Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,670 Members 44,525 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

USB Jig not working on phone ICS

Tip us?
m.kochan10 Old
(Last edited by m.kochan10; 14th May 2012 at 07:47 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Because u apparently have an old bootloader. Flashing a custom rom via CWM does not affect your bootloader. Only FW-packages do that. You can still have a custom rom based on ICS and old GB bootloader.

I've always reset the counter and got rid of the triangle this way:

1)Flash an old bootloader via Odin (u can find it here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1075278)
2)turn the phone off and insert jig
3)Flash ICS bootloader back

Switching between bootloaders can be risky if installation process goes wrong, but I have never had any single issue with that. I've done it several times and it has always worked like a charm. (Doesn't matter if your device came with preinstalled ICS, for example my freshest handset was produced in april this year and thus it came with 4.0.3 by default - The method above still works on it.)

And BTW. I don't think this topic should belong this section.

brezzo
Old
Thanks Meter 14
If you're on ICS and want to stay on ICS, you can just use this app:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1494114

Otherwise, you'll need to flash whatever stock rom you need and then I guess you can use your jig.
Nokia 6300 [RIP] HTC Desire HD [RIP] LG Optimus 2X (CM9) Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100 LG Google Nexus 5

JohnN6
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Why the JIG doesn't work and how to make it work

The JIG that is commonly made/sold is a partial copy of Samsung's Anyway JIG BOX. It copied the box by putting a 301K resistor across pins 4&5 of the micro USB pins. This became well known.

The Bootloader was changed so that the presence of the Resistor is checked for during a short period immediately after flashing and ( I think ) it requires the USB power to be present.
If you make a USB to Micro USB cable with the 301K resistor in place as usual ( pins 4 & 5 ) and connect this to your PC and to the phone, the the JIG Cable will work with the current new style bootloaders exactly as before.

The nice thing is that it is now easier to make as as the micro usb was difficult to open and solder .. but the USB end has more space.
If you want to know more look at the Fairchild FSA9280A-88 Datasheet & 3200
Samsung Galaxy S2
Unlocked & Rooted
Carrier Orange UK
Formerly G1 running CyanogenMod 6.1
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnN6 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ammar1514
Old
Thanks Meter 94
you can use "triangle away" app to reset counter on ICS and if you are already rooted then just use mobile odin to flash ...that wont reset your counter

manmad
Old
Thanks Meter 119

DONATE TO ME
i used this app to reset my counter: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ngleaway&hl=en

Its for free somewhere on these forums though

TWeaKoR
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN6 View Post
If you make a USB to Micro USB cable with the 301K resistor in place as usual ( pins 4 & 5 ) and connect this to your PC and to the phone, the the JIG Cable will work with the current new style bootloaders exactly as before.
I heard that Sammy had blocked this, didn't realise there was still a way to get it working! One thing though, where are you soldering the resistor if it's plugged into the PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmad View Post
i used this app to reset my counter: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ngleaway&hl=en

Its for free somewhere on these forums though
Somewhere, I wonder where *eyes look up*

ammar1514
Old
Thanks Meter 94
you can get it from here...the official thread for the app http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1494114

JohnN6
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWeaKoR View Post
One thing though, where are you soldering the resistor if it's plugged into the PC?
I cut open a mini-to-micro USB adaptor, and soldered a 301k resistor across the pins in the adaptor. I used sleeving to stop shorts from the resistor leads.

I used the adaptor with a standard USB-Mini USB 1m cable left over from another gadget.
John
Samsung Galaxy S2
Unlocked & Rooted
Carrier Orange UK
Formerly G1 running CyanogenMod 6.1
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnN6 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TWeaKoR
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN6 View Post
I cut open a mini-to-micro USB adaptor, and soldered a 301k resistor across the pins in the adaptor. I used sleeving to stop shorts from the resistor leads.

I used the adaptor with a standard USB-Mini USB 1m cable left over from another gadget.
John
Ahh good thinking. I was wondering since it'd probably be much harder to do with just a micro usb cable. Might try and make one myself this summer, hopefully I'll never need it but it could be a bit of fun. Cheers man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammar1514 View Post
you can get it from here...the official thread for the app http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1494114
Yeah I know where to get it lol, was just referring to the fact that someone else already linked to the thread at the top of this page

santiagos5
Old
Thanks Meter 1
i think the best away is triangle away on ics. it works very well on my S2. never a problem, always works.

Tags
usb jig cyanogenmod kernel samsung