5,595,196 Members 46,003 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

MHL cuts off the WIFI and Phone signal

Tip us?

ctomgee
Old
(Last edited by ctomgee; 11th April 2012 at 08:50 AM.)
Thanks Meter 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash05 View Post
sorry, my statements are not clear.

i just assumed that if you use micro USB to HDMI it will not work because it needs external or additional power.

i got that idea when i tried to use MHL HDTV Adapter + HDMI without extra power connected to the MHL.

but i might be wrong. maybe sgs2 detected MHL so i need to connect extra power. if you use micro USB to HDMI without MHL it might work.

im not really sure i hope somebody can confirm.
No, not how MHL works. It NEEDS power. If the HDMI port you plug into is MHL compliant (and not many are, yet) then it will draw power from there. Otherwise, the MHL adapter will need an AC adapter plugged into it for it to work.

Edit to add: you also seem to think you can use a micro USB to HDMI adapter that is non-MHL on this phone. That won't work either. (if I'm misinterpreting that, I apologize)
I never wanted to have a signature, but it seems I must. Please do not PM me directly for technical support. I mean it! No exceptions! Thank you.

Everyone (esPECIALLY n00bs) should read this.

Flash05
Old
Thanks Meter 54
ah so it will only work if the target device is MHL compliant. otherwise i need to manually power it.

so microUSB to HDMI will still work provided the TV is mhl compliant.

correct, right?
Nexus phone from here onwards!
Nexus S, 4 + 4, 7 (2012) & 7 3G (2013)!
Motorola Moto G (dual sim)!

ctomgee
Old
Thanks Meter 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash05 View Post
ah so it will only work if the target device is MHL compliant. otherwise i need to manually power it.

so microUSB to HDMI will still work provided the TV is mhl compliant.

correct, right?
Again, as long as you're using an MHL adapter. There also exist non-MHL micro USB to HDMI adapters, which don't have the necessary internal electronics.
I never wanted to have a signature, but it seems I must. Please do not PM me directly for technical support. I mean it! No exceptions! Thank you.

BopNiblets
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Hi guys, thanks for the advice to change the Wifi channel, that seemed to work for me, although it is incredibly slow, too slow to even stream a HD Youtube video, is this the same for everyone?
I recall I had it working for a while when I bought the MHL back in August 2011, but somewhere along the line the wifi started dropping.
I'm using a BizLink MHL, original power adapter, Pure ICS 4.0.3 (but it was the same on GB)
And I've changed to channel 5 (from 11) on a Linksys Wireless-N router.

Any help with moar speed would be cool!

ctomgee
Old
Thanks Meter 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by BopNiblets View Post
Hi guys, thanks for the advice to change the Wifi channel, that seemed to work for me, although it is incredibly slow, too slow to even stream a HD Youtube video, is this the same for everyone?
I recall I had it working for a while when I bought the MHL back in August 2011, but somewhere along the line the wifi started dropping.
I'm using a BizLink MHL, original power adapter, Pure ICS 4.0.3 (but it was the same on GB)
And I've changed to channel 5 (from 11) on a Linksys Wireless-N router.

Any help with moar speed would be cool!
Try moar channels.

DrSlump76
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Hi, i got the same problems here with a genuine samsung hdtv adapter and the official ics 4.0.3. rom (XWLP7), using the original power adapter, all connected to a samsung lcd tv.

ctomgee
Old
Thanks Meter 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSlump76 View Post
Hi, i got the same problems here with a genuine samsung hdtv adapter and the official ics 4.0.3. rom (XWLP7), using the original power adapter, all connected to a samsung lcd tv.
Did you read the last couple pages of this thread?

morgoth12
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I got the same wifi issues as others mentioned.
Can someone explain to me why the wifi channel supposedly matters?
I mean my sgs2 works fine with the wifi channel it's on so how can using a MHL adapter make a difference?? I don't get it.

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

changing channels did fix my wifi issue as well but i'm still baffled why it would matter at all?

Got a couple more questions:
How safe is it to use anower power adapter connected to the MHL adapter as has been suggested? What specs for current/voltage would work/should suffice?
When the phone is connected to the tv and it gets a call hdmi output gets dropped and besides that the image isnt always stable when changing phone orientation or resolution...i can get just "snow" and sound ticks for a few moments.
I got overscan issues as well..part of the image of the phone isnt displayed..anyting i can do to fix this?
Will updating to ICS 4.0.3 make a difference at all? My phone is still on Gingerbread 2.3.6 .
Last question: is it normal to have my tv displaying 1920x1280@30Hz when i connect the phone? (Samsung TV) i seemed to recall other devices connect @60Hz?

ctomgee
Old
Thanks Meter 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgoth12 View Post
I got the same wifi issues as others mentioned.
Can someone explain to me why the wifi channel supposedly matters?
I mean my sgs2 works fine with the wifi channel it's on so how can using a MHL adapter make a difference?? I don't get it.

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

changing channels did fix my wifi issue as well but i'm still baffled why it would matter at all?
It matters, because even if WiFi is a wireless signal, and HDMI through MHL is a wired signal, they're both still signals. Once you connect the HDMI cable to the MHL adapter, it may create signal interference that is affecting the specific frequency of the WiFi channel you are using. For example - you remember TV rabbit ear antennas, and FM radio antennas? You notice when you adjust them, when you're touching the antenna itself, the signal quality can be affected? In this case, when you connect the HDMI cable, it may create a localized signal on the phone that blocks the WiFi signal of the frequency that channel uses. Changing the channel changes the frequency (very slightly). I'd wager a bet that using an HDMI cable of a different length (much like lengthening or shortening an antenna) will also affect this, but I've never experimented with it, since I've never actually had the problem happen to me personally.

Quote:
Got a couple more questions:
How safe is it to use anower power adapter connected to the MHL adapter as has been suggested? What specs for current/voltage would work/should suffice?
I've used a Blackberry charger (5v, 750mAh, which is the same as the charger that came with my phone) just fine. I've read others have used up to 1A chargers, but again, I've never tried personally.

Quote:
When the phone is connected to the tv and it gets a call hdmi output gets dropped and besides that the image isnt always stable when changing phone orientation or resolution...i can get just "snow" and sound ticks for a few moments.
I got overscan issues as well..part of the image of the phone isnt displayed..anyting i can do to fix this?
I can't answer these... sorry.

Quote:
Will updating to ICS 4.0.3 make a difference at all? My phone is still on Gingerbread 2.3.6 .
Not sure, (I'm also still on 2.3.6) are you talking about the signal interference, or the questions regarding receiving a call while plugged into MHL and overscan?

Quote:
Last question: is it normal to have my tv displaying 1920x1280@30Hz when i connect the phone? (Samsung TV) i seemed to recall other devices connect @60Hz?
I can't answer this, I never checked the resolution. Sorry. Maybe someone else knows.

The Following User Says Thank You to ctomgee For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

morgoth12
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for replying.
With regards to updating to ICS I meant any change whatsoever.
According to this post http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...21&postcount=6 it won't matter at all if you change the power adapter connected to the MHL adapter.
Can anyone confirm?