5,600,234 Members 39,084 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy S2 screen replacement photo tutorial.

Tip us?

Prostheta
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 227

DONATE TO ME
Well it was a good long time ago now so I am sure that the suppliers and the market has shifted somewhat. I probably just searched eBay for "samsung galaxy i9100 screen -protector -film". Equally, "samsung galaxy i9100 screen" and filtering for all items over €30 would clarify the results. I wouldn't search for "housing".
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use" - Søren Kierkegaard
"It looks just like a Telefunken U47" - Frank Zappa

vantt1
Old
(Last edited by vantt1; 30th March 2013 at 10:10 AM.)
Thanks Meter 151
You might want to notify people about the fact that there are three main types of screens that you can buy off the internet.

1. Glass only (no digitizer circuit)

They are super cheap (~$10), but super useless. Many unsuspecting customers buy these, only to find out they don't do anything.

2. Whole AMOLED assembly WITHOUT frame

These are the minimum that you need to buy. They are trickier to install than the ones with frame, but slightly cheaper (only by about $10-$20). You need to use a hot air gun to remove the old screen from the frame, then retain the old frame. The new screen needs to be adhered using 3M double-sided tape. There is a risk of damaging the menu/back soft keys while removing the old broken screen.

3. Whole AMOLED assembly WITH frame

The best way to go, although the most expensive. All you need to do is remove the old screen along with the frame and replace it with the new one.

Previously Owned Phones:

Nokia 8310 | Sony Ericsson T68i | Samsung SGH-A701 | iPhone 3GS 32GB | Nokia N97 | Nokia X6 16GB

Current Android(s):
  • Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100 | RootBox v4.2 | SanDisk Class 10 Mobile Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC UHS-1

For added flamboyancy:
Old Androids:
  • Samsung Galaxy SII GT-i9100 (sold)
  • Samsung Galaxy SIII GT-i9305 4G LTE (given away (thread linked was removed by mod))
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vantt1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mali2003
Old
Thanks Meter 2
thx!

da_Mike
Old
Thanks Meter 6
thx for the tutorial

ladoslo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I had my screen broken before 2 weeks (not gorilla glass but display under gorilla glass (gorilla is still untouched)). I send my phone to local servicer and he wants 180 eur to repair it.
Then I saw this guide and it is awesome.
I decided to fix phone by myself. Which way should I choose? The whole AMOLED? I prefer it is the easiest.
I have never "opened and repaired" smartphone before.

Thank you for answers!

4shm3x
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi my sister has cracked her screen. The actual screen and digitizer seem fine so do you think it is just the top glass piece that's what it looks like to me. What do I search to get one and how would I repair it.

ogs2802
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Thank you just need to replace screen

Thank you just need to replace screen

wardarkmy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Cool man... I might try this on my cracked screen SGS2

jyanta
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for the great tutorial. Will be good to know just incase this happens.

tigger69
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Nice tut man. thx
HTCSimUnlock.com is a rip off site DO NOT USE.

Device-HOX 16GB

Rom- CM 10.1 / CWM 6.0.4.5 recovery

Tags
s2 screen replacement