5,605,835 Members 47,681 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy S II Android Development

Tip us?

svetius
Old
(Last edited by svetius; 19th July 2011 at 11:23 AM.)
User Experience Admin - OP
Thanks Meter 2630
Talking Galaxy S II Android Development

Hey everyone,

We've made a small change to this forum by giving it a different name. This is now the *default* Android development forum for Galaxy S II. Any works that are completely original will be filed in the Original Android Development forum. Everything else will go here.

We have a more long-term solution to the ROM situation in the works. It'll be a database-driven ROM upload tool that will make it super easy for users to find and rate the ROMs that you upload. You'll be hearing more about this in the coming months.

For now, please continue to provide feedback. Thank you for your help in making XDA a more organized place.

Thanks!

P.S. If you think your ROM should be placed in the Original Android Development forum, send me a PM.
svetius
-----
User Experience Admin
xda-developers
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to svetius For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tomj777
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Sveitus,

I am dissapointed that the original explainatory thread was closed without reason after it was collecting opposing comments. Not cool.

I believe what you've posted (not done, I am confident that this was done with some consultation, somewhere) should be discussed in a wider context.
To that end, I've opened a thread in the XDA general forum with an admittedly emotive title "First and Second Class ROMS, 1st, 2nd class users". Please track this thread, assuming it's not lost amidst the noise.

I would have posted my concerns in the original notification thread except...

What gives?
I9505 curiously near stock.... Not sure how that's so...

Now with daugther:
I9100 Running AOKP Nightlies with Dorimanx
Previously: HTC HD2, XDA Orbit 2 (Polaris), XDA Orbit (Artemis)
Mandatory reading for battery life: BetterBatteryStats
Aesop: No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
The Following User Says Thank You to tomj777 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kryptoner
Old
Thanks Meter 370
Just imagine someone from sensation comes here and sees two development threads...
Sensation owners must be jealous by now..

khein
Old
Thanks Meter 32
But why is this only done on the GALAXY S2 subforums? Please, implement this on all phone subforum. I want to see how others would react.

Still think this is a stupid idea. If devs don't want other devs recycling their works, better not publish it. Or you can just close the thread of the ROM that was derived from an another ROM without permission/due credit.

giokou
Old
Thanks Meter 46
The current situation is not something new to all of us.

There were always have been such ''issues'' among the rom developers.

xda team the way you chose to work this out is not good at all.

I'm starting to think that you don't listen to the majority of the users...

You hear a few dev's that probably are jealous of others...

This is not right for the community.

I personally am not supporting anyone particularly, but you must find another solution.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to giokou For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RE795
Old
(Last edited by RE795; 19th July 2011 at 04:47 PM.)
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by giokou View Post
The current situation is not something new to all of us.

There were always have been such ''issues'' among the rom developers.

xda team the way you chose to work this out is not good at all.

I'm starting to think that you don't listen to the majority of the users...

You hear a few dev's that probably are jealous of others...

This is not right for the community.

I personally am not supporting anyone particularly, but you must find another solution.
I 100% support this view...

If this is the case, then no custom roms should be in "original" section, as they are all derived from the stock manufacturer's roms.
Blessings!
RE795
The Following User Says Thank You to RE795 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jlevy73
Old
Thanks Meter 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by khein View Post
But why is this only done on the GALAXY S2 subforums? Please, implement this on all phone subforum. I want to see how others would react.

Still think this is a stupid idea. If devs don't want other devs recycling their works, better not publish it. Or you can just close the thread of the ROM that was derived from an another ROM without permission/due credit.
All hell would break lose and their would be a mass exodus of developers and some pissed off members.

And why was the other thread closed. Perhaps XDA didn't like that all the negative PR they were getting. This plan was poorly conceived and executed. And to make it worse, XDA is being the judge, jury and executioner.

zikarus
Old
Thanks Meter 63
I am quite disappointed that this unjustified separation and disqualification of some devs work is still not corrected. You justified your step by "feedback" asking for it. I believe you are severely misleading people here.

You earned a lot of justified feedback in the first thread being deleted meanwhile and still you don't get things sorted out.

It is obviously totally wrong to piss off devs and force them to prove they are not guilty of what you may think. It ought to be the other way around: you should have a prove to claim what you state before you behave (and take action) the way you did. Some kind of US wild west mentality around here. I understand when people think that you only try to protect some of the devs being closer to you or being longer active on xda than some others. The selection of Roms being put to one or the other section proves that already since there seems to be no logic behind your decisions. Some early birds being put to the second class thread while some others who have just released quite usual stuff but were active with other hardware before have been put to the first class thread. And till now no kind of explanation why this or that Rom has been put here or there? What about Litenin e.g. which has been asked for a dozen times in the first, deleted thread ?

And above all: what kind of guilt do you think of ?

We are talking about open source here and all Roms are derived from Samsung stuff except for CM / MIUI. So where does originality start and where does it end? And who may decide: Even if a custom ROM was copied from another custom one in the first step it might have become an own developement over time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zikarus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DaveShaw
Old
Retired Senior Moderator + Wiki Bureaucrat
Thanks Meter 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
All hell would break lose and their would be a mass exodus of developers and some pissed off members.

And why was the other thread closed. Perhaps XDA didn't like that all the negative PR they were getting. This plan was poorly conceived and executed. And to make it worse, XDA is being the judge, jury and executioner.
The other thread was closed because it was a discussion on the Derived ROMs Forum format, which as you state wasn't what we hoped it would be. So, changed the forum format. The old discussion was closed and a new one started to discuss this iteration. The thread was also started and stuck by svetius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zikarus View Post
I am quite disappointed that this unjustified separation and disqualification of some devs work is still not corrected. You justified your step by "feedback" asking for it. I believe you are severely misleading people here.

You earned a lot of justified feedback in the first thread being deleted meanwhile and still you don't get things sorted out.

It is obviously totally wrong to piss off devs and force them to prove they are not guilty of what you may think. It ought to be the other way around: you should have a prove to claim what you state before you behave (and take action) the way you did. Some kind of US wild west mentality around here. I understand when people think that you only try to protect some of the devs being closer to you or being longer active on xda than some others. The selection of Roms being put to one or the other section proves that already since there seems to be no logic behind your decisions. Some early birds being put to the second class thread while some others who have just released quite usual stuff but were active with other hardware before have been put to the first class thread. And till now no kind of explanation why this or that Rom has been put here or there? What about Litenin e.g. which has been asked for a dozen times in the first, deleted thread ?

And above all: what kind of guilt do you think of ?

We are talking about open source here and all Roms are derived from Samsung stuff except for CM / MIUI. So where does originality start and where does it end? And who may decide: Even if a custom ROM was copied from another custom one in the first step it might have become an own developement over time.
The thread hasn't been deleted, it's been closed. The reasons (while obvious) are above.
--Retired.

mostyle
Old
Thanks Meter 164
Default Clearer..

<sarcasm>

This titling does make it clearer..

Example:

Original Development: CM7

It's built from the ground up with a myriad of coded additions to be a truly 'Original' product.

Development: Everything else

All other ROMS are stock deodexed upgrades.

</sarcasm>
If you found this useful please say thanks!
Current device: Google Nexus 5 (running Cataclysm ROM with misc tweaks added)
Previous devices: AT&T Galaxy S4, AT&T Galaxy Note II running CARBON 1.7 with Bravia enabled, AT&T Galaxy S2 (Skyrocket)

Definition of development finally explained with visuals included.

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe