nagging about pressing the freakin' Thanks button!!! It is rude, stupid, and annoys the hell out of people. I am not an idiot who needs a huge in-my-face reminder to press it, and I will press it when I feel thankful, not because you asked for it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kt-Froggy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

minidou-77
Old
Thanks Meter 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt-Froggy View Post
P80 sandpaper?! Holy crap! It's like rubbing it with a brick! If I were to do something like that, I wouldn't use anything less than 220 or 240 (most probably, even 320)...

BTW, there are some problems with the matte finish done by sanding (i.e. scratching)... First, it looks uneven, no matter how good you are at doing it. May look great from afar, but up close it's not that impressive, and literally screams DIY... Another problem is that wet and especially oily fingers will leave spots on the surface, when those micro-scratches are filling with liquid (water is not a big problem, but oily residue can leave quite long lasting spots). Blech... Ugly.

There is another method for getting rid of a glossy finish on plastic cases, which gives more uniform look and feel, and more consistent results (after certain practice). It doesn't truly make a "matte" finish, but leaves a nice textured surface -- definitely better than a high gloss. My buddies and I used this method a lot (and I mean a LOT) back in our university years (late '80s) to finish ABS plastic casings for various DIY electronis which we were selling. So, for those of you with an itch to experiment, here is what you need:

1. A chemical called dichloroethane (C2H4Cl2). It's an industrial solvent, with a nasty smell kinda similar to chloroform, but stronger. It's very aggressive to plastics like ABS, celluloid and acrylic (plexiglas). I am not sure how easy it is to find nowadays, though (back in the old years in Russia it was not a problem )... As a replacement, you can use acetone (widely available in hardware stores, it works, but not as good, and requires more practice), or toluene (I never tried it myself, but it should work). Basically, you need an aggressive solvent that instantly dissolves an ABS plastic that the casing is made of.

2. A foam sponge. You might need to change it in the process, as it deteriorates quckly when soaked in solvent, and may ruin your work.

Before you begin, make sure to clean your surface from oil, dirt and other crap (alcohol wipes work great). Needless to say, you need to either disassemble your phone, or somehow protect areas that you do not want to touch -- I'll leave it up to you to think of the best way to do that.

OK, it's showtime now. Soak a foam in a solvent, making sure it's quite wet, but not dripping. Then start touching the surface in a very quick vertical motion (like tap-tap-tap), but do NOT drag the sponge across the surface -- just tap and lift immediately, tap and lift, tap and lift. Keep doing that, slowly going across all the surface you need to finish. This "buffing" will dissolve the surface layer of the plastic, and leave a uniform bumpy texture. Don't overdo it! Like I said, you may need to change your sponge as it starts falling apart from a solvent, so have extra pieces ready. Luckily, the phone casing is very small, so you can finish it quickly, with less chance of a screw-up. Once done, let the case sit for several hours (or better yet, overnight), so the surface nardens. The solvent evaporates very quickly, but it actually penetrates the plastic, which remains soft for quite some time. It you touch it before it hardens, especially with a hard object, you'll ruin it.

IMPORTANT! Before doing this on your phone, practice on some scrap glossy plastic -- you can probably find plenty of old electronics or toys with suitable cases to be your guinea pigs. At first, you may screw it up, but you'll get a hang of it very quickly -- just need to try it. The more you soak your sponge, the smoother your surface will be. Use less solvent, and you'll get more pronounced texture. But if your sponge is too dry, you will just end up with ugly blemishes. Just experiment and find out what works best for you -- it's much easier to do than to describe, trust me. We were able to finish fairly large cases like this (surfaces approx. 20x20 cm or even more) with very good results -- the final look was very nice and professional. This is not just a theory -- it's a tried and true method! Just practice first, and you won't be disappointed.
Thanks seems great but do you have any picture or video of what does it looks like when it's done ,
Phone : Galaxy S II
Kernel : Dorimanx
Rom : Disaster ROM By Mirko DDD - 4.1.2 or RootBox nightly

Tablets : Archos 101 it - Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
CYANOBIZ - 4.0.4 - Stock - 4.1.2

kt-Froggy
Old
Thanks Meter 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by minidou-77 View Post
Thanks seems great but do you have any picture or video of what does it looks like when it's done ,
Man, last time I did this was some 20 years ago... It worked great, but sorry, no videos or photos. Don't experiment on your phone -- just take a scrap piece of plastic and try it out, see if you like the result.
Optimus G F180S, tweaked E975 Stock 4.1.2
Xperia X10 Mini, rooted stock 2.1
MeMO Pad HD 7 ME173X, rooted stock 4.2.2

To whom it may concern: STOP nagging about pressing the freakin' Thanks button!!! It is rude, stupid, and annoys the hell out of people. I am not an idiot who needs a huge in-my-face reminder to press it, and I will press it when I feel thankful, not because you asked for it!
The Following User Says Thank You to kt-Froggy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

0wn3d
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Im willing to do it to my S2 now the warranty is over... pics coming soon!

lovegambler
Old
Thanks Meter 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxcuzzme View Post
hey!

someone was wondering how white sgs2 will look with black frame
aaaaand heres are the results of my modification!

i did this with sponge, with tape on sides to cover white case.
looks like white sgs2 with "bumpers"
wow, literally this is some sweet sh*t
buddy can you please tell me how actually you got rid of that chrome.
owning a white s2 and the chrome has started to chip
would be great if you can guide me through the process
thanks
:Peace:
Hit "Thanks" if my post helped you in any way
Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-i9100
" I Luvvvvvv It "

ROM: AICP
Thanks to "Vivek_Neel"
Kernel: Gustavo's Kernel
Thanks to "Gustavo_s"
Modem: DDLS9

xxcuzzme
Old
(Last edited by xxcuzzme; 11th December 2013 at 06:25 PM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegambler View Post
wow, literally this is some sweet sh*t
buddy can you please tell me how actually you got rid of that chrome.
owning a white s2 and the chrome has started to chip
would be great if you can guide me through the process
thanks
:Peace:
Hey! If your chrome has already started to chip then it will be a lot easier.
Try with some harsh sandpaper or with flast screwdriwer! It should peel off. Dont worry about scratches you will get rid of them after using some P260 or higher grade sandpaper. And don't forget about protecting your glass/white case with some duck tape
Read some previous posts for new techniques.

Oh and for chrome that will still be in that area between bezel and glass use a needle or something similiar to get rid of that.
You wont scratch anything if you will be carefull, dont worry.

I'm thinking about to do same thing to my note 2, it has the same problem after over a year :/

Good luck buddy

The Following User Says Thank You to xxcuzzme For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]