Prepare Your Build Machines: Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn Now Official

Today is an important day for any and all Linux enthusiasts. One of the … more

Track the Time You Waste on Social Media with Socials Addict

When you use your phone, you often don’t even realize how much time you … more

Document the Story of Your Social Life with 8tory

The different forms of social media are growing every day. It’s hard to imagine a day … more

Make Calling Your Loved Ones Easier and Cheaper this Diwali

Diwali, or Deepawali as some Indians call it, is the pride and joy of Indian … more

[Q] HDMI cable

OP badasschris

3rd May 2011, 06:45 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

277 posts
Anyone know where one can be brought? also why have I read stuff about the s2 having mini usb? it doesn't it has the same propriety connector as the galaxy s.
3rd May 2011, 07:15 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 8

71 posts
It's MHL. It's the supposed new 'standard' for connectivity. I think most devices are using that connection nowadays. Last I heard was Clove saying the MHL adapters won't be out until June.
3rd May 2011, 07:21 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

277 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC1985

It's MHL. It's the supposed new 'standard' for connectivity. I think most devices are using that connection nowadays. Last I heard was Clove saying the MHL adapters won't be out until June.

really? so the original galaxy s had mhl as well? Any suggestions on what to do with my fancy new phone? so far apart from being super quick it just seems like a sleaker bigger galaxy s, I cant think of anything my galaxy s couldn't do :S

Oh I know I'm gonna see if the wii mote works on this thing
3rd May 2011, 08:50 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 23

104 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by badasschris

really? so the original galaxy s had mhl as well? Any suggestions on what to do with my fancy new phone? so far apart from being super quick it just seems like a sleaker bigger galaxy s, I cant think of anything my galaxy s couldn't do :S

Oh I know I'm gonna see if the wii mote works on this thing

I can't find any evidence that it did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_...efinition_Link

It's the new standard, but that doesn't mean older devices support it. The SGS2 is one of the first AFAIK
4th May 2011, 03:10 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 311

2,069 posts
More
But nothing on the market will currently work? HDMI out from a mobile is just supercool!
4th May 2011, 08:22 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 24

774 posts
I have both an sgs1 and sgs 2, my charger fits the micro usb (the only i/o connector) on the phones, perfectly
4th May 2011, 10:00 AM   |  #7  
Flag Glasgow
Thanks Meter: 7

335 posts
More
The connectors should be the same on the S1 and S2, but only the S2 is MHL compatible.

I think MHL can use any 5 pin connector to send an HDMI signal while receiving power for charging.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to use the MHL HDMI out and USB at the same time, but I hope this is possible.

I'm also guessing that the adaptor will need to be a clever one with circuitry rather than a passive adaptor. Does anyone know if this will definitely be the case, and if so I'd imagine it'll have cost implications! Hope I'm wrong and a passive adaptor is possible
4th May 2011, 10:26 AM   |  #8  
Flag Lancashire
Thanks Meter: 23

602 posts
More
Coming from a LG Optimus 2x, that came with a Micro USB ---> HDMI cable. These are available from Ebay for a GBP 10 - would these work?
4th May 2011, 10:57 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

277 posts
Yea guessing its just MHL compatible as the old port was usb compatible. Thats annoying, with all the talk of this new standard usb-hdmi port I was assuming it would use a standard connector and not a proprietary one.

It stupid really if all manufacturers used the same connector we wouldn't have to have multiple chargers/docks/cables
4th May 2011, 12:10 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 934

2,408 posts
You can't use the USB port for MHL and USB functions at the same time, this is confirmed (if you search for MHL at youTube there is a great video with a person from the MHL consortium explaining it).

To badasschris: this isn't a proprietary port. Samsung, Nokia, Sony, HTC, Toshiba, and quite a few other partners are involved with it, it seems likely to become the standard for mobile devices (iPhone aside, I am sure Apply will continue to push their proprietary ports).

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread