Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,310 Members 45,554 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] HDMI cable

Tip us?

badasschris
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] HDMI cable

Anyone know where one can be brought? also why have I read stuff about the s2 having mini usb? it doesn't it has the same propriety connector as the galaxy s.

DVC1985
Old
Thanks Meter 8
It's MHL. It's the supposed new 'standard' for connectivity. I think most devices are using that connection nowadays. Last I heard was Clove saying the MHL adapters won't be out until June.

badasschris
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC1985 View Post
It's MHL. It's the supposed new 'standard' for connectivity. I think most devices are using that connection nowadays. Last I heard was Clove saying the MHL adapters won't be out until June.
really? so the original galaxy s had mhl as well? Any suggestions on what to do with my fancy new phone? so far apart from being super quick it just seems like a sleaker bigger galaxy s, I cant think of anything my galaxy s couldn't do :S

Oh I know I'm gonna see if the wii mote works on this thing

Xero Xenith
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by badasschris View Post
really? so the original galaxy s had mhl as well? Any suggestions on what to do with my fancy new phone? so far apart from being super quick it just seems like a sleaker bigger galaxy s, I cant think of anything my galaxy s couldn't do :S

Oh I know I'm gonna see if the wii mote works on this thing
I can't find any evidence that it did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_...efinition_Link

It's the new standard, but that doesn't mean older devices support it. The SGS2 is one of the first AFAIK

bmstrong
Old
Thanks Meter 309
But nothing on the market will currently work? HDMI out from a mobile is just supercool!

ice_coffee
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I have both an sgs1 and sgs 2, my charger fits the micro usb (the only i/o connector) on the phones, perfectly

DavidMc0
Old
Thanks Meter 7
The connectors should be the same on the S1 and S2, but only the S2 is MHL compatible.

I think MHL can use any 5 pin connector to send an HDMI signal while receiving power for charging.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to use the MHL HDMI out and USB at the same time, but I hope this is possible.

I'm also guessing that the adaptor will need to be a clever one with circuitry rather than a passive adaptor. Does anyone know if this will definitely be the case, and if so I'd imagine it'll have cost implications! Hope I'm wrong and a passive adaptor is possible
Current phone: Nexus 5

Previous phones: HTC Kaiser, SE Xperia X1, HTC HD, HTC Pro2, HTC HD2, HTC Desire Z, Galaxy S2, HTC One X, Galaxy Note 2

saquib
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Coming from a LG Optimus 2x, that came with a Micro USB ---> HDMI cable. These are available from Ebay for a GBP 10 - would these work?

badasschris
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Yea guessing its just MHL compatible as the old port was usb compatible. Thats annoying, with all the talk of this new standard usb-hdmi port I was assuming it would use a standard connector and not a proprietary one.

It stupid really if all manufacturers used the same connector we wouldn't have to have multiple chargers/docks/cables

NZtechfreak
Old
Thanks Meter 913
You can't use the USB port for MHL and USB functions at the same time, this is confirmed (if you search for MHL at youTube there is a great video with a person from the MHL consortium explaining it).

To badasschris: this isn't a proprietary port. Samsung, Nokia, Sony, HTC, Toshiba, and quite a few other partners are involved with it, it seems likely to become the standard for mobile devices (iPhone aside, I am sure Apply will continue to push their proprietary ports).
Twitter: @nztechfreak
Blogs: androidnz.net, blog.clove.co.uk
Facebook: http://goo.gl/baZHQ